The Student Room Group

Deferring offers?

Think I kinda wanna do a gap year now. Currently on 4/5 offers (waiting on last one now), should I wait till I receive them all before asking? Or should I wait till results day? Are unis likely to allow me to defer?
Original post by DarkEnergy
Think I kinda wanna do a gap year now. Currently on 4/5 offers (waiting on last one now), should I wait till I receive them all before asking? Or should I wait till results day? Are unis likely to allow me to defer?

Is there a particular reason why you want to do that now?
Reply 2
Original post by s.mehmood
Is there a particular reason why you want to do that now?

I don't think I'm fully committed to my course to be honest, and somewhat applied on a whim. I'd take the year out to possibly reconsider, whilst working to get some extra money for uni. And if I choose to do my course anyways I still have the offers there.
I don't think I'm fully committed to my course to be honest, and somewhat applied on a whim. I'd take the year out to possibly reconsider, whilst working to get some extra money for uni. And if I choose to do my course anyways I still have the offers there.

Ohh. Yeah you can do that. Are you worried about if they will accept deferred entry?
Reply 4

Contact them all now. They won't withdraw the offers if you just ask the question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by s.mehmood
Ohh. Yeah you can do that. Are you worried about if they will accept deferred entry?

I'm just wondering when's the best time to ask, and how likely they are to deny my request.

Original post by jneill
Contact them all now. They won't withdraw the offers if you just ask the question.

Thank you, will send my emails in the morning to 4 of the unis, but should I wait till my 5th uni (St Andrews) replies before asking for deferred entry?
I'm just wondering when's the best time to ask, and how likely they are to deny my request.

Thank you, will send my emails in the morning to 4 of the unis, but should I wait till my 5th uni (St Andrews) replies before asking for deferred entry?

I'm sure you can ask. Not sure if they will withdraw your offers though.
Reply 7

StA seems to be less open to them:
https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/study/ug/policy/

"Applications for deferred entry

Applications for deferred entry will be considered on an individual basis; however applicants should be aware that only a very small number of deferred offers are made each year. As the individual Academic Schools controls the number of deferred offers made for their programmes, applicants should check with the Academic School or Department before making an application."

So... probably best to wait for their offer before asking them, and being prepared for them to say no if/when you do ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

I'm pretty sure that St A won't give you an offer if you write them now (before they'e given you an offer). On their website, they state pretty clearly that they don't consider applicants for deferred entry because of the high number of applicants.

But especially if you study in Scotland (don't know where your other unis are located), you have the possibilty to do modules outside of your course and even outside of your faculty. In your sub-honours years (year one and two) you can do around three different subjects. Lots of people decide to switch courses in their second year because they've discovered that they don't like their original subject that much.
So if you're not quite sure about your course yet, you could find it out there. :smile: Just saying this as an alternative to a gap year ...
Reply 9
Original post by jneill
-

Original post by GermanIRhopeful
-

Thanks guys, I think I'll just try to defer my current four offers but just leave the St Andrews one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending