The Student Room Group

completing the square

x^2 - 3x + 5 in the form (x - p)^2 + q
can anyone plx explain how do i do completing the square because i dont know if there is a method to do them
i suck at maths lol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by coolmathametics
can anyone plx explain how do i do completing the square because i dont know if there is a method to do them
i suck at maths lol

ax2+bx+c=a(x2+bax+ca)=a((x+b2a)2b24a2+ca) \displaystyle ax^2 + bx + c = a(x^2 + \frac{b}{a}x + \frac{c}{a}) = a \left( (x+\frac{b}{2a})^2 - \frac{b^2}{4a^2} + \frac{c}{a} \right)
Original post by DylanJ42
ax2+bx+c=a(x2+bax+ca)=a((x+b2a)2b24a2+c) \displaystyle ax^2 + bx + c = a(x^2 + \frac{b}{a}x + \frac{c}{a}) = a \left( (x+\frac{b}{2a})^2 - \frac{b^2}{4a^2} + c \right)

oml that looks way confusing lol
would u be able to make up an example n substitute the values plx so that way i know what to substitute n what is actually happening
Reply 3
i suck at maths lol

I recommend you watch a few videos on the topic and then come back to us if you're still stuck. You could try this video for example.
Reply 4
ax2+bx+c=a(x2+bax+ca)=a((x+b2a)2b24a2+ca) \displaystyle ax^2 + bx + c = a(x^2 + \frac{b}{a}x + \frac{c}{a}) = a \left( (x+\frac{b}{2a})^2 - \frac{b^2}{4a^2} + \frac{c}{a} \right)

Is that really going to help someone who can't complete the square for simple quadratic expressions?
(edited 7 years ago)
oml that looks way confusing lol
would u be able to make up an example n substitute the values plx so that way i know what to substitute n what is actually happening

yea sure, so something like x2+4x+7 \displaystyle x^2 + 4x + 7

to complete the square we write this as (x+2)24+7 \displaystyle (x + 2)^2 -4 + 7

this is because if you multiply out the squared bracket you get x2+2x+2x+4=x2+4x+4 \displaystyle x^2 + 2x + 2x + 4 = x^2 + 4x + 4 , however we only want x2+4x \displaystyle x^2 + 4x so we need to subtract the 4
Original post by notnek
I recommend you watch a few videos on the topic and then come back to us if you're still stuck. You could try this video for example.

i can do those ones but if the middle term is 7 or 11 then its a bit difficult :s-smilie:

Original post by notnek
Is that really going to help someone who can't complete the square for simple quadratic expressions?

lol i did i say i suck at maths but not that much, i can do simple ones but difficulty with the ones i explained above
(edited 7 years ago)
yea sure, so something like x2+4x+7 \displaystyle x^2 + 4x + 7

to complete the square we write this as (x+2)24+7 \displaystyle (x + 2)^2 -4 + 7

this is because if you multiply out the squared bracket you get x2+2x+2x+4=x2+4x+4 \displaystyle x^2 + 2x + 2x + 4 = x^2 + 4x + 4 , however we only want x2+4x \displaystyle x^2 + 4x so we need to subtract the 4

what is the middle term is 11 instead
what is the middle term is 11 instead

are you comfortable with the idea of comparing coefficients

eg if 3x2+4xax2+bx \displaystyle 3x^2 + 4x \equiv ax^2 +bx then a=3 and b=4

does that make sense?
can some1 help me plx
sorry if i seems desperate
Reply 10
i can do those ones but if the middle term is 7 or 11 then its a bit difficult :s-smilie:

You should have mentioned that in your initial post :smile:

Can you try completing the square for x^2 - 3x + 5?

It will be useful if you show us where you get stuck so please post all your working / thoughts up to the point you get stuck.

Also, is this for A Level or GCSE? Will you be using a calculator to do these types of questions?
can some1 help me plx
sorry if i seems desperate

If you have x2+bx+cx^2+bx+c then it can be written in the form (x+b2)2(b2)2+c(x+\frac{b}{2})^2-(\frac{b}{2})^2+c

So in your question you have b=3b=-3 and c=5c=5 - all it means is that an odd number being halved will give you a fraction to work with instead.

To understand why this works, you should watch a video on it and see how this is derived.
Original post by notnek
You should have mentioned that in your initial post :smile:

Can you try completing the square for x^2 - 3x + 5?

It will be useful if you show us where you get stuck so please post all your working / thoughts up to the point you get stuck.

Also, is this for A Level or GCSE? Will you be using a calculator to do these types of questions?

ooops sorry but i can do e.g. x^2 + 4x + 6
because i k 2 + 2 would be 4
so its gonna be (x+2)^2 + 2 i think :/
regards to ur question, i dunno how to start like the first step cox i can't find the half of 3x so its gonna be like 3/2 which is gonna be difficult to see how to work out the part that goes outside of the bracket... if u see what i mean

its for A level - core 1 non cal
are you comfortable with the idea of comparing coefficients

eg if 3x2+4xax2+bx \displaystyle 3x^2 + 4x \equiv ax^2 +bx then a=3 and b=4

does that make sense?

i am so confused
ok so lets say ---> x^2 + 7x - 3
what i need to know is how i get half of 7 cox it cant be divided by 2
i suck at maths lol

http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/completing-the-square.html
Watch this ^ the guy explains it quickly and easily.
i am so confused
ok so lets say ---> x^2 + 7x - 3
what i need to know is how i get half of 7 cox it cant be divided by 2

its just 72 \displaystyle \frac{7}{2} , fractions are allowed in completing the square
its just 72 \displaystyle \frac{7}{2} , fractions are allowed in completing the square

alright but how am i gonna work out + q (the outside bit)
Original post by Anonymous1502
http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/completing-the-square.html
Watch this ^ the guy explains it quickly and easily.

i can do those ones pretty easily cox there ain't any fractions in the answer *_*
Reply 18
ooops sorry but i can do e.g. x^2 + 4x + 6
because i k 2 + 2 would be 4
so its gonna be (x+2)^2 + 2 i think :/
regards to ur question, i dunno how to start like the first step cox i can't find the half of 3x so its gonna be like 3/2 which is gonna be difficult to see how to work out the part that goes outside of the bracket... if u see what i mean

its for A level - core 1 non cal

There are different ways to think about 'completing the square' but I recommend this method when there are fractions and it's non calculator:

E.g. x23x+5x^2 - 3x + 5

Start by halving 3-3 to get 32-\frac{3}{2} as you say

So you get (x32)2\left(x-\frac{3}{2}\right)^2

Then you need to subtract the square of
Unparseable latex formula:

-\frac{3}{2}\right

and then add on 5 (let me know if you can't see where I'm getting these numbers from).

So you end up with :

(x32)2(32)2+5\displaystyle \left(x-\frac{3}{2}\right)^2 - \left(-\frac{3}{2}\right)^2 + 5

=(x32)294+5\displaystyle =\left(x-\frac{3}{2}\right)^2 - \frac{9}{4} + 5

Now change the 55 so it has the same denominator as 94\frac{9}{4}

=(x32)294+204\displaystyle =\left(x-\frac{3}{2}\right)^2 - \frac{9}{4} + \frac{20}{4}

=(x32)2+114\displaystyle =\left(x-\frac{3}{2}\right)^2+\frac{11}{4}

Now see if you can follow this process for a different example. Post your working if you get stuck.
(edited 7 years ago)
alright but how am i gonna work out + q (the outside bit)

as notnek said, try do an example so we can see where you get stuck.

try complete the square on x23x+5 \displaystyle x^2 - 3x + 5

Quick Reply

Latest