The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

@physicsmaths@Zacken do you guys use calculators much at Cambridge or is it kinda like once you get to a stage where you would use a calculator the problem is done'?
Original post by k.russell
@physicsmaths@Zacken do you guys use calculators much at Cambridge or is it kinda like once you get to a stage where you would use a calculator the problem is done'?

Mathmos aren't allowed calculators... we don't use them ever. I presume natscis/engineers do.
Original post by Zacken
Mathmos aren't allowed calculators... we don't use them ever. I presume natscis/engineers do.

Yeah natscis are allowed calculators and I bet engineers are as well. I can't believe you're not allowed, you'll be brilliant at mental maths after 3 years then (I'm sure you're pretty good as it is but..)
Yeah natscis are allowed calculators and I bet engineers are as well. I can't believe you're not allowed, you'll be brilliant at mental maths after 3 years then (I'm sure you're pretty good as it is but..)

No, I'm actually horrible with mental maths. We're not allowed calculators because we don't need them, the only numbers we deal with are usually small numbers. Otherwise we're dealing with algebraic or analytical objects in the abstract. Nothing you can use calculators for.
Original post by Zacken
No, I'm actually horrible with mental maths. We're not allowed calculators because we don't need them, the only numbers we deal with are usually small numbers. Otherwise we're dealing with algebraic or analytical objects in the abstract. Nothing you can use calculators for.

w.b. writing 80085? but yeah fair enough
Reply 905
Original post by Zacken

Yup they are but only a very limited range of approved calculators:
CASIO fx 991 (any version)
CASIO fx 115 (any version)
CASIO fx 570 (any version)

Oh and @Xphoenix for exams here's another use of the ID card :smile:

"You should take with you into the exam room:
your University photo ID card to identify yourself: you will be required to place this on the desk alongside your name ticket;"
Original post by jneill

your University photo ID card to identify yourself: you will be required to place this on the desk alongside your name ticket;"

I think it's the same for natscis (about the calcs you are allowed) luckily for me I resisted my teachers pressure to get a graphing calculator for free marks in A level maths and stuck with the fx 991 lol
Reply 907
I think it's the same for natscis (about the calcs you are allowed) luckily for me I resisted my teachers pressure to get a graphing calculator for free marks in A level maths and stuck with the fx 991 lol

Yes, I noticed your pic of yours. You'll need to get it stamped by the dept. My son has a FX-9860GII which yeah he can't use...
Original post by jneill

Looks like I'm just going to have to change my identity...

Next thing they're gonna drop on me which I'll find out is that they'll use the photos for matriculation or graduation or something...
Reply 909
Original post by Xphoenix
Next thing they're gonna drop on me which I'll find out is that they'll use the photos for matriculation or graduation or something...

Nah, they don't do that. But they do have it alongside your name plate outside your room.

Spoiler

Original post by Xphoenix
Looks like I'm just going to have to change my identity...

Original post by jneill
Nah, they don't do that. But they do have it alongside your name plate outside your room.

The picture does pop up on the CamCORS system which you log onto to see your reports at the end of every term.
Original post by jneill
Do you have the original certificates?

Yes, I have the certificates printed and sent by the exam boards.
Reply 912
Original post by Bunratty
Yes, I have the certificates printed and sent by the exam boards.

Great, so just copy them and ask your old school to sign them. But if that's not convenient check back with your college - they may say it's ok to get them signed by someone else (e.g. a solicitor).
My old school is in a different country from where I live now.

What would a solicitor know about my certificates?

What is the point of exam boards giving us certificates if they aren't trusted? What kind of world are we living in?

Surely Cambridge trusts their offer holders more than this.

Maybe I'll just take my certificates in person to Cambridge. 👿

Anyway aren't you supposed to bring the original certificates and all other relevant documentation to matriculation?
(edited 7 years ago)
I totally advise finding 'memebridge' on fb for an eye opening insight to cantab life...
Reply 915
My old school is in a different country from where I live now.

What would a solicitor know about my certificates?

What is the point of exam boards giving us certificates if they aren't trusted? What kind of world are we living in?

Surely Cambridge trusts their offer holders more than this.

Maybe I'll just take my certificates in person to Cambridge. 👿

No no no.

Send the originals if you want to - the risk is they get lost. All Cambridge (and many other universities do this too) is asking that the COPY is confirmed to be a fair copy of an original document. Solicitors frequently do this for other official documents - hence my suggestion for this situation.
cf. Notary Public

Or follow my original suggestion and ask your college to confirm what they want you to do.

Not everything needs to be some kind of conspiracy against you...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
No no no.

Send the originals if you want to - the risk is they get lost. All Cambridge (and many other universities do this too) is asking that the COPY is confirmed to be a fair copy of an original document. Solicitors frequently do this for other official documents - hence my suggestion for this situation.
cf. Notary Public

Or follow my original suggestion and ask your college to confirm what they want you to do.

Not everything needs to be some kind of conspiracy against you...

Why is there no trust in the world?

Why would anyone send a copy which wasn't a true copy? Obviously it would be found out when they arrive.

Why is there always more fuss and complication than necessary?
Reply 917
Why is there no trust in the world?

Why would anyone send a copy which wasn't a true copy? Obviously it would be found out when they arrive.

Why is there always more fuss and complication than necessary?

Because not everyone is honest. And other universities also ask Offer Holders to get copies signed/stamped, including Oxford.
Original post by jneill
Because not everyone is honest. And other universities also ask Offer Holders to get copies signed/stamped, including Oxford.

Why are honest people always inconvenienced because of the dishonest? Everyone is always tarred with the same brush. People nowadays, including TSR posters, distrust everyone, to the point where everyone is guilty until proved innocent. That is wrong.

Why do authorities only trust other authorities (which are often dishonest btw)?

I am by no means grumbling about Cambridge alone in this respect. I just find the constant work of having to prove the truth so tiresome!
Original post by jneill
Great, so just copy them and ask your old school to sign them. But if that's not convenient check back with your college - they may say it's ok to get them signed by someone else (e.g. a solicitor).

Why can't my present school sign the copies?

Latest

Trending

Trending