The Student Room Group

How do i get an a/a* in gcse maths??

Hi there, im a student.
I wanted to ask about revision tips for Maths GCSE higher. My classwork is A1 but when it comes to test I do horribly bad.. I get Grade 4s in the new system(equivalent to a low c in old gcses). I do lots of past papers too but when it comes to exams, I just don't do well in understanding questions. What can I do to get that Grade 8/9 in Year 11 exams???
Original post by Saintye
Hi there, im a student.
I wanted to ask about revision tips for Maths GCSE higher. My classwork is A1 but when it comes to test I do horribly bad.. I get Grade 4s in the new system(equivalent to a low c in old gcses). I do lots of past papers too but when it comes to exams, I just don't do well in understanding questions. What can I do to get that Grade 8/9 in Year 11 exams???

Hi Saintye,
Not bragging but I'm a constant grade 9 student (grade 9 in all past papers and class work I do) so I;d be apply to help!
From your explanation it sounds like you either struggle a lot with the wording of exam questions, forget the information or just panic in exams? (Which one if any sounds like you?) then I can help you further (maths 😂😂) !
Reply 2
Original post by Rleggett12
Hi Saintye,
Not bragging but I'm a constant grade 9 student (grade 9 in all past papers and class work I do) so I;d be apply to help!
From your explanation it sounds like you either struggle a lot with the wording of exam questions, forget the information or just panic in exams? (Which one if any sounds like you?) then I can help you further (maths 😂😂) !

I do struggle with the wording of questions, ie the probability questions and also the type of questions where they incorporate multiple topics into one question. I do try to understand maths, but I do get caught up trying to remember things for word to word. An ideas on how I can understand maths better in general which would help boost my confidence too??
Original post by Saintye
I do struggle with the wording of questions, ie the probability questions and also the type of questions where they incorporate multiple topics into one question. I do try to understand maths, but I do get caught up trying to remember things for word to word. An ideas on how I can understand maths better in general which would help boost my confidence too??

I mean, if you understand the questions and topics in class, you mainly need to focus on how to read the questions better and understand what they are trying to get you to do before answering them. My tips would be try and find an exam paper (olds ones are fine and still cover the same topics) and read through the question first maybe even annotating it in depth before you start to answer to see if this helps you get the right sort of answers, it'd be great if you could work on this with your teacher(s) maybe during lunch times or after schools when your both free as I'm sure he/she will be able to help you understand specific questions more easily than I can over TSR, if there's anything else you might want to ask me go ahead but if not that's pretty much all I can suggest for now, sorry! Good luck though!

P.S - a link for past papers that I always use for practise: (you are EDEXCEL right?)
https://manormaths.com/resources/gcse-mathematics-past-papers-foundation-higher/

There are foundation and higher papers here, complete with markschemes and the correct grade boundaries! 😉
Reply 4
Original post by Rleggett12
I mean, if you understand the questions and topics in class, you mainly need to focus on how to read the questions better and understand what they are trying to get you to do before answering them. My tips would be try and find an exam paper (olds ones are fine and still cover the same topics) and read through the question first maybe even annotating it in depth before you start to answer to see if this helps you get the right sort of answers, it'd be great if you could work on this with your teacher(s) maybe during lunch times or after schools when your both free as I'm sure he/she will be able to help you understand specific questions more easily than I can over TSR, if there's anything else you might want to ask me go ahead but if not that's pretty much all I can suggest for now, sorry! Good luck though!

P.S - a link for past papers that I always use for practise: (you are EDEXCEL right?)
https://manormaths.com/resources/gcse-mathematics-past-papers-foundation-higher/

There are foundation and higher papers here, complete with markschemes and the correct grade boundaries! 😉

You see my teacher over in school, isn't very supportive you know? Which means a lot of the work is me doing it independently. Annotating should hopefully help but it also may be the increase of hardness level in the new GCSE maths papers(Im doing AQA btw!). Although they cover the same topics, I find that the questions put me off abit sometimes. Thanks for the advice though, I'll for sure take it on board!
Original post by Saintye
Hi there, im a student.

Considering you use A1 I wonder how good your classwork really is.
Original post by Saintye
You see my teacher over in school, isn't very supportive you know? Which means a lot of the work is me doing it independently. Annotating should hopefully help but it also may be the increase of hardness level in the new GCSE maths papers(Im doing AQA btw!). Although they cover the same topics, I find that the questions put me off abit sometimes. Thanks for the advice though, I'll for sure take it on board!

No worries, can't you ask for help from a supportive teacher or the head of department instead, without your teacher knowing? Yeah the new 9-1 GCSE is a lot harder than last years spec. So don't worry if you're not getting as high now than you get in past papers or last years exams, I've certainly been getting less marks now than this time last year even though I've learnt more!

Quick Reply

Latest