The Student Room Group

Should I ask to change module?

I'm currently in Year 12, taking Maths, F.Maths, CS and Physics. For Maths, the modules are C1,C2,C3,C4,S1,D1. These are the modules the school has chosen to teach throughout the 2 years. We've done C1 and are currently doing C2 and S1, split with 2 teachers. In Further Maths, we've done D1,FP1, and will be doing D2 for the AS exams in the summer. This means that for the full A Levels next year we would be doing 3 more modules. My teacher plans on doing FP2, probably S2 and D2.

Here is the problem. I'm currently being taught S1. Although I believe I can get good marks in the exam, I'm just learning it as it is and I'm not really interested in understanding how stuff works, etc... I find the subject boring and tedious. This is not really the teacher's fault, I just don't find it interesting.

As a result, I need to try really hard with the S1 exam in the summer, as I do hope to get A*s in both Maths and F.Maths after the 2 years. But I don't want to do any Stats next year; I don't think I would do very well with a lack of interest in the end, and it's a less safe option than picking Mechanics imo. I'm debating on asking my teacher to teach S2 to my one FM classmate, and let me self-teach M3. I'm currently doing Physics and have an interest in it as I find it interesting and applicable to my aspirations as a games programmer. I guess I need advice regarding what to do, and what S2 or M3 are like...
Reply 1
Original post by TKLovesScience
I'm currently in Year 12, taking Maths, F.Maths, CS and Physics. For Maths, the modules are C1,C2,C3,C4,S1,D1. These are the modules the school has chosen to teach throughout the 2 years. We've done C1 and are currently doing C2 and S1, split with 2 teachers. In Further Maths, we've done D1,FP1, and will be doing D2 for the AS exams in the summer. This means that for the full A Levels next year we would be doing 3 more modules. My teacher plans on doing FP2, probably S2 and D2.

Here is the problem. I'm currently being taught S1. Although I believe I can get good marks in the exam, I'm just learning it as it is and I'm not really interested in understanding how stuff works, etc... I find the subject boring and tedious. This is not really the teacher's fault, I just don't find it interesting.

As a result, I need to try really hard with the S1 exam in the summer, as I do hope to get A*s in both Maths and F.Maths after the 2 years. But I don't want to do any Stats next year; I don't think I would do very well with a lack of interest in the end, and it's a less safe option than picking Mechanics imo. I'm debating on asking my teacher to teach S2 to my one FM classmate, and let me self-teach M3. I'm currently doing Physics and have an interest in it as I find it interesting and applicable to my aspirations as a games programmer. I guess I need advice regarding what to do, and what S2 or M3 are like...

Have a talk with your teachers. Each school chooses modules based on what modules teachers feel comfortable in teaching, and have been trained in. The chances of them changing is quite low, provided that most people complain and they have a member of staff that is capable of and have taught this module before.

S1 is by far one of the easiest modules, so I'd recommend you using ExamSolutions, and doing past paper questions regularly to get a good mark.
Original post by kkboyk
Have a talk with your teachers. Each school chooses modules based on what modules teachers feel comfortable in teaching, and have been trained in. The chances of them changing is quite low, provided that most people complain and they have a member of staff that is capable of and have taught this module before.

S1 is by far one of the easiest modules, so I'd recommend you using ExamSolutions, and doing past paper questions regularly to get a good mark.

It's not that I find the modules difficult. It just doesn't interest me or benefit me at all. I am confident in self-teaching myself as I learn programming myself too...
Reply 3
It's not that I find the modules difficult. It just doesn't interest me or benefit me at all. I am confident in self-teaching myself as I learn programming myself too...

To be honest, A-level Maths won't benefit you much in general except teach you the basics you'll need if you're going to do Comp Sci or related filed (all the other advanced Maths content will be taught from scratch).

I didn't find any interest in the applied modules either, but you just have to power your way through (especially since it's an easy module).
Reply 4

You are not allowed to do M3 without M1. All 2s/3s in the same series can only be done if you have finished the 1s.
Original post by ML8020
You are not allowed to do M3 without M1. All 2s/3s in the same series can only be done if you have finished the 1s.

Yeah, I said we're doing M1 next year too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending