The Student Room Group

My A Level choices

Hi guys
I was hoping someone could help me and give their opinion on my A Level choices.
After sixth form, I hope to go to a Russell Group University, possibly even Oxford/Cambridge, but wouldn't be too upset if I didn't get in. I want to study law at university and pursue a career in law, specifically corporate law.
What do you think of these A Level choices:
English Literature (I love it)
History (I don't love it, but I'm good and don't mind it or dislike it)
Economics
Government & Politics or Law (I really have a genuine interest and passion in both, and one day hope to enter politics after law if I can. I've also heard that law is frowned upon by most unis, how true is that?)
Thanks guys
(edited 7 years ago)
I wouldn't say law is frowned upon, it isn't necessary or particularly useful, but lots of people go to top universities having done law at A level. I think government and politics is the better choice, but if you really like law, do it - ultimately it is your grades which matter most.
I do Lit, History and Economics too :smile: I recommend! And anyway, fourth subjects don't matter. I know people who've done art/drama for their fourths and got into universities like Oxbridge. Good luck
Original post by xadambx
Hi guys
I was hoping someone could help me and give their opinion on my A Level choices.
After sixth form, I hope to go to a Russell Group University, possibly even Oxford/Cambridge, but wouldn't be too upset if I didn't get in. I want to study law at university and pursue a career in law, specifically corporate law.
What do you think of these A Level choices:
English Literature (I love it)
History (I don't love it, but I'm good and don't mind it or dislike it)
Economics
Government & Politics or Law (I really have a genuine interest and passion in both, and one day hope to enter politics after law if I can. I've also heard that law is frowned upon by most unis, how true is that?)
Thanks guys

Id definately do english lit, history and economics.
Then out of the other 2 (government + politics and law) pick whichever you are most interested in and think you might get a better grade in.
I've got an offer from a russel group with 2 Bs and a D at AS when one B and the D aren't really even that relevant to the subject I'm applying for (Biology and maths respectively, applying for philosophy)

Don't overthink it too hard, do what you enjoy and will do well in, and the A levels explicitly required for whatever course you intend on getting into (I seem to remember a lot of law courses asking for English in some form when I looked into law but you'll want to check). You won't get penalised for having a law A level, just bear in mind when they start the law course at uni they'll likely treat you as if you've never done law before anyway, so you won't get any particular advantage out of it either.

Quick Reply

Latest