The Student Room Group

What's something your parents don't seem to understand?

Scroll to see replies

This is literally just my mum, my dad pretty much understands me

- That I do actually work and revise and I'm not completely useless, there is literally no trust there........
- That when I get spending money, its my spending money so I can spend it on what I want
- That my music taste is awesome:tongue:
- That I don't need to wear smart clothes for everything (happened today, I study at 2 schools, one has dress code and one doesnt and I was doing an exam at the one that didnt but my mum was moaning about me going in normal clothes)
My mum doesn't understand what my job is. She's asked about it a lot (over the 15+ years I've been doing it) and I've explained it to her and shown her reports I've produced....it's like talking to a brick wall.
Reply 22
Original post by saraxh
All the time. I've never had a sleepover because of it :sad:

Spoiler

Okay my parents were never that extreme.... Yours sounds exactly like what happens in the movies :lol:
Original post by UWS
Okay my parents were never that extreme.... Yours sounds exactly like what happens in the movies :lol:

It's good that he found out because I was hanging around with the wrong people :yep:
My parents are not from around here so they don't understand a lot of things. they don't understand what A levels are essentially, they think they are a lot easier than they actually are and they often say or do things that aren't socially acceptable here which makes me facepalm. They also don't understand sarcasm most of time.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 27FT
they often say or do things that aren't socially acceptable here which makes me facepalm.

haha, your parents sound brilliant.
That being emo is not a phase urgh

*rawr* :3
Original post by cambio wechsel
haha, your parents sound brilliant.

Yeah, they're good for a laugh I guess xD
Reply 28
Original post by IKEAPanda37
This is literally just my mum, my dad pretty much understands me

- That I do actually work and revise and I'm not completely useless, there is literally no trust there........
- That when I get spending money, its my spending money so I can spend it on what I want
- That my music taste is awesome:tongue:
- That I don't need to wear smart clothes for everything (happened today, I study at 2 schools, one has dress code and one doesnt and I was doing an exam at the one that didnt but my mum was moaning about me going in normal clothes)

Your music taste IS awesome :five:

Original post by 27FT
My parents are not from around here so they don't understand a lot of things. they don't understand what A levels are essentially, they think they are a lost easier than they actually are and they often say or do things that aren't socially acceptable here which makes me facepalm. They also don't understand sarcasm most of time.

oh sarcasm, the number of times I make a sarcastic comment and it turns into a lecture....

Original post by PQ
My mum doesn't understand what my job is. She's asked about it a lot (over the 15+ years I've been doing it) and I've explained it to her and shown her reports I've produced....it's like talking to a brick wall.

Sometimes I don't know what my job is tbh :tongue:
Original post by PQ
Do you pay them holiday rates for staying there?

I reward them with my presence
Reply 30
Original post by retro_turtles
That being emo is not a phase urgh

*rawr* :3

:emo:

A cute emo huh
Original post by AndrewSCO
I reward them with my presence

Sounds like they're just insisting they get their money's worth then :smile:
Original post by UWS

oh sarcasm, the number of times I make a sarcastic comment and it turns into a lecture....

That's exactly my mum! I once told her a joke and she turned it into a literal half hour lecture on responsibility and I was just like :colonhash: I also get complaints from them whenever I am sarcastic that I need to control my temper or stop being so melodramatic.
Original post by UWS

Made more awesome thanks to you :five:

Btw have you only just got the Very Important Poster thing below your name or have you always had it and I'm being stupid?:redface:
Original post by UWS
Lol no, waiting for that secret 13 gem :moon:

Illuminati Gem

Reply 35
Original post by 27FT
That's exactly my mum! I once told her a joke and she turned it into a literal half hour lecture on responsibility and I was just like :colonhash: I also get complaints from them whenever I am sarcastic that I need to control my temper or stop being so melodramatic.

Yep, they can't tell the difference between a joke and something serious. Like I would tell her something funny I did at uni and she would lecture me on how wrong I was :colonhash:

Original post by IKEAPanda37
Made more awesome thanks to you :five:

Btw have you only just got the Very Important Poster thing below your name or have you always had it and I'm being stupid?:redface:

I only got it yesterday :redface:
Original post by UWS

A cute emo huh

:angry:
Original post by UWS
Yep, they can't tell the difference between a joke and something serious. Like I would tell her something funny I did at uni and she would lecture me on how wrong I was :colonhash:

I only got it yesterday :redface:

Thought so:tongue: Anyway, its well deserved :thumbsup:
Original post by UWS

A cute emo huh

I second this opinion. :tongue:
Gosh theres too many to write

That slippers are meant to be worn not thrown at me :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest