The Student Room Group

Whom do I ask for references?

I'm thinking about dropping out of my current university (in the Netherlands) and going to the UK to start again, this September. I've told my study adviser and I've contacted the various unis I was thinking of applying to and they said I would have to submit a 'normal' application just like everyone else, since they won't accept transfers straight into the second year. The January 15th deadline has passed but I have found a few unis that would still accept applications.
The only thing is, I'd have to get a reference from someone for my application. I didn't apply to any UK unis last year, and my current uni didn't need a reference, so I need a new one (and a new personal statement as well :/). If I ask my current study adviser I fear getting a bad reference since, well, I want to leave that uni. If I ask my old high school teacher, I don't really know what kind of reference I'd get - plus they would probably be busy writing references for this year's graduating class. I don't have a job currently either, so I couldn't ask an employer. Who is the best person to ask?

Also, if this whole reference thing works out and I end up getting an offer from one of my 5 choices, would the offer be already unconditional since I've already got my high school diploma and can just send them my grades already? Or would it for example hinge on me getting a particular grade here in my current uni by the end of the year?

I'm not sure if this is a weird situation or if others have been in my situation or similar before, but any advice would help! :smile:
i hate ppl that use the word 'whom' wrong to sound smart
Original post by whowannadate

Only problem is that the OP used 'whom' correctly. It is the object of the verb 'ask' and is therefore Accusative.

@migswigs : You write beautifully - are you a native speaker? To answer your question, I think the reference would need to come from your current university tutor(s), since they have the most recent experience of your work and are best placed. It is possible to leave on good terms, so long as all parties are open and honest with each other regarding exactly why it is that you want to leave, so I wouldn't presuppose that any reference is going to be bad. Have you had any conversations yet with your current university as to your thoughts and plans for leaving, or is this still early days?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
Only problem is that the OP used 'whom' correctly. It is the object of the verb 'ask' and is therefore Accusative.

@migswigs : You write beautifully - are you a native speaker? To answer your question, I think the reference would need to come from your current university tutor(s), since they have the most recent experience of your work and are best placed. It is possible to leave on good terms, so long as all parties are open and honest with each other regarding exactly why it is that you want to leave, so I wouldn't presuppose that any reference is going to be bad. Have you had any conversations yet with your current university as to your thoughts and plans for leaving, or is this still early days?

Yeh i never said OP was wrong dumbass
Reply 4
And obviously, OP is not a native speaker.

To the actual point - I was in a similar position. I asked my former high school principal for a reference and I was provided one. However, this was not enough for UCL. They asked me for an additional reference from my current university. It was enough though to only enclose a brief summary of my performance and a predicted GPA. I emailed a bunch of people in my department and after a few weeks, I got my desired reference. It is not a pleasant procedure as you have to go around and contact various people - you will likely encounter few rejections. On the other hand, as a current offer holder, it was all worth it.
The offer would be likely conditional on you achieving a specified IELTS score.
Yeh i never said OP was wrong dumbass

umm, you did. :rolleyes:

(edited 7 years ago)
umm, you did. :rolleyes:

Um no i didn't l0l... i said people not op

Lolololol

Lolololol

lmfao, now you got caught out trying to sound smart HAHAHAHA
Original post by Metal Gear
lmfao, now you got caught out trying to sound smart HAHAHAHA

Um no
Um no

i hate ppl that try to correct others wrong to sound smart.

:wink:
Reply 10

I'm Filipino, spoke English at home, grew up in Switzerland, now studying in the Netherlands, I've been in international schools my whole life, so yes I'd say I'm a native speaker.

I have emailed my study adviser about leaving, but I haven't asked her about references yet. Still waiting for a reply. I'm a bit worried about the time though, since my chances of getting an offer decreases as the unis start to allocate places already. I kind of want to be pushy with my study adviser to be quick about everything but I'm worried that it could jeopardize her current good impression of me, so right now I'm just nervously waiting.
Original post by migswigs
I'm Filipino, spoke English at home, grew up in Switzerland, now studying in the Netherlands, I've been in international schools my whole life, so yes I'd say I'm a native speaker.

I have emailed my study adviser about leaving, but I haven't asked her about references yet. Still waiting for a reply. I'm a bit worried about the time though, since my chances of getting an offer decreases as the unis start to allocate places already. I kind of want to be pushy with my study adviser to be quick about everything but I'm worried that it could jeopardize her current good impression of me, so right now I'm just nervously waiting.

Yes, I understand that. You have to balance not wishing to chase and chivvy people along with the urgency of the situation.
Reply 12
Original post by migswigs

Yes, I understand that. You have to balance not wishing to chase and chivvy people along with the urgency of the situation.

When did you last contact your study adviser? If it was more than, say, a week ago a gentle chivvy is justifiable and wouldn't be seen as too pushy. Even better, go and talk with them.
Reply 13
Original post by whomwannadate

Lolololol

OPs are people too. Ya kno.

(fixed it for you)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending