The Student Room Group

gcse drama help!!! devising ideas??

okay so we have been given a stimulus for our devised drama piece and it is the nursery rhyme: 'Georgie Porgie' but it has a twist as the exam board changed it to say: "he kissed the boys too -- he's funny that way"

but, every idea that my group has had, my teacher has shot them down and said they were "a bit naff" so it's making the rest in my group annoyed and fed up, so no one is bothering to think (because we can't anymore!!!!) it's also leaving me even more anxious to go to lesson (worsening my social anxiety) which isn't what should happen at school.

the relationship between myself and my teacher is also declining, and we used to be really close.
if anyone could help at ALL, I would be incredibly grateful, and I wouldn't be able to thank you enough. any ideas for a piece of drama 'out of the box' or 'strange and unusual' would really help me out A LOT :smile:)

this would really help me and my group out a lot, and hopefully bring back my love for the subject because atm I'm hating it, if I'm being honest.
Original post by ohitslivv
okay so we have been given a stimulus for our devised drama piece and it is the nursery rhyme: 'Georgie Porgie' but it has a twist as the exam board changed it to say: "he kissed the boys too -- he's funny that way"

but, every idea that my group has had, my teacher has shot them down and said they were "a bit naff" so it's making the rest in my group annoyed and fed up, so no one is bothering to think (because we can't anymore!!!!) it's also leaving me even more anxious to go to lesson (worsening my social anxiety) which isn't what should happen at school.

the relationship between myself and my teacher is also declining, and we used to be really close.
if anyone could help at ALL, I would be incredibly grateful, and I wouldn't be able to thank you enough. any ideas for a piece of drama 'out of the box' or 'strange and unusual' would really help me out A LOT :smile:)

this would really help me and my group out a lot, and hopefully bring back my love for the subject because atm I'm hating it, if I'm being honest.

are you with edexcel?
Reply 2
Original post by Theexterminator
are you with edexcel?

yes
Maybe you could give us examples of the ideas the teacher disliked? I've started my devising drama but I'm with OCR.
I'm not sure whether your exam board allows it but my teacher said that we are allowed to make our performances political (so we include problems such as race, gender inequality, human rights etc in our pieces if we wish).
The first idea that came to my mind was gay rights and being bisexual. I'm not sure what it is you could create with that or whether your exam board allows controversial topics and you've probably already had this idea. If you could post what ideas have been declined and the full poem I'll try and help :smile:
Couldn't you focus upon the idea about "he's funny that way?" How people treat homosexuality as a disease or something which is not serious- throughout the piece you could represent it as a disease- representing the way people think?

same, im stressed too I have started my own Gcse Drama devised piece!
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, I am doing my GCSE Devised piece with OCR as well. What stimulus have you chosen?
Original post by stressedasian
Hi, I am doing my GCSE Devised piece with OCR as well. What stimulus have you chosen?

My group and I have chosen the Rising Tide sculpture. What about you?
Reply 7
Couldn't you focus upon the idea about "he's funny that way?" How people treat homosexuality as a disease or something which is not serious- throughout the piece you could represent it as a disease- representing the way people think?

same, im stressed too I have started my own Gcse Drama devised piece!

that's actually a really interesting way to look at it -- thank you!! we've almost finished our unit 2 piece (devising) now and soon will start unit 3 where we can look at script work (directing etc) which will be a big relief hahah! Good luck with your devising :smile:
Specchio Falso- the eye painting and am currently searching for ideas which wont be cliche
Specchio Falso- the eye painting and am currently searching for ideas which wont be cliche

That's a good one! My best friends drama group is doing that one. I haven't really looked into it but maybe you could do something about how people see only what they want to see? Or about how everyone's perception is different?
I hope it goes well!
thankyou so much! luckily I have found an idea which I think could really work!
Reply 11
What about a basing your piece on sexual orientation - or homosexuality. Look at the difficulties Georgie might face. Georgie as a girl liking a girl. Or Georgie who is unsure. Lots of different Georgies - seaching for who they really are? R.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending