The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm just intrigued because there's is another thread trending that's titled "I asked a girl at the library if she likes Harry Potter. Am I in?"😂😂 this might be your guy...😂😂
Original post by chlo17e
I'm just intrigued because there's is another thread trending that's titled "I asked a girl at the library if she likes Harry Potter. Am I in?"😂😂 this might be your guy...😂😂

other thread is a troll thread
Original post by sherlockfan
Besides which im celibate so I wouldnt have wanted to talk to him even if he looked like Ryan gosling.

You being celibate doesn't negate the point. Your narrative wouldn't have been "omg creepy guy at the library hit on me!!!!!" if he was attractive to you. You'd have been rational and understood that he was just asking about the book.

Also, unrelated but I don't think you know what celibate means judging from how you've used it. You can be celibate and still want to flirt with a guy.

lmao
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PrinceWilliams
[video="youtube;mIIjcetMul0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIIjcetMul0[/video]

Resorting to posting a video of an arrogant guy who died at a young age from over-use of steroids. Stop embarrassing yourself if you're not going to reply with anything constructive.
You did the right thing. Next time just make it clear from the start that you do not wish to initiate a conversation. I've been in situations like that before and its just creepy.

p.s. and ignore the people on here who say that you are making a fuss. They were not in your shoes, and they have no idea how it made you feel.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trinculo
I didn't get the sense it was a university library, with Harry Potter in it.

I thought it was general knowledge that Harry Potter talk is what picks up the ladies. Lord Of the Rings works even better I heard.
Original post by flowerscat
You did the right thing. Next time just make it clear from the start that you do not wish to initiate a conversation. I've been in situations like that before and its just creepy.

p.s. and ignore the people on here who say that you are making a fuss. They were not in your shoes, and they have no idea how it made you feel.

Another special snowflake. Guys shouldn't have to tread on eggshells just because you get scared easily. So yeah, you have the right to be creeped out.
loled at this chick

towards dudes that will be afraid of approaching because of *******s like op - don't worry, if she rejects you and is a ***** about it, then she's not worth the time anyway
I hope this awful experience has not put you off from returning to the library.

I've just looked on eBay for you and there's some 'Personal Defence Protection Spray' for £7.20 with free postage or free click and collect at your local Argos.

That might be a small price to pay if it gives you peace of mind whilst in public places.

Good luck and may the Force/God be with you.

Thanks yeah I was just being polite at first, when he started questioning me further i wondered what I had got myself into lol.
Reply 250

She described how she felt, and we feel it's pathetic she felt that way

Posted from TSR Mobile
why I feel it wouldn't happen again? because in general i don't expect men to come and try to chat me up. on the whole strangers don't talk to strangers, not in the setting I was in. If he was just asking me what time the library closes I wouldn't have minded. But I just feel awkward when he started to ask me more questions, I felt like he had an alterior motive.

I'm going to say something and please don't take it the wrong way. Other people have alluded to, or said the same thing already - but unfortunately it has got lost somewhat in a sea of bile.

Sure, OK, guys don't come up to you and chat to you. I imagine you have something of a self fulfilling prophecy going on here, in that you conduct yourself in a way that avoids attention because you know people aren't interested in talking to you. But at the end of the day, people will want to talk to you, whether just to ask you something, to get to know you, or yes, to sleep with you.

I guess you could consider the library somewhat sacrosanct with regard to privacy/random conversation. But there really is no hard rule on this. Personally, I wouldn't consider it overly odd for someone to spark up a conversation about books (whether there is an ulterior motive or not).

You feeling awkward at him asking more questions is very much 'your thing', not his. Nothing that you reported is creepy, weird or out of place. I appreciate that you may not like it, but he doesn't know that until he talks to you - and he clearly took the hint.

You're projecting your ideals onto the world. In your mind, you went to the library to read by yourself and when someone broke that, you have become angry at them and assigned some rather nasty and unfair labels on to them. But, you can't dictate what is going to happen in public, you just can't. This includes you being celibate, whether you are inclined to be positive to someone else's attention isn't something they can judge until they talk to you - your celibacy can't be used to attack people who don't know about it.

I'm not sure if there is anything else to be said that can make you OK with this. Right now though, you seem caught in a trap of 'you vs all the men in the world' which isn't doing you any favours.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by _Sinnie_
I'm going to say something and please don't take it the wrong way. Other people have alluded to, or said the same thing already - but unfortunately it has got lost somewhat in a sea of bile.

Sure, OK, guys don't come up to you and chat to you. I imagine you have something of a self fulfilling prophecy going on here, in that you conduct yourself in a way that avoids attention because you know people aren't interested in talking to you. But at the end of the day, people will want to talk to you, whether just to ask you something, to get to know you, or yes, to sleep with you.

I guess you could consider the library somewhat sacrosanct with regard to privacy/random conversation. But there really is no hard rule on this. Personally, I wouldn't consider it overly odd for someone to spark up a conversation about books (whether there is an ulterior motive or not).

You feeling awkward at him asking more questions is very much 'your thing', not his. Nothing that you reported is creepy, weird or out of place. I appreciate that you may not like it, but he doesn't know that until he talks to you - and he clearly took the hint.

You're projecting your ideals onto the world. In your mind, you went to the library to read by yourself and when someone broke that, you have become angry at them and assigned some rather nasty and unfair labels on to them. But, you can't dictate what is going to happen in public, you just can't. This includes you being celibate, whether you are inclined to be positive to someone else's attention isn't something they can judge until they talk to you - your celibacy can't be used to attack people who don't know about it.

I'm not sure if there is anything else to be said that can make you OK with this. Right now though, you seem caught in a trap of 'you vs all the men in the world' which isn't doing you any favours.

I don't see that at all.

What I see is someone who makes choices for herself, but a lot of folks think OP should make herself 'available' for them - whether for conversation, attention, relationship or sex. Or at least keep up with illusion of availability.

These posters (see the other guys on this thread) feel threatened when a girl says no. Why? One person's choice doesn't affect them in any way, so why the aggro, hating and even rape threats?

This is the 2nd thread from this OP I've been on and I'm amazed by the hate from other posters.
I'm struggling to see where creepy comes into this :confused:
Original post by _Sinnie_

No I'm sorry its not just me, it was weird. Not over the top weird, but weird nonetheless. I didn't make a big thing of it, others have.
I'm not making it into a them vs us thing, the men on here have with their idiocy.
Original post by Drez999
I hope this awful experience has not put you off from returning to the library.

I've just looked on eBay for you and there's some 'Personal Defence Protection Spray' for £7.20 with free postage or free click and collect at your local Argos.

That might be a small price to pay if it gives you peace of mind whilst in public places.

Good luck and may the Force/God be with you.

Has the OP replied?
I am starting to get more worried now.
Original post by ThePricklyOne
I don't see that at all.

What I see is someone who makes choices for herself, but a lot of folks think OP should make herself 'available' for them - whether for conversation, attention, relationship or sex. Or at least keep up with illusion of availability.

These posters (see the other guys on this thread) feel threatened when a girl says no. Why? One person's choice doesn't affect them in any way, so why the aggro, hating and even rape threats?

This is the 2nd thread from this OP I've been on and I'm amazed by the hate from other posters.

Yeah I agree, I don't know why men are threatened by it.
Rape threats? Where??
Original post by ThePricklyOne
I don't see that at all.

What choice? Whether someone can talk to her or not? That is the crux of this thread. The OP didn't want anyone talking to her (whether the conversation was creepy or not is completely moot), in her subsequent posts she has made it quite clear that she is annoyed that someone spoke to her. You simply can not make that determination when you are in public, you just can't.

She doesn't have to be 'available' for anything, she is more than welcome to, and did, decline to participate in the conversation. But it is frankly absurd to complain that the person spoke to her in the first place. Sure, it may be annoying that someone disturbed her, but that kind of thing happens literally all the time.

I'll respond to your second point below.

No I'm sorry its not just me, it was weird. Not over the top weird, but weird nonetheless. I didn't make a big thing of it, others have.
I'm not making it into a them vs us thing, the men on here have with their idiocy.

To be fair, you made a big thing of it by posting it onto a hugely popular forum. If it isn't such a big deal, why post it? It's OK for it to be a big deal, I'm just curious as to the slight contradiction there. You clearly wanted something from this thread.

No, you're making it into a 'YOU vs men' thing. You really, really are. While plenty of the people in this thread have been horrible and cruel. You have been equally nasty back; whether they started it or not.

Plus, in your OP you call the man pathetic and whatnot, despite never knowing his intentions, you instantly assumed he must be some perv out for sex. You can believe whatever you like, but that and many of your subsequent posts have clearly shown your belief that all men are pigs, you don't like them and they all hate you.
Yeah I agree, I don't know why men are threatened by it.
Rape threats? Where??

Its more on your other thread than this one, but the idea you are not allowed to refuse sex (by chosing to be celibate) or male attention (by not wanting conversation) has that connotation (a woman is not allowed to say no) -- not just the connotation of it, but the threat of it is there.

If the guys don't agree with me, there's a simple way to test it. They should print off this thread or the other one, show it to their mom/sister and tell her THEY typed these comments in response to you & let's see what mom/sis's reaction will be.
I'm a guy but if a girl sees me in the library reading (more likely to be a history book or something rather than HP) they're more than welcome to ask me how it is. :sexface:

(Jk, I need quiet to read)