The Student Room Group

Supreme x Louis Vuitton

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EC
LV is overpriced and ostentatious.

On the contrary, Louis Vuitton is relatively mid-market in the grand scheme of haute couture. Hermes, Chanel, and Fendi produce far more expensive bags than the standard Louis Vuitton core collection.

But I have always had a soft soft for Louis Vuitton and the rich brown canvas, paired with the untreated vachetta leather that ages along with the wearer. It screamed classic and timeless to me.

Shame 'hype' and streetwear affected them.
:laugh:
Kinda bleak really - is this really 'fashion' nowadays? :rofl:
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
That is EXACTLY it! :toofunny:

I disagree, Louis Vuitton's classic monogram print is iconic and never looked tacky to me. I used to associate it with class, which drove my passion for the brand:

I used to think people who worse LV exuded class. Now I am not so sure. The brown monogram canvas print has become so ubiquitous that it's no longer impressive.

A luxury fashion item loses it "prestige" when it becomes overly accessible. The amount of people I see in everyday life with a monogram canvas over their shoulder makes me doubt how "exclusive" LV are as a brand.

The amount of chavs I see with a brown LV bag slung over their shoulder further reinforces this. They are likely knock-offs but the this ubiquity has certainly lessened LV's prestige. I would never be caught dead wearing the traditional monogram print.
I started to see Louis Vuitton's descent with the release of 'LV Twist'.

It was such a departure from the classic monogram, that at the time I really was shocked. I believe that this was the idea of Nicolas Ghesquiere, who replaced Marc Jacobs as creative director in late 2013.
On the contrary, Louis Vuitton is relatively mid-market in the grand scheme of haute couture. Hermes, Chanel, and Fendi produce far more expensive bags than the standard Louis Vuitton core collection.

But I have always had a soft soft for Louis Vuitton and the rich brown canvas, paired with the untreated vachetta leather that ages along with the wearer. It screamed classic and timeless to me.

LV may not be the most expensive but versus most other fashion houses, LV bags hold their own. The only handbag brands which tend keep their value are Hermes, Chanel and Louis Vuittion. They are seen as the Holy Trinity of handbags. With other brands (like Fendi, Givenchy, Gucci etc) reselling bags at the same price or higher price is tricky/ impossible.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by habeas.corpus
I used to think people who worse LV exuded class. Now I am not so sure. The brown monogram canvas print has become so ubiquitous that it's no longer impressive.

A luxury fashion item loses it "prestige" when it becomes overly accessible. The amount of people I see in everyday life with a monogram canvas over their shoulder makes me doubt how "exclusive" LV are as a brand.

The amount of chavs I see with a brown LV bag slung over their shoulder further reinforces this. They are likely knock-offs but the this ubiquity has certainly lessened LV's prestige. I would never be caught dead wearing the traditional monogram print.

This all resonates with me, very good points.

I still do use my bags, I like them - it is just unfortunate that they have a different type of association nowadays. However, I have definitely rethought my plans to purchase another item from them. I think I'll be investing in a different fashion house.
LV may not be the most expensive but versus most other fashion houses, LV bags hold their own. The only handbag brands which tend keep their value are Hermes, Chanel and Louis Vuittion. They are seen as the Holy Trinity of handbags. With other brands (like Fendi, Givenchy, Gucci etc) reselling bags at the same price or higher price is tricky/ impossible.

Again, good point. :lol:

Fendi do tend to make their handbags (peekaboo etcetera) ridiculously priced though, in comparison to Louis Vuitton - which makes it seem more exclusive and inaccessible I feel.
This all resonates with me, very good points.

I still do use my bags, I like them - it is just unfortunate that they have a different type of association nowadays. However, I have definitely rethought my plans to purchase another item from them. I think I'll be investing in a different fashion house.

A bit like how Burberry lost it prestige when they became associated with Chav culture. Although, LV does makes some very nice pieces. I do like the Monogram Vernis Leather; it's not something you see people wearing often and patent leather is easy to care for. I think the safest choices for "prestige" and investment will always be Chanel and Hermes. I don't think either of them could ever become tacky. The value of Chanel handbags has risen faster than property or gold since the 1950s, and has never fallen.
(edited 7 years ago)
Managed to see the shoulder bag and bandana the other day! I believe that this collaboration is to make an example for other 'high end' brands, perhaps trying to make a trend. This kind of thing has been done before but not with two notorious designers who have the most attention from their target market. This may also be LV making stepping stones between fashion icons. Who knows, we may see high-end street fashion becoming a common occurrence.

Nice to see a genuine Supreme x Louis Vuitton collection rather than the 2000 bootleg release!
Reply 30

I wasn't comparing.

Imo, If you're taking a look just at the product itself, these luxury items, though they have very high quality, their branding, iconic image and their customer service make the products very expensive. Even tho luxury isn't exclusive anymore.

Their bags are an investment, but the quality isn't the same as it used to be, the bags from the previous decades are worth far more than the new ones.
lol they all look crap.

Most items of clothing are ruined once you stick a massive brand logo/name on it. Turns you into a walking advertisement which I find unattractive.
Watch the TSR roadmen hype for this :rofl:

How much will this be? £2000? I'd expect nothing less for that complex and hard to produce design :daydreaming:
Reply 33
I started to see Louis Vuitton's descent with the release of 'LV Twist'.

It was such a departure from the classic monogram, that at the time I really was shocked. I believe that this was the idea of Nicolas Ghesquiere, who replaced Marc Jacobs as creative director in late 2013.

This is beautiful.
I want the Supreme bag
Reply 35
Original post by ChickenMadness
lol they all look crap.

Most items of clothing are ruined once you stick a massive brand logo/name on it. Turns you into a walking advertisement which I find unattractive.

:rofl: :rofl:
Reply 36
Original post by saraxh
I want the Supreme bag

Omg you can't be serious.
Original post by EC
I wasn't comparing.

Imo, If you're taking a look just at the product itself, these luxury items, though they have very high quality, their branding, iconic image and their customer service make the products very expensive. Even tho luxury isn't exclusive anymore.

Their bags are an investment, but the quality isn't the same as it used to be, the bags from the previous decades are worth far more than the new ones.

The quality of LV bags have more or less been the same. Were it to change significantly, the brand would suffer huge damage to their reputation. One of the major selling points of luxury fashion houses is their reputation for quality.

Also not sure about the last part of your comment where you say the bags from previous decades are worth more than the new ones? That might be true for Hermes but I don't think that's true for LV.
(edited 7 years ago)
A bit like how Burberry lost it prestige when they became associated with Chav culture. Although, LV does makes some very nice pieces. I do like the Monogram Vernis Leather; it's not something you see people wearing often and patent leather is easy to care for. I think the safest choices for "prestige" and investment will always be Chanel and Hermes. I don't think either of them could ever become tacky. The value of Chanel handbags has risen faster than property or gold since the 1950s, and has never fallen.

Slowly but surely, I feel like Burberry is rising up in the ranks again! The pattern does still evoke nausea, but they're on their way to recovery I feel.
Epi leather and the leather options in general are quite nice, I agree with the vernis - I haven't seen that worn out much.

Probably true, but Hermes I feel is the worst - ugly and simple design, huge waiting lists and celebrities owning tens in different colours. I see that their resell price is high though, as you point out. Chanel has a price increase multiple times a year I believe, I feel that helps them retain their inaccessibility. Chanel is the safest bet, I agree.
Original post by EC
Omg you can't be serious.

Lol I mean I know it's not on Dior or Givenchy level(no offence) but it's nice. I saw it on Instagram first.

Quick Reply

Latest