The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

Online Law Degree (LBB) advice and experience for first year student

Hello,

In May, I am starting my Law degree online. Are there any Law students or students with a Law degree that could give me any advice? speed reading? how to keep high work load under control? first year student mistakes? anyone who has done a degree online? anything really.

I have not done a degree online before, I am not sure what to expect, plus it's online.

I am also doing my Law GCSE exam before May (I don't need this as I have my A-Level in the meantime however it's just the exam now so I may as well do it) any advice for the exam and a Law student?

Thank you in advance

Robert
Which online course? University of London? The Open University? Etc.
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Reply 2
I should be going with the Uni of Essex.
My top tips are to:

(1) Aim for first class marks - don't settle for anything less than top grades. This will make you work hard, become ultra critical of your own work, and learn to write well quickly. Write your essays as far in advance as you can and read them again and again before submitting.

(2) Buy the Nutshells revision book(s) for each module you are going to study. They are easy to read and will ensure you learn the core concepts before getting caught up in the details. The Nutcases books are also great for learning the core cases you need for each subject.
Reply 4
Thank you for your advice MonteCristo. I will take a look at the Nutshells revision books now. How do I know the correct ones to look at, for someone who's about to start their law degree (LBB)? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :smile:
You could ask Essex for a list of first year modules as it makes sense to read around those rather than something you won't cover until the final year.

All qualifying LLBs must include public law (constitutional/administrative) European Union law, procedural law (including law of evidence), criminal law, law of obligations (contract, restitution, and tort), property law (real property), and trusts and equity.

If you're just keen to get started, you could buy Nutshells English Legal System (as a general introduction) and Nutshells Criminal Law (probably a fun read). I wouldn't try to learn anything at this stage, just read and start to get a flavour for what's coming next. You can probably buy many of these second hand on Amazon for #0.01p + P&P. In general terms, an old edition won't matter much and any huge changes in the law should be obvious from the taught material that you receive as part of your course.
Please read Letters to a Law Student by N Mcbride (a Cambridge lecturer). That book is filled with invaluable advice on how to approach your legal studies.
Reply 7
Thank you. I will get in touch with the uni and ask if I could get the modules. I'm sure I seen this on their site somewhere as it list the credits also.

I will, where could I locate the Letters to a Law Student by N Mcbride?

All your advice is great, thank you.
Original post by Rstarling
Thank you. I will get in touch with the uni and ask if I could get the modules. I'm sure I seen this on their site somewhere as it list the credits also.

I will, where could I locate the Letters to a Law Student by N Mcbride?

All your advice is great, thank you.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Letters-Law-Student-Studying-University/dp/1447922654/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485383585&sr=8-1&keywords=letters+to+a+law+student

An easy read. Good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by MonteCristo
You could ask Essex for a list of first year modules as it makes sense to read around those rather than something you won't cover until the final year.

All qualifying LLBs must include public law (constitutional/administrative) European Union law, procedural law (including law of evidence), criminal law, law of obligations (contract, restitution, and tort), property law (real property), and trusts and equity.

If you're just keen to get started, you could buy Nutshells English Legal System (as a general introduction) and Nutshells Criminal Law (probably a fun read). I wouldn't try to learn anything at this stage, just read and start to get a flavour for what's coming next. You can probably buy many of these second hand on Amazon for #0.01p + P&P. In general terms, an old edition won't matter much and any huge changes in the law should be obvious from the taught material that you receive as part of your course.

Are any of the Nutshells books good for a first year law student? Can see them on eBay for a couple of pound secound hand. What sort of level are they designed for? Thanks.
Reply 10
im thinking of joining uni of essex online {llb} but im in 2 minds ?

any anyone with experience with uni essex online???/?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by johnsmithy163

What are you thinking? I am also looking for anyone who's done an online degree.. if you do start it let me know. I should be starting mine in May.
ok
Reply 14
What are you thinking? I am also looking for anyone who's done an online degree.. if you do start it let me know. I should be starting mine in May.

ok

Why are you in two minds about taking the course online?
(edited 7 years ago)
Are any of the Nutshells books good for a first year law student? Can see them on eBay for a couple of pound secound hand. What sort of level are they designed for? Thanks.

To be honest, the Nutshells books are perfectly readable for a complete lay person and so should be accessible to a first year law student. If you are on a budget, you could just buy old editions for almost nothing - they look like this and started at £0.01p on Amazon.

There will be the occasional development in the law since the old editions were published but those differences should be obvious in the course material you are sent by your university. The fundamental principles will largely be unchanged and these books are great for providing an overview of each core topic.
Reply 16
Original post by MonteCristo
To be honest, the Nutshells books are perfectly readable for a complete lay person and so should be accessible to a first year law student. If you are on a budget, you could just buy old editions for almost nothing - they look like this and started at £0.01p on Amazon.

There will be the occasional development in the law since the old editions were published but those differences should be obvious in the course material you are sent by your university. The fundamental principles will largely be unchanged and these books are great for providing an overview of each core topic.

That's brilliant. I will buy one next month, and If it's good I'll buy them in all subjects of law.

If you can think of anything else that could help or just information for a frist year student (online) please just let me know.

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending