The Student Room Group

Biology ISA Osmosis

Gkdm
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lyeeta
Doing my Biology ISA on osmosis, hypothesis is "The greater the surface area exposed, the larger the mass of water absorbed"
I'm putting bits of potato in water and seeing how the surface area of the potato (Cut into different number of bits) affects the weight of water absorbed. However I don't really know what to put as the context. Any ideas?

I'm just about to start my ISA on this too the only thing i have been told is that you could link it to what is happening to your lungs when smoking i.e. the surface area?
not sure if this helps at all?!!
Original post by Holly1112000
I'm just about to start my ISA on this too the only thing i have been told is that you could link it to what is happening to your lungs when smoking i.e. the surface area?
not sure if this helps at all?!!

Talk about the alveoli and diseases such as emphysema.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you also do you know the hypothesis?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you also do you know the hypothesis?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, as you increase the surface area of the plant tissue (in my case), the uptake of water by the plant increases.

Or the greater x is...the greater y is.

Also, give a scientific explanation. Very important! For example, increasing surface area means more particles are exposed. Obviously, write more than this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you that's really helpful!!
Thank you that's really helpful!!

Mine is tomorrow lol so this is fresh in my memory.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moltenmo
Mine is tomorrow lol so this is fresh in my memory.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same but we haven't had much preparation it doesn't seem too difficult though and good luck!
Same but we haven't had much preparation it doesn't seem too difficult though and good luck!

Thanks and you too! I have had 3-4 lessons but most of my understanding has been independent since our teacher hasn't helped much. I just hope a question where they ask you to talk about a preliminary investigation or alternative method doesn't come up. I hate those kind of obscure questions which I haven't covered.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks and you too! I have had 3-4 lessons but most of my understanding has been independent since our teacher hasn't helped much. I just hope a question where they ask you to talk about a preliminary investigation or alternative method doesn't come up. I hate those kind of obscure questions which I haven't covered.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not very helpful my teacher has been the same hopefully those sort of questions won't come up!! Thanks again for your help earlier!.
Reply 10
Hey Everyone, for paper 1 can anyone point me in the right direction for what to put for explaining the hypothesis, my hypothesis is "As the surface area of the potato increases, the amount of water intake increases".
Original post by hodgy369
Hey Everyone, for paper 1 can anyone point me in the right direction for what to put for explaining the hypothesis, my hypothesis is "As the surface area of the potato increases, the amount of water intake increases".

More particles exposed to the water, mention osmosis, boom. Got your 3 marks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
More particles exposed to the water, mention osmosis, boom. Got your 3 marks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks mate you're a lifesaver
Original post by hodgy369
Thanks mate you're a lifesaver

No problem :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
in paper 1 there is a question on a premlininary
Original post by Authorbian
in paper 1 there is a question on a premlininary

Oh yeah, the question I messed up on lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=Moltenmo;69777420]Oh yeah, the question I messed up on lol