The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saraxh
What made you think that she could be a man?

partly her parallel parking, but mostly just her b*llocks.
Original post by Anonymous

um.... i'm pretty sure there wouldn't be naked pics and I'm into that kind of things...

Ask for photos of him/her in the bath
Original post by cambio wechsel

gold star

I'm getting 'You've already rated a post by this user recently' far too much with you!

Quality answer. 10/10.
Firstly, what difference does it make?

Secondly, how do you know you aren't intersex and your parents have been hiding it from you?
hahahahah the power of having private parts under clothes! You could have a tiny dick surprise for your new bf.
Original post by mojojojo101
Firstly, what difference does it make?

Secondly, how do you know you aren't intersex and your parents have been hiding it from you?

OP could be intersex and their parents might not even know. The range of intersex conditions is so huge and not all are noticeable at birth.
It isn't any of your business if your girlfriend is '100% girl' or not. If she doesn't want to tell you if she's intersex then she won't tell you and you do not have an inherent right to know anything about her medical history if she does not wish to disclose it.

Having a partner who is intersex does not change who they are and it does not change your sexuality. If your girlfriend was born with ambiguous genitalia, isn't it a bit creepy to want to know what she looked like as a naked baby?

If it bothers you that much then you can ask her but it isn't your right to know. If it's because of sex life then she'll tell you if it's relevant to you having sex.
Check how hairy she is.
Just yesterday in the Guardian:
According to the United Nations, up to 1.7% of the world’s population is born with intersex traits, a figure roughly equivalent to the number of people with red hair. Many keep their condition secret.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/24/model-hanne-gaby-odiele-reveals-she-is-intersex

What is your point? Are you trying to say it's actually not unlikely to date an intersexual person?

Unless intersexuals are concentrated in small geographical areas like having red hair is, that comparison is totally irrelevant. Red hair also seems more common than it actually is because people with red hair are overrepresented in the media and people, like me, dye our hair red even though we weren't born with it.

1.7% means you have to date almost 60 people to meet one intersexual - how many people date 60 people in their lives? Let alone considering all 60 to be in a long-term relationship?

You also need to remember unless you're bisexual, that number is cut by half (unless intersexuals have a disproportional tendency towards one of the genders) - so you will need to date almost 120 people to meet 1.

Normal people don't even worry about their partner being secretly gay or HIV+, so why worry about this?
Original post by Sabertooth
The offside rule (in football I assume) is pretty simple.... :confused:

Well you're male so you would think that wouldn't you?
Original post by Little Toy Gun
What is your point? Are you trying to say it's actually not unlikely to date an intersexual person?

You asked why he would ever be concerned about this. My strong suspicion is that his concern is precisely as old as that news story, which received global coverage on Tuesday.

Unless intersexuals are concentrated in small geographical areas like having red hair is, that comparison is totally irrelevant. Red hair also seems more common than it actually is because people with red hair are overrepresented in the media and people, like me, dye our hair red even though we weren't born with it.

1.7% means you have to date almost 60 people to meet one intersexual - how many people date 60 people in their lives? Let alone considering all 60 to be in a long-term relationship?

You also need to remember unless you're bisexual, that number is cut by half (unless intersexuals have a disproportional tendency towards one of the genders) - so you will need to date almost 120 people to meet 1.

Normal people don't even worry about their partner being secretly gay or HIV+, so why worry about this?

Let's just say that if my odds of winning the lottery jackpot were 1.7%, I'd be buying a LOT of tickets. If you have seven sexual partners over your life time (and they are as likely as the average person to be intersex), the chances of at least one being intersex are above 11.3%. It's not something to worry about because it really isn't a big deal in most cases, but to categorise it as wildly unlikely is simply wrong.
You asked why he would ever be concerned about this. My strong suspicion is that his concern is precisely as old as that news story, which received global coverage on Tuesday.

Just being gullible then.

It sounds like it's very likely when it says it's the same as dating a red head, conveniently leaving out the fact that one's chances of dating a red head is much much higher in England than in say China.
Original post by Saoirse:3
Let's just say that if my odds of winning the lottery jackpot were 1.7%, I'd be buying a LOT of tickets. If you have seven sexual partners over your life time (and they are as likely as the average person to be intersex), the chances of at least one being intersex are above 11.3%. It's not something to worry about because it really isn't a big deal in most cases, but to categorise it as wildly unlikely is simply wrong.

Yes, not equally unlikely. But I wanted to use a positive example, not a negative one, and off the top of my head that was the only thing I could think of.

First of all, I pointed out it's about long-term relationships not a hookup. LTRs would normally be a number lower than sexual partners (so even fewer than 7).

Secondly, 11.3% is still really unlikely, and that is if you're bisexual..

Secondly, 11.3% is still really unlikely, and that is if you're bisexual..

how does being bisexual bear on this?
how does being bisexual bear on this?

I didn't do the mathematics but I just assumed that figure was calculated from the 1.7% number. If you date only one of the genders, your chances of meeting an intersexual is down by half.

But if the 11.3% figure has already taken that into account then just forget that part.
If you date only one of the genders, your chances of meeting an intersexual is down by half.

No. If salmonella is evenly distributed between brown and white eggs, a person eating only brown eggs exposes himself to precisely the same degree of risk as someone eating both, where they consume in the same quantity.
It's not dodgy. When you have dated 60 people, there should be 1 intersexual. But my point was hardly anyone seriously dates 60 or 120 people. I didn't make a claim on the chances of dating an intersexual when you're dating your 61st person.

How many people have 60, 40, or 30 long-term romantic partners? Let's just say this person has short LTRs, you will need to be constantly dating with almost no breaks and rather short relationships the whole time to call 30 people your boyfriends or girlfriends.

On selection bias - we don't know who this person is or how this person is like. We also don't know the girl. We know nothing to judge whether it was even remotely reasonable.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending