The Student Room Group

UKMT Intermediate maths challenge 2017 help!

I'm doing the Intermediate challenge for the second time on Thursday 2nd February. I didn't do very well on my previous attempt and was wondering if there are any ways to prepare for it along with using practice papers. Any advice and tips?
Reply 1
Original post by TotallyWilde
I'm doing the Intermediate challenge for the second time on Thursday 2nd February. I didn't do very well on my previous attempt and was wondering if there are any ways to prepare for it along with using practice papers. Any advice and tips?

Practice papers are the best way and the only one that will make a real difference.

But to tell the truth, I think you are wasting your time. You don't lose anything if you do badly in the maths challenge. It really is only relevant for those people who are naturally good at it, and want a chance to stretch and prove themselves.

You really have to be innately good at these things. If you're not, no amount of practise will change that. If you are, practice could give you the edge.
Original post by Yh60
Practice papers are the best way and the only one that will make a real difference.

But to tell the truth, I think you are wasting your time. You don't lose anything if you do badly in the maths challenge. It really is only relevant for those people who are naturally good at it, and want a chance to stretch and prove themselves.

You really have to be innately good at these things. If you're not, no amount of practise will change that. If you are, practice could give you the edge.

Thank you for the reply!
I do see your point of view but I'm determined to improve from last year. After last year's exam, I had a really negative view towards the maths challenge and didn't really try to see where I went wrong or attempt to understand why.
You have a valid point in which some people are naturally good at it and others not so much. Yet as I'm preparing for the upcoming maths challenge I feel as if I've got some kind of grip on it. However, even if I don't get a certificate at least I tried this time.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest