The Student Room Group

Budget issues: HELP NEEDED!

I am a prospective undergrad and I am going to be coming all the way from Bangladesh to study in London (East London to be exact, at Queen Mary).

As you can already guess, I've absolutely no clue as to how expensive everyday necessities can be here. Hence, every time I try using one of those "student calculators" I find myself in a rut because I just don't know where to start. AT. ALL.

So my question is how much does an average student with really basic needs spend per month and/or per week? Also, if you can provide me with a rough breakdown as to how much goes into food, shopping for clothes, laundry, entertainment individually, that would be even better.
TIA!!

P.S. I son't know how to cook (I am learning now tho), so it would mean the world to me if you could suggest me places where I can get cheap, healthy, tasty food
Original post by SamihaTahsin
I am a prospective undergrad and I am going to be coming all the way from Bangladesh to study in London (East London to be exact, at Queen Mary).

As you can already guess, I've absolutely no clue as to how expensive everyday necessities can be here. Hence, every time I try using one of those "student calculators" I find myself in a rut because I just don't know where to start. AT. ALL.

So my question is how much does an average student with really basic needs spend per month and/or per week? Also, if you can provide me with a rough breakdown as to how much goes into food, shopping for clothes, laundry, entertainment individually, that would be even better.
TIA!!

P.S. I son't know how to cook (I am learning now tho), so it would mean the world to me if you could suggest me places where I can get cheap, healthy, tasty food

Have you looked at the advice from QMUL on budgeting for international students: https://www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk/international/money/budgeting-cost-living-london

If you're on a Tier 4 visa then you'll need to show that you have funds of £11,385 per year for your living costs. That's more than most UK students will have from student finance.
Original post by PQ
Have you looked at the advice from QMUL on budgeting for international students: https://www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk/international/money/budgeting-cost-living-london

If you're on a Tier 4 visa then you'll need to show that you have funds of £11,385 per year for your living costs. That's more than most UK students will have from student finance.

hey thanks a bunch for sharing that link, I feel so silly for having made that post now lol. But can you just tell me one thing tho-is it possible to live in London on a budget of 8000 pounds (minus the tuition ofc)? I mean I have no issues demonstrating that I can pay 11,385 pounds a year for my living costs but I reckon I won't be needing that much in the end, right?
Original post by SamihaTahsin
hey thanks a bunch for sharing that link, I feel so silly for having made that post now lol. But can you just tell me one thing tho-is it possible to live in London on a budget of 8000 pounds (minus the tuition ofc)? I mean I have no issues demonstrating that I can pay 11,385 pounds a year for my living costs but I reckon I won't be needing that much in the end, right?

I doubt it. You're going to be looking at around a grand for month (at least) for rent...then you need food, travel costs, textbooks, ect..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending