The Student Room Group

Trump 'to sign orders restricting refugees from Muslim nations'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Robby2312
I notice Saudi Arabia is not on that list.Wonder why? Wouldn't want to annoy them would we?
To be fair stopping immigration would probably largely solve the Islamic terrorism problem.It would be a lot better though if he restricted access to guns whiles he's at it.But I don't see that happening.

restricted access to guns whiles he's at it.

Such a restriction would have foiled the biggest terror attack on US soil how, exactly?
Why are Afghanistan, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia not included in Trump's list of "Muslim countries"?
Original post by joe cooley
restricted access to guns whiles he's at it.

Such a restriction would have foiled the biggest terror attack on US soil how, exactly?

I didn't argue that it would of,although surely you would need guns to hijack a plane maybe? Widespread availability of guns only increases the chance of a terror attack.It certainly might of been useful to have restrictions in Omar Mateens case and in numerous other shootings.Civilians certainly should not be able to get their hands on assault rifles.What possible use could Civilians have for them?
I didn't argue that it would of,although surely you would need guns to hijack a plane maybe? Widespread availability of guns only increases the chance of a terror attack.It certainly might of been useful to have restrictions in Omar Mateens case and in numerous other shootings.Civilians certainly should not be able to get their hands on assault rifles.What possible use could Civilians have for them?

although surely you would need guns to hijack a plane maybe?

You're not familiar with the little incident on 9/11 then?

Assault rifle.

What is an assault rifle in your opinion?
Reply 24

You do not need a gun to hijack a plane 9/11 shows this as well as the majority of hijackings since.

France, Belgium and Germany have strict gun laws yet terror attacks still happen.

Did you know that when Britain banned guns the murder rate actually went up.

Do you support the state removing citizens rights whenever they like?
Original post by joecphillips
You do not need a gun to hijack a plane 9/11 shows this as well as the majority of hijackings since.

France, Belgium and Germany have strict gun laws yet terror attacks still happen.

Did you know that when Britain banned guns the murder rate actually went up.

Do you support the state removing citizens rights whenever they like?

How is it a right to own a gun?Why do Civilians need to own guns?Britain is an island so it's a lot harder to smuggle guns in.You will also notice that a lot more people were killed in the Paris attacks than in the last terror attack on British soil mainly due to guns.As for 9/11 I'm not entirely convinced that they didn't have foreign help,I would suspect Saudi Arabia of supporting the hijackers at least.It seems incredible that they could cause that many deaths without powerful help and it's not like the USA has never covered anything up.
Reply 26
How is it a right to own a gun?Why do Civilians need to own guns?Britain is an island so it's a lot harder to smuggle guns in.You will also notice that a lot more people were killed in the Paris attacks than in the last terror attack on British soil mainly due to guns.As for 9/11 I'm not entirely convinced that they didn't have foreign help,I would suspect Saudi Arabia of supporting the hijackers at least.It seems incredible that they could cause that many deaths without powerful help and it's not like the USA has never covered anything up.

A little thing called the constitution.

Why do you get to force your will onto others?

And France has strict gun laws.

How is that relevant? They didn't have guns and hijacked the plane like in most hijackings
Original post by Wōden
Why even bother taking the risk? We [the West] do not need these people in our countries, period. If America requires migrants then why not source them from areas that aren't third world hellholes, such as Europe, Australia, Canada and East Asia?

Places that America has helped turn into third world hellholes. God forbid they ever try to seek asylum in the USA tho,right?
Original post by joecphillips
A little thing called the constitution.

Why do you get to force your will onto others?

And France has strict gun laws.

How is that relevant? They didn't have guns and hijacked the plane like in most hijackings

The Constitution isn't some sacred thing you know.It can be changed.Indeed that's the whole point of the amendment's.The second amendment states that citizens can own guns as part of a "well regulated militia". How many American citizens are part of a militia exactly? And the situation was different back then.They had just fought for independence from Britain.You can't take that amendment without its historical context.There is no longer a need for Americans to own guns.Certainly not military grade guns.Some people go on about it being in case the government turns nasty.Well the government has the entire firepower of the US military at its disposal ,a few rifles will make no difference.

I don't see how it's controversial to say that if potential terrorists have easier access to powerful guns then there are more likely to be terror attacks and worse terror attacks at that.I'm not forcing my will onto others.If they want to allow the sale of powerful weapons and suffer the consequences,they can.I'm just saying it would be better if less people could get their hands on guns with ease.And this doesn't just apply to terrorism but also to school shootings and other incidents.
It is amusing to see the outrage on the BBC and the Guardian for this measure. From Merkel and Hollande too.

What those in the liberal bubble, what the metropolitan elite fail to grasp is just HOW popular this policy of Trump's is. They still don't get it. How stupid can you be????

All over the UK, France, Germany, people are thinking, now that is a politician with balls. Good on him. Why don't we have politicians like that?

Noting much will happen here, but both France and Germany are going to hold elections pretty soon. And the liberal elite are playing into the hands of popular politicians.

The BBC has absolutely no clue that this is the case, but Muslim refugees are about as popular as a bucket of cold sick in the western world. That is the truth. What Trump is doing, others will have to emulate.

Or they aren't going to be in power for much longer.
Hail Trump!
Part one of MAKING AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Reply 31
Original post by Wōden
Your typical smug and haughty attitude aside, what exactly is it about this policy you object to? Are you saying Trump shouldn't take measures to prevent dangerous Islamic radicals from coming to America?

you lost ur brain, or is that u r blind.
Reply 32
Original post by Ladbants
Hail Trump!
Part one of MAKING AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

That's how hitler started
Original post by Wōden
There are significant numbers of people in the countries cited that are utterly hostile towards the West. It makes perfect sense to halt immigration from these places and every Western nation should have done so years ago. Would you have allowed migrants from the Axis Powers during World War Two?

Agree with this 100%. Not everyone is trustworthy, scrupulous and compatible with the west.
Original post by win011
That's how hitler started

Looooooooooool
Reply 35
The Constitution isn't some sacred thing you know.It can be changed.Indeed that's the whole point of the amendment's.The second amendment states that citizens can own guns as part of a "well regulated militia". How many American citizens are part of a militia exactly? And the situation was different back then.They had just fought for independence from Britain.You can't take that amendment without its historical context.There is no longer a need for Americans to own guns.Certainly not military grade guns.Some people go on about it being in case the government turns nasty.Well the government has the entire firepower of the US military at its disposal ,a few rifles will make no difference.

I don't see how it's controversial to say that if potential terrorists have easier access to powerful guns then there are more likely to be terror attacks and worse terror attacks at that.I'm not forcing my will onto others.If they want to allow the sale of powerful weapons and suffer the consequences,they can.I'm just saying it would be better if less people could get their hands on guns with ease.And this doesn't just apply to terrorism but also to school shootings and other incidents.

It doesn't matter if it can be amended removing the right to bear arms is removing people's rights.
The second amendment also states "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

So is it rifles you are opposed to?

You are ignoring the fact that the murder rate stayed the same or increased in the uk, Ireland and Australia when they banned guns so the idea it will save lives is wrong.

If a gun laws stops terror attacks why has Germany, Belgium and France been victims of them?
Original post by Ladbants
Everyone
Whites, blacks, browns, yellows
Make America Native Again

SO... there will be a handful of american Indians who's ancestors survived the colonial genocide?
(edited 7 years ago)
I am totally anathema to most of what Trump stands for, but I agree with the basic concept of severely restricting immigration from countries whose values are so backwards and regressive in comparison to our own. We've already seen how this overzealous opening of arms has destroyed parts of Germany and Sweden.
Original post by LordJesus
It's almost like the only reason why you want a wall is because you want it to annoy liberals. You're immature and realise that politics isn't just about winning and losing.

There is some pretty stunning irony going on in your post. :smile:

Politics is all about winning and losing. It is about the gaining and then exercise of power.

An inability to realise this is very naive, if I may say. And yes, immature. :biggrin:
Original post by LordJesus
Politics is about winning and losing for parties and politicians. You're not part of the republican party, nor were you a part of Trump's team. You just spend time on the internet feeling like you've won something. You didn't even vote for him.

Politics is not just about power it is also about ideas. Turning ideas into action.

And ideas are international, they know no borders, no national electorate.

What Trump is doing in the US will resonate all over the world. The US is a global leader, in business, fashion, entertainment, and...

...in politics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending