The Student Room Group

Pressures of modern society

I can't cope.

How do you do it?

Social media, the news, everything I wanna blow it all up a take a forever retreat somewhere tranquil.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Little Popcorns
I can't cope.

How do you do it?

Social media, the news, everything I wanna blow it all up a take a forever retreat somewhere tranquil.

You sound like you need to go on a retreat somewhere!
Original post by Reality Check
You sound like you need to go on a retreat somewhere!
exactly *fuse pops*
I don't cope :sad:
I don't ever cope. I hide under my duvet cover :emo:
Original post by saraxh
I don't cope :sad:
:frown: :hugs: hard work
Reply 6
How do you do it?

By not giving a flying ****.

My life is mine, nobody else's, and I don't care what anybody else does with theirs. I'm just getting on with my life as best I can, because as long as I'm happy, nothing else really matters.

When you realise that, everything clicks into place pretty well.
By being constantly cynical about everything. Makes everything a lot easier to rationalise.
:frown: :hugs: hard work

:hugs:

Spoiler

Original post by Drewski
By not giving a flying ****.

My life is mine, nobody else's, and I don't care what anybody else does with theirs. I'm just getting on with my life as best I can, because as long as I'm happy, nothing else really matters.

When you realise that, everything clicks into place pretty well.
I agree but in the process I'm at risk of alienating everyone, acting like I'm master of the universe and then falling flat on my face. I need other people but the majority of them are selfish idiots... as a result of trying to keep up with the rat race.

guilt guilt guilt
I don't really use social media. That's helps a lot. It's all contrived BS and full of unattainble standards set by the money-driven beauty and fashion industries.
I agree but in the process I'm at risk of alienating everyone, acting like I'm master of the universe and then falling flat on my face. I need other people but the majority of them are selfish idiots... as a result of trying to keep up with the rat race.

There's not feeling competitive towards other people and there's not engaging with them. They're two separate things.

Treat people as they generally are; disposable. Contrary to romantic popular opinion, there'll be very few people who stick with you for life, so if they don't care about you then you shouldn't care about them.
Original post by Bubblyminty
I don't really use social media. That's helps a lot. It's all contrived BS and full of unattainble standards set by the money-driven beauty and fashion industries.
well said :smile:
You are living the easiest life of any of our past generations. Quit complaining.
Original post by Drewski
There's not feeling competitive towards other people and there's not engaging with them. They're two separate things.

Treat people as they generally are; disposable. Contrary to romantic popular opinion, there'll be very few people who stick with you for life, so if they don't care about you then you shouldn't care about them.
true I think I'm in a particularly fragile state at the moment so I choose not to interact with people for fear of not being able to be neutral to them let alone nice.
Original post by Metal Gear
You are living the easiest life of any of our past generations. Quit complaining.
cop out answer
cop out answer

It's true. You've never had to work 12+ hours a day, you've never been conscripted in the army, you've always had a heated house, food on your plate.
It's true. You've never had to work 12+ hours a day, you've never been conscripted in the army, you've always had a heated house, food on your plate.

That is a lot of assumption based on no evidence.
I'm not saying the pressures are worse than previous generations doesn't take away from the fact that they are pressures and thus a cause of stress.
Original post by Willy Pete
That is a lot of assumption based on no evidence.

Based on this being a student forum where most people are middle class sheltered kids, it's a pretty good assumption.

Quick Reply

Latest