The Student Room Group

Further maths A level

Is further maths reformed? As in, if I want to do the full A level do I have to take AS level exams at the end of year 1? I know that normal maths is not so if I want to do the whole A level I still have to do the AS level exams, but is it the same or further maths? Exam board is Edexcel if that's relevant.
Original post by hpblcparaboloid
Is further maths reformed? As in, if I want to do the full A level do I have to take AS level exams at the end of year 1? I know that normal maths is not so if I want to do the whole A level I still have to do the AS level exams, but is it the same or further maths? Exam board is Edexcel if that's relevant.

To my knowledge, Maths and Fmaths will be done at the same time. Edexcel will have a guide to reforms with a timeline of last years to study old spec stuff, and iirc maths and fmaths are done at the same time. So you should be okay.
Original post by SeanFM
To my knowledge, Maths and Fmaths will be done at the same time. Edexcel will have a guide to reforms with a timeline of last years to study old spec stuff, and iirc maths and fmaths are done at the same time. So you should be okay.

There is only 3 exams at the end of year 13 for normal A-Level Maths right?
Original post by s.mehmood

Per year, yes.

Both Maths and Further Maths become linear from September 2107's Year 12 cohort.
Original post by SeanFM
Per year, yes.

Oh ok. Thank you. :smile:
Reply 6

AS and A Level will become separate so you won't need to do any AS Level exams for A Level. You can do 3 papers at the end of Year 2 to get the A Level.

Maths will be the only subject where it will be possible to take the exam in 2018 (the first year of linear exams). This is so that schools can teach A Level Maths in Year 1 and A Level Further Maths in year 2. Some schools will not offer this and will instead teach both in parallel over the two years and their students will take all Maths and FM exams at the end of year 2.
Reply 7
Original post by SeanFM
Per year, yes.

No only 3 exams in one year to get maths A Level.
Original post by notnek

Apologies, I seem to have misinterpreted which spec you were referring to
Original post by SeanFM
Apologies, I seem to have misinterpreted which spec you were referring to

Don't worry, it's fine. :smile:
Original post by notnek

What about FM?
Reply 11
What about FM?

Four exams for FM - all must be taken in a single exam session.
Original post by notnek
Four exams for FM - all must be taken in a single exam session.

Ohh ok. Can you choose your own modules that ou wish to study or will they give compulsory ones?
Reply 13
Ohh ok. Can you choose your own modules that ou wish to study or will they give compulsory ones?

FP1 and FP2 are compulsary for Edexcel. There are options for the other two papers but it depends on your school whether or not you will be able to make that choice.

I recommend you have a read through the A Level Maths spec and the Further Maths spec for Edexcel.
Original post by notnek
FP1 and FP2 are compulsary for Edexcel. There are options for the other two papers but it depends on your school whether or not you will be able to make that choice.

I recommend you have a read through the A Level Maths spec and the Further Maths spec for Edexcel.

Thanks.

I'm doing edexcel and I'm doing C12, M1, FP1, S1 and D1 this May. I think there are no clashes. You can get more information when you read the specification for edexcel further maths ( it's on the edexcel website).

Quick Reply

Latest