The Student Room Group

summer schools i can apply to

basically i've been looking through summer schools for year 12 students. i was hoping to do one to do with medicine, problem is i don't fit any criteria.

both parents went to uni,
annual income is more than £45k
i don't go to a low performing school
my postcode is not a bad one (idk the correct terminology)

my current grades at AS are AAAA so i'm not too worried about that aspect, but does anyone have any suggestions? I *THINK* QMUL has one that I can apply to, but any others?
Can you afford to pay for one? There are some options which aren't free. UNIQ could have been one that you might have had a chance with, but applications closed like a 5 mins ago.
Original post by rosie.mn
Can you afford to pay for one? There are some options which aren't free. UNIQ could have been one that you might have had a chance with, but applications closed like a 5 mins ago.

i saw, tbh i'm not gonna burden my parents to fork out £4k for a summer school, for all i know i'll be away this summer...
srsly :sigh:

LITERALLY FIVE MINUTES AGO I'M DONE :rofl:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
How about the debate chamber?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by homeland.lsw
i saw, tbh i'm not gonna burden my parents to fork out £4k for a summer school, for all i know i'll be away this summer...
srsly :sigh:

LITERALLY FIVE MINUTES AGO I'M DONE :rofl:

Yeah it's a lot of money - especially if you're in a situation where you're not elligible for free ones but not super wealthy, it can be a bit tricky. I would say just snoop around on individual universities websites! You might find something. Yeah unfortunately! They had a few criteria but it was mainly based on GCSE results, a PS.
Yeah it's a lot of money - especially if you're in a situation where you're not elligible for free ones but not super wealthy, it can be a bit tricky. I would say just snoop around on individual universities websites! You might find something. Yeah unfortunately! They had a few criteria but it was mainly based on GCSE results, a PS.

well **** mother****er **** ****. out of curiosity did u apply for any other ones?

Original post by Nye2001
How about the debate chamber?

Posted from TSR Mobile

it's cheaper than the others i've seen, but again, i'm not willing out to fork out large sums of money for this. thanks though :smile:
well **** mother****er **** ****. out of curiosity did u apply for any other ones?

it's cheaper than the others i've seen, but again, i'm not willing out to fork out large sums of money for this. thanks though :smile:

I applied for Cambridge through the Sutton Trust, UNIQ, Lancaster and I'm already on an Oxford one.
I applied for Cambridge through the Sutton Trust, UNIQ, Lancaster and I'm already on an Oxford one.

save some for the rest of us :emo:
i'm gonna try my luck with sutton trust cambridge med. but gosh, i doubt i'd get a space lmao.
also deffo gonna apply for the QMUL cos i'm in one of the target london boroughs :woo:
I'm in a similar situation, I attend a private school on a partial scholarship - some summer schools look amazing but I can't apply because I don't go to a state school, even though my family are working class and wouldn't be able to fork out however much some cost which are open for all :frown:
save some for the rest of us :emo:
i'm gonna try my luck with sutton trust cambridge med. but gosh, i doubt i'd get a space lmao.
also deffo gonna apply for the QMUL cos i'm in one of the target london boroughs :woo:

Sorry haha! I just figured that the more I applied to the more chance I have of getting in at least one. It's worth a try, but Sutton Trust tends to allow the people who fit the most criteria on first. I'm worried I won't get a place because I went to an okay high school and pretty good college. Good luck!
Wait I thought the Summer Schools were free... Must have been wrong lol I won't be paying that amount of money for a few days at a Uni:s-smilie:

I meet the 3 essential criteria but none of the other criteria (the contextual factors like being the first generation to go to University...)
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
I'm in a similar situation, I attend a private school on a partial scholarship - some summer schools look amazing but I can't apply because I don't go to a state school, even though my family are working class and wouldn't be able to fork out however much some cost which are open for all :frown:

QMUL opens on the 20th feb, apply to that one, it's the most likely one to accept you
Reply 12
QMUL opens on the 20th feb, apply to that one, it's the most likely one to accept you

Alternatively pick a number of UoL tasters:
http://www.london.ac.uk/5197.html

There's a good range to pick from.
For medicine actually getting some care related work experience under your belt over the summer would be more beneficial than a summer school....plus you'd have some money in your pocket.

Alternatively if you can't find paid work then volunteering at a hospice or for something like http://revitalise.org.uk/volunteer/ would again be more use than a summer school experience.

You'll be applying in 9 months time - that gives you not a huge amount of time to get enough experience to really understand the career and the course you're committing to.
Original post by PQ
For medicine actually getting some care related work experience under your belt over the summer would be more beneficial than a summer school....plus you'd have some money in your pocket.

Alternatively if you can't find paid work then volunteering at a hospice or for something like http://revitalise.org.uk/volunteer/ would again be more use than a summer school experience.

You'll be applying in 9 months time - that gives you not a huge amount of time to get enough experience to really understand the career and the course you're committing to.

I've done two weeks shadowing a gynaecologist
two weeks shadowing an orthopaedic surgeon
two weeks shadowing a plastic surgeon
i have two weeks in a fertility lab in UCL in june

i'm doing volunteering in a local carehome (i started last september, go every friday for 2 hours) and i go to a primary school every week to teach the piano to students.

i was just seeing about summer schools too :smile:
Original post by jneill
Alternatively pick a number of UoL tasters:
http://www.london.ac.uk/5197.html

There's a good range to pick from.

thanks so much, i've already put forward an application :biggrin:
Reply 16
Guys, anyone going to the Carpe Diem Scholars Spring School? I've booked part 1, their medicine course looks pretty good although it looks quite full on

Quick Reply

Latest