The Student Room Group

What's something your parents don't seem to understand?

Is there a thing that your parents make wrong assumptions about? It could be about you specifically or about anything out there (e.g. technology, food, TSR etc...).

1. That I can have female friends and not be dating them :colonhash:
2. That I do stay behind at university to do work and not mess around...
3. That your laptop screen is not a touch screen... :facepalm:

Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UWS
Is there a thing that your parents make wrong assumptions about? It could be about you specifically or about anything out there (e.g. technology, food, TSR etc...).

1. That I can have female friends and not be dating them :colonhash:
2. That I do stay behind at university to do work and not mess around...
3. That your laptop screen is not a touch screen... :facepalm:

Discuss.

:lol: My mum does this :tongue:
When I come home for the holidays, I'm coming home for my HOLIDAYS, and by choice, not for you to tell me when to wake up and how to spend my day
Reply 3
Your at 12 gems, you can leave, you are free now.
My mum can't understand the difference between Save and Save As, and files and folders (on a computer) no matter how many times I try to explain. She also can't put DVDs on by herself, so when I'm at uni she can't watch them :tongue:
Reply 5
My mum doesn't seem to understand gaming. She seems to think that every game is simple and quick and you win or lose in a few mins and that's the end of it completely - like Knots and Crosses. She can't comprehend games that have a storyline such as Elder Scrolls, The Witcher etc :laugh:
That my mental health isn't something that can be cured or easily fixed with a smile.

That most students are messy, not just me :emo:
Reply 7
Original post by Pulse.
Your at 12 gems, you can leave, you are free now.

Lol no, waiting for that secret 13 gem :moon:
(edited 6 years ago)
That i'm not going to get murdered/assaulted. I'm just going out with my friends. :colonhash:
Anxiety/Low confidence/Self Esteem. They just don't get it, despite the fact I stay indoors like 24/7.
Reply 10
Original post by SassKing13
:lol: My mum does this :tongue:

Maybe I should just buy my mum a touch screen laptop so she doesn't have to worry anymore :lol:

Original post by AndrewSCO
When I come home for the holidays, I'm coming home for my HOLIDAYS, and by choice, not for you to tell me when to wake up and how to spend my day

Lmao omg this happens to me too! I get lectures from my mum when that's what uni is for :colonhash:

Original post by Leviathan1741
My mum can't understand the difference between Save and Save As, and files and folders (on a computer) no matter how many times I try to explain. She also can't put DVDs on by herself, so when I'm at uni she can't watch them :tongue:

Parents and technology don't really mix :lol:

Original post by Spock's Socks
My mum doesn't seem to understand gaming. She seems to think that every game is simple and quick and you win or lose in a few mins and that's the end of it completely - like Knots and Crosses. She can't comprehend games that have a storyline such as Elder Scrolls, The Witcher etc :laugh:

Remember when you were younger and they told you to go to bed and switch off the game but you weren't at a save point :frown:
Original post by Rhythmical

I'm not messy. :bigsmile:
Original post by UWS
Lmao omg this happens to me too! I get lectures from my mum when that's what uni is for :colonhash:

Come home to relax after exams and get shouted at for sitting on the couch on my laptop for longer than 5 mins :colonhash:
Why 14-year flatmate Robert and I can't get girlfriends. "You'd think they'd be fighting over two such fashion conscious boys."
Reply 14
Some parents just don't get MH problems :frown:

Original post by Rhythmical
That my mental health isn't something that can be cured or easily fixed with a smile.

I'm messy :hide:

Original post by saraxh
That i'm not going to get murdered/assaulted. I'm just going out with my friends. :colonhash:

Does she ask for the names of the friends that you're going out with too? :lol:

Original post by cbreef
Anxiety/Low confidence/Self Esteem. They just don't get it, despite the fact I stay indoors like 24/7.

Oh yeah my mum is like that too. Worse when she criticises me which doesn't help my confidence lol

Original post by SinsNotTragedies
I'm not messy. :bigsmile:

Prove it.
Reply 15
Come home to relax after exams and get shouted at for sitting on the couch on my laptop for longer than 5 mins :colonhash:

"You should be studying for your exams in July" :colonhash:

Original post by cambio wechsel
Why 14-year flatmate Robert and I can't get girlfriends. "You'd think they'd be fighting over two such fashion conscious boys."

For a second there I thought Robert was 14 years old :emo:
**** loads of push notifications on your phone will eat bandwidth.
Reply 17
Same here, they just tell me to "deal with it" and that doesn't help me one bit...

Do you pay them holiday rates for staying there?
Original post by UWS
Some parents just don't get MH problems :frown:

I'm messy :hide:

Does she ask for the names of the friends that you're going out with too? :lol:

Oh yeah my mum is like that too. Worse when she criticises me which doesn't help my confidence lol

Prove it.

All the time. I've never had a sleepover because of it :sad:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest