The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I read at least a couple of books a month. I enjoy reading and that's why I do it. I think it also improved your vocabulary/writing skills if that's something which matters to you.
Usually it varies but I read at least one a book a month (I'm in a book club) and try to read about a book a week. I read non-fiction much slower than fiction though
Reply 3
Original post by doodle_333
I read at least a couple of books a month. I enjoy reading and that's why I do it. I think it also improved your vocabulary/writing skills if that's something which matters to you.

When is it that you find time to read may I ask? Im unsure how often I should put the time in daily.
Little bit every night :smile:
Then there's the textbooks and stuff before/during lessons :tongue: :smile:
Original post by William2813
When is it that you find time to read may I ask? Im unsure how often I should put the time in daily.

I read whenever I fancy it, sometimes I go a few days without reading, sometimes I sit and read for half the day. I read more in summer as I'll go sit outside with a book. Honestly when I read varies, before bed is always a good time as it helps you relax but I quite often grab my kindle for half an hour after I finish work and I usually take it with me and read during breaks.
Reply 6
Original post by chrishudson
Usually it varies but I read at least one a book a month (I'm in a book club) and try to read about a book a week. I read non-fiction much slower than fiction though

A lot of my books are non-fiction and I read them slow in comparison too. Although Im planning to read fiction more often over the coming months. Are you specific to when you choose to read? Time of day etc
Reply 7
That's a great effort! I hope you can achieve that.

I plan to read a lot more fiction, I can understand the point made about non-fiction, videos are always great and I do find it is easier. But reading opens up a different perspective on non-fiction topics so I feel it is still worth it.

Do you read non-fiction or mostly fiction?
Reply 8
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Little bit every night :smile:
Then there's the textbooks and stuff before/during lessons :tongue: :smile:

Sounds like me currently :smile:
Sounds like me currently :smile:

Yep! Nothing wrong with that!
I will increase the amount I read as this year elapses!
It's important to read for your vocabulary, learning (non-fiction) and also if you're learning a foreign language - reading in it is very beneficial! (I was reading a French novel but now just a page a day :redface:)
Original post by doodle_333
I read whenever I fancy it, sometimes I go a few days without reading, sometimes I sit and read for half the day. I read more in summer as I'll go sit outside with a book. Honestly when I read varies, before bed is always a good time as it helps you relax but I quite often grab my kindle for half an hour after I finish work and I usually take it with me and read during breaks.

Whenever you have free time would you say? I do the same during summer, it's more appealing reading in a particular environment you enjoy.

I should really get a kindle :smile:
Yep! Nothing wrong with that!
I will increase the amount I read as this year elapses!
It's important to read for your vocabulary, learning (non-fiction) and also if you're learning a foreign language - reading in it is very beneficial! (I was reading a French novel but now just a page a day :redface:)

I guess so!
Well that is my plan too, when I have free time I want to read and get into the habit.

That is good advice, I am planning to learn a language too (French or Russian - I already know some basics of Russian and some of the alphabet). Maybe foreign books will be a thing I attempt when I go to university in September as I might take a language module with my course :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I guess so!
Well that is my plan too, when I have free time I want to read and get into the habit.

That is good advice, I am planning to learn a language too (French or Russian - I already know some basics of Russian and some of the alphabet). Maybe foreign books will be a think I attempt when I go to university in September as I might take a language module with my course :smile:

:yy: Definitely! What sort of books do you like to read?
Go for it! Start with something simple like: Teen Readers :yep:
I was very tempted to as well!
If you come across a word you don't know whilst reading, write it down and then maybe put it on www.quizlet.com or www.memrise.com and learn it :smile:
:yy: Definitely! What sort of books do you like to read?
Go for it! Start with something simple like: Teen Readers :yep:
I was very tempted to as well!
If you come across a word you don't know whilst reading, write it down and then maybe put it on www.quizlet.com or www.memrise.com and learn it :smile:

Hmm well it depends, I have non fiction stuff about the deep ocean and science stuff which I like, but in terms of fiction I am more open to lots of things, I have books such as the hobbit, which I haven't read much of, Harry Potter too, but right now I am happy to read anything interesting. I have a book called titan by Stephen Baxter, I'm gonna start reading that :smile:

What about you? :smile: I used to use memrise so I am quite used to that :3
Hmm well it depends, I have non fiction stuff about the deep ocean and science stuff which I like, but in terms of fiction I am more open to lots of things, I have books such as the hobbit, which I haven't read much of, Harry Potter too, but right now I am happy to read anything interesting. I have a book called titan by Stephen Baxter, I'm gonna start reading that :smile:

What about you? :smile: I used to use memrise so I am quite used to that :3

Ah ok :tongue:
I read all sorts! From classics, to non-fiction on Chemistry/Physics/random topics of interest such as French Literature or the Highway Code :rofl: to thrillers/crimes/fantasy :tongue:. I am a particular fan of books you can't put down etc.
At the moment I am reading The Return of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle and a bit of L'etranger - Camus.

Nice :yy:
I like Quizlet for making my own but memrise for using that of others :giggle:
I wouldn't feel pressured, just enjoy it but don't rush it :smile: that's an great reason to read, I do the same for non fiction, to better myself, what sort of stuff do you like?

Is it matter of your interest at the time or the fact you don't like to alternate between the two? Have you noticed benefits from your frequent reading of both non fiction and fiction?
Ah ok :tongue:
I read all sorts! From classics, to non-fiction on Chemistry/Physics/random topics of interest such as French Literature or the Highway Code :rofl: to thrillers/crimes/fantasy :tongue:. I am a particular fan of books you can't put down etc.
At the moment I am reading The Return of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle and a bit of L'etranger - Camus.

Nice :yy:
I like Quizlet for making my own but memrise for using that of others :giggle:

I like to read up on different stuff too, in terms of classics I read some of the origin of Species 2nd edition and I plan to pick that back up, what classics do you like?

I love science so anything regarding planets and the earth/space travel I will read up on, I usually do this online as well as books. I do lots of reading on these subjects and always have, things like mountains and anthropology is all part of my interests :smile:

That sounds great but I can't say I know much about the book :P

I will check Quizlet out!
I like to read up on different stuff too, in terms of classics I read some of the origin of Species 2nd edition and I plan to pick that back up, what classics do you like?

I love science so anything regarding planets and the earth/space travel I will read up on, I usually do this online as well as books. I do lots of reading on these subjects and always have, things like mountains and anthropology is all part of my interests :smile:

That sounds great but I can't say I know much about the book :P

I will check Quizlet out!

Erm I meant fictional classics, like Dickens or Caroll or something. I like the Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett the most :tongue:

:yy: Same :five: I like reading about the cross between Physics/Chemistry and weird Chemistry :mmm: and Chemistry and erm :colondollar: Space is cool
:moon:

Go for it! I can PM u my Quizlet username if you're interested in my French Quizlets :tongue:
Erm I meant fictional classics, like Dickens or Caroll or something. I like the Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett the most :tongue:

:yy: Same :five: I like reading about the cross between Physics/Chemistry and weird Chemistry :mmm: and Chemistry and erm :colondollar: Space is cool
:moon:

Go for it! I can PM u my Quizlet username if you're interested in my French Quizlets :tongue:

Ohh okay still sounds great! I will look into them :smile:

Yes it is really interesting, I love biology and the link with physics, also astrobiology! Extraterrestrial life and stuff :smile: what do you like abput chemistry the most and are you studying it at university? :P

Okay sure thing! I might be a little while to reply though as I have to go offline for a little while.
Ohh okay still sounds great! I will look into them :smile:

Yes it is really interesting, I love biology and the link with physics, also astrobiology! Extraterrestrial life and stuff :smile: what do you like abput chemistry the most and are you studying it at university? :P

Okay sure thing! I might be a little while to reply though as I have to go offline for a little while.

Do :yy:
:yep: The fact it sort of is everything, that it isn't just the Periodic table :colonhash: it's how reactions happen, why they don't, how to find out what this compound is, why this compound is green etc. It's awesome :P
Applied to read it at Uni :ahee:

Np, take care :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending