The Student Room Group

Is law a useless degree?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lauren1498x
wow i cannot believe i have just read this whole thread...

A degree is what you make of it. Getting a first in a respected field at a reasonably good university will open so many doors for you.

yes oxbridge has a status which even other outstanding universities don't have (this pains me to write since i got rejected fml) However a first in law from LSE/Durham is certainly not useless at all

Personally I'd say getting a first in law/history/economics from a high ranking RG uni is probably going to be more beneficial than a 2:2 from an ex poly. - please correct me if i'm wrong but this would make sense in general

also if you love STEM so much..... why do you care about law?

You were rejected from Oxbridge? Did you get the standard rejection or did they personally write to you? Also I don't care about law. At all
Original post by LisaNikita
You were rejected from Oxbridge? Did you get the standard rejection or did they personally write to you? Also I don't care about law. At all

i got to interview, then got the standard rejection and am awaiting feedback.

that's why i'm asking why have you started this thread if you already don't care about law
Original post by Lauren1498x
i got to interview, then got the standard rejection and am awaiting feedback.

that's why i'm asking why have you started this thread if you already don't care about law

Its just a question you don't have to care about it. The same way I asked a question on your dream shattering rejection :smile: Which I couldn't care less about anyway.
Its just a question you don't have to care about it. The same way I asked a question on your dream shattering rejection :smile: Which I couldn't care less about anyway.

Christ! Why so aggressive?
Why is this thread still going on? OP is bitter af that she doesn't have the mental capacity to do a law degree, so she's keeping this going to feed her self-esteem. :rofl:
Original post by Princepieman
+1 for excellent response and for your username TCKs ftw!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile: and yes, TCKs ftw!!
I like to think of Law as a regular degree with the added benefits of more prestige and professional accreditation should you want to go into law.

It's basically an upgrade from your standard History, English, Geography, Politics, Linguistics, etc.
(edited 7 years ago)

I don't know who you are and what you're going through, but you're obviously suffering in one way or another if you feel the need to bring other people down in this way. Unless you've been in the position of a person who has been rejected in that way, or frankly, in the position of someone who has been seriously considering their future, you have no right to treat someone else that way. I'm very sorry for whatever it is that has made you feel so insecure and bitter that you have decided to attack so many people and their aspirations just from this thread, but it does not justify you treating others in this way and I do sincerely hope that things will get better for you soon.
law is defo NOT a useless degree, I mean have you seen suits
Apparently there are more people in colleges studying law then there are actual jobs. Is this true?

More supply, less demand. Law is useless. Simple

Seems like you just answered your own question:sogood:

But I guess you were too high up on your horse to see that.
The degree obviously is useless. You can't even justify a point with valid reasons you have to add in a few "racist, sexist, delusional" ********.

I know nothing about the law degree, but honestly calling it useless is outright abysmal, but hey! all to their own opinion :|
Yes a law degree is pretty useless because most of the new jobs being created in the UK simply require people to do simple things quickly.
(edited 7 years ago)
Compared to something like philosophy or english it has near god-tier usefulness.
Original post by Oddwatermelon
Oxbridge helps if you want to get onto the commercial bar. However, the commercial bar is arguably very 'backward' and if you're not the right 'type' of person you won't get in - Oxbridge or not. Less than half of barristers are Oxbridge educated.

Yes, the 'type' in question being very academically gifted and articulate (etc).

Do you suppose that the statement that 'less than half of barristers' come from just two universities supports the proposition that those universities aren't a helpful addition to a CV?
As someone who has not even successfully made it into sixth form yet, I don't feel like you're in a position to be commenting on the quality of one of the most highly respected degress in the world (if gained from a decent instituion). Anyhoo, nice bait.
(edited 7 years ago)
For anyone who has not looked through the thread history, this is clearly a troll account. Best to leave its sad little self be.
Not useless, but most people are incredibly misinformed about its prospects.

If you study medicine, education, nursing, or most other professional degrees, you can assume you can be a physician, teacher, nurse, or whatever profession you're supposed to be in in the end (even though of course it's still not a guarantee).

But with a law degree, you're not even getting the license to practise at the end, and you must have it in order to practise (unlike going into accountancy/auditing).
Original post by Obiejess
As someone who has not even successfully made it into sixth form yet, I don't feel like you're in a position to be commenting on the quality of one of the most highly respected degress in the world (if gained from a decent instituion). Anyhoo, nice bait.

is it really respected then if the credits belong to only the top 10 universities in the uk? I'm doing AS Maths in year 10 so I'm sure I can tell you your degree is rubbish.
Original post by thirdcultureteen
I don't know who you are and what you're going through, but you're obviously suffering in one way or another if you feel the need to bring other people down in this way. Unless you've been in the position of a person who has been rejected in that way, or frankly, in the position of someone who has been seriously considering their future, you have no right to treat someone else that way. I'm very sorry for whatever it is that has made you feel so insecure and bitter that you have decided to attack so many people and their aspirations just from this thread, but it does not justify you treating others in this way and I do sincerely hope that things will get better for you soon.

I'm generally like that? I'll say it how it is.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Not useless, but most people are incredibly misinformed about its prospects.

If you study medicine, education, nursing, or most other professional degrees, you can assume you can be a physician, teacher, nurse, or whatever profession you're supposed to be in in the end (even though of course it's still not a guarantee).

But with a law degree, you're not even getting the license to practise at the end, and you must have it in order to practise (unlike going into accountancy/auditing).

That is what I was saying. You can only go on to be a lawyer etc. The law degree doesn't make you a lawyer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending