The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Kingston interviews (art &design based courses) 2017

Hello TSR! Anyone had any luck yet at this university?

I have my interview for BA Illustration & Animation tomorrow and I'm terrified as it's one of my top choices!

I created the thread to just share general tips and experiences so feel free to join in if you're also preparing for your interview here, I'm bringing 15 sheets and 2 sketchbooks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I have my interview coming up in a few days, how did you find yours? What was it like?
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Reply 2
Original post by makemebad123
I have my interview coming up in a few days, how did you find yours? What was it like?

The interview was good! The staff there are really friendly and try to make you as comfortable as possible so don't worry about a stern or rigid atmosphere haha

They took us on a tour around the campus while they took a look at everyone's portfolios for about an hour or so, then we eventually waited to be called in groups of about 6/7? It might vary on the day you attend but we had 3 tutors interviewing us and they asked us questions going around the table of interviewees (asking what inspires you on a day to day basis, what our favourite piece was etc) but they'll give you time to think about your response :smile:

best of luck!
Original post by darunis
The interview was good! The staff there are really friendly and try to make you as comfortable as possible so don't worry about a stern or rigid atmosphere haha

They took us on a tour around the campus while they took a look at everyone's portfolios for about an hour or so, then we eventually waited to be called in groups of about 6/7? It might vary on the day you attend but we had 3 tutors interviewing us and they asked us questions going around the table of interviewees (asking what inspires you on a day to day basis, what our favourite piece was etc) but they'll give you time to think about your response :smile:

best of luck!

Thanks for the reply! How long was your group interview?
Reply 4
I haven't got an interview yet but they have requested an online portfolio from me! Did you have to do this?

Also, any luck with offers? :tongue:
Original post by kuroskye
I haven't got an interview yet but they have requested an online portfolio from me! Did you have to do this?

Also, any luck with offers? :tongue:

I had to send of an online portfolio and they want it in person when i go to the interview. To my knowledge you have to send the online portfolio off to be invited to an interview - hope that helps
Reply 6
I had to send of an online portfolio and they want it in person when i go to the interview. To my knowledge you have to send the online portfolio off to be invited to an interview - hope that helps

Oh cool! Thanks very much :smile:
Reply 7
Thanks for the reply! How long was your group interview?

The whole process will last about 2 to 3 hours! You'll get a tour around the campus which will last around an hour and then you'll need to wait, but the actual group interview itself might've been around 30 mins?
Reply 8
I sent off my online portfolio about a month ago and haven't heard back....
When you got your interview was it straight after sending off your online portfolio?
Reply 9
i'm in the same position, i was starting to think they forgot lmao (i hope not though..).
Original post by chantalle
i'm in the same position, i was starting to think they forgot lmao (i hope not though..).

I'm also waiting :frown: hope they'll reply very soon
Reply 11
I'm also waiting for hearing back from them after sending my online portfolio
Hey, has anyone received an invitation for interview? I'm still waiting :frown:
Original post by klaudia.p
Hey, has anyone received an invitation for interview? I'm still waiting :frown:

not even a word, i sent an email to them almost two weeks ago to say whats happening, and they didn't respond to that either. i wonder why its taking so long...
not even a word, i sent an email to them almost two weeks ago to say whats happening, and they didn't respond to that either. i wonder why its taking so long...

That's bad :frown:
Me too... maybe they have many applicants this year, but still it's almost a month
That's bad :frown:
Me too... maybe they have many applicants this year, but still it's almost a month

have you also already sent in your e-portfolio?
i'm just hoping they say something (good or bad..) so i can either move on or prepare myself interviews at this point
have you also already sent in your e-portfolio?
i'm just hoping they say something (good or bad..) so i can either move on or prepare myself interviews at this point

I've sent them my portfolio at the beginning of February, before deadline. Yes, it would be good to know :frown:
I've sent them my portfolio at the beginning of February, before deadline. Yes, it would be good to know :frown:

completely the same as me then, here's to hoping its not us and just them being tardy :yy:
completely the same as me then, here's to hoping its not us and just them being tardy :yy:

That's true... hope they'll reply this week, too much waiting
I applied for fine art .I sent my online portfolio off on the 27th of December and then go an offer for an interview on the 6th of January. The interview was on the 6th of February. The interview consisted of us being put into groups by subject e.g graphics, fine art etc. We then got split into pairs, and whilst one pair were interviewed by then two tutors the rest went on a tour of the facilities. The interview itself was really nice. I got interviewed by myself by one tutor. The question were the typical why kingston, why this course alongside pick a piece of art and talk about it, how would you start a project etc and asking me about my alevels, interests outside of school , what recent exhibitions have a gone too etc. They asked me if I had applied for art foundation and why I didn't want to , and expressed their concern that I might not be ready as the jump from alevel to degree is big but I told them why I believed I was ready for that jump. I then got an offer three and a half weeks later.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending