The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Do :yy:
:yep: The fact it sort of is everything, that it isn't just the Periodic table :colonhash: it's how reactions happen, why they don't, how to find out what this compound is, why this compound is green etc. It's awesome :P
Applied to read it at Uni :ahee:

Np, take care :smile:

I will :smile:

Yes all of that is interesting! I dont meet many people who actually enjoy reading up on science in their own time as a hobby, I love to do it so we are quite similar in those terms! :smile:

How do you mean aha? :3

Just leave a message and I'll get back to you soon!
Original post by William2813
I will :smile:
Yes all of that is interesting! I dont meet many people who actually enjoy reading up on science in their own time as a hobby, I love to do it so we are quite similar in those terms! :smile:
How do you mean aha? :3
Just leave a message and I'll get back to you soon!

:tongue:
:thumbsup: You don't exactly go looking then, do you? :biggrin:
I've applied to study Chemistry for September entry :smile:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
:tongue:
:thumbsup: You don't exactly go looking then, do you? :biggrin:
I've applied to study Chemistry for September entry :smile:

Well I would say it's more to the fact all the people I know do it for just education nothing more, I don't know xD where have you applied? :smile:
I can't say Ive heard of any of those. I should look into it. I am a sci fi person, I enjoy that too, how do you find western reading? Sounds quite interesting.

I can imagine that situation, especially considering it would take so long to read them all!

It's good to hear you find fiction beneficial too, and that's what I hope to gain from reading it as I don't want it to feel pointless other than just a good story. I'll keep that in mind, I don't like reading multiple at one time unless they are informative books or for short reads.
Whenever you have free time would you say? I do the same during summer, it's more appealing reading in a particular environment you enjoy.

I should really get a kindle :smile:

yeah, I mean I have other hobbies too and try and fit them all in! Luckily I don't work full time right now so I have plenty of time for nice things...

Definitely recommend the kindle, I felt like it wouldn't be as nice as a 'real book' but it's so easy to read + take around with you, I love it
Original post by doodle_333
yeah, I mean I have other hobbies too and try and fit them all in! Luckily I don't work full time right now so I have plenty of time for nice things...

Definitely recommend the kindle, I felt like it wouldn't be as nice as a 'real book' but it's so easy to read + take around with you, I love it

Yeah I understand. Same here. What other hobbies do you fit it in with them? :smile: I am waiting back on a job so I have more free time at the moment.

Thats what I thought, paperbacks are the best imo but not always convenient. Do you pay for books on them or are they free?
I try to read a little every night :smile:

Non-fiction takes a lot longer to read as tbh I don't enjoy it as much, where as in fiction I just got captivated by the story and I have a better flow when reading it.
Yeah I understand. Same here. What other hobbies do you fit it in with them? :smile: I am waiting back on a job so I have more free time at the moment.

Thats what I thought, paperbacks are the best imo but not always convenient. Do you pay for books on them or are they free?

Running/cycling, art and I'm learning to speak German. It's a good time to get into reading now then and once you're working more you'll be in the habit.

You do have to buy books. I have a subscription to kindle unlimited which basically works like netflix for kindle - not all books are on there but there are a lot and I'll just unsubscribe once I stop finding things to read. It's good for me though as you get up to 10 books at a time on unlimited so if I take a trip I can download a few travel guides, I keep some German books in my library to read and I can also have a few books on the go to choose from. Plus if I'm not sure on a book I can just give it a go as I pay monthly.
Most days, though it seems to me less important how much you read than the reason for your reading something and therefore what you read and the amount of effort you're willing to expend in that reading. Quantity of reading is less important than quality, i.e. the direction and purpose and work-required of that reading. I would rather read a single book in a year that demanded everything of me than one-hundred books that only aimed to lazily entertain me.
Original post by macromicro
Most days, though it seems to me less important how much you read than the reason for your reading something and therefore what you read and the amount of effort you're willing to expend in that reading. Quantity of reading is less important than quality, i.e. the direction and purpose and work-required of that reading. I would rather read a single book in a year that demanded everything of me than one-hundred books that only aimed to lazily entertain me.

That is a good point. I guess it depends on the person though. The more time you spend on a book I assume the more of an imprint it will leave.
Running/cycling, art and I'm learning to speak German. It's a good time to get into reading now then and once you're working more you'll be in the habit.

You do have to buy books. I have a subscription to kindle unlimited which basically works like netflix for kindle - not all books are on there but there are a lot and I'll just unsubscribe once I stop finding things to read. It's good for me though as you get up to 10 books at a time on unlimited so if I take a trip I can download a few travel guides, I keep some German books in my library to read and I can also have a few books on the go to choose from. Plus if I'm not sure on a book I can just give it a go as I pay monthly.

That great, I used to be an avid runner, I did get into cycling however my local forest is best to cycle through in the summer, as I had done a lot last summer. Any reason why you opted to learn German? That's true. I also enjoy art, always have considered it one of my strong points!

They sound very convenient, you can get a lot of everything on there really.
It sounds rather helpful Tbh.

I've been looking into some western books just, do you have any suggestions? It must be difficult learning Japanese? it's great though.

I get what you mean, for sure it is.
Original post by SilverWater
I try to read a little every night :smile:

Non-fiction takes a lot longer to read as tbh I don't enjoy it as much, where as in fiction I just got captivated by the story and I have a better flow when reading it.

That's great :smile:
Yeah fiction is a lot easier to read without having to think too hard.
That great, I used to be an avid runner, I did get into cycling however my local forest is best to cycle through in the summer, as I had done a lot last summer. Any reason why you opted to learn German? That's true. I also enjoy art, always have considered it one of my strong points!

They sound very convenient, you can get a lot of everything on there really.

Yeah I mostly run in winter and mostly cycle in summer.

I live in Germany so I kinda need to speak at least basic German to function here properly!
Yeah I mostly run in winter and mostly cycle in summer.

I live in Germany so I kinda need to speak at least basic German to function here properly!

Did you move to Germany or? :smile:
Reply 35
I mostly read papers and educational stuff+textbooks related to my courses, because the only fiction book I'm really excited for and waiting to read is the next book in the Stormlight Archive
I read constantly because it's what I enjoy doing more than anything else.
Did you move to Germany or? :smile:

yup, about 6 months ago, I'm teaching English
Original post by h3rmit
I mostly read papers and educational stuff+textbooks related to my courses, because the only fiction book I'm really excited for and waiting to read is the next book in the Stormlight Archive

What is that about?
Original post by Gwenog_quidditch
I read constantly because it's what I enjoy doing more than anything else.

Theres nothing wrong with that. How often is constant? xD

Latest