The Student Room Group

Cancer Sciences MRes - University of Birmingham

Hi all :smile:

I could not find a thread relating to this particular course so I created a new one.

I would like to study Cancer Sciences MRes at University of Birmingham. I would like to apply for September 2017 start. I have been told that there is no official deadline for this course, meaning I could even apply in June and still get in for September start. So, my questions are:

1. Is it true that I can apply later and still get in?

2. Is there a limit to number of places on the course? (this is not specified on the course website)

3. I have a 2:1 degree in Medical Science BMedSc from this university (graduated in July 2016) and I am currently working at the university. Am I guaranteed a place as it seems like everybody who ever applies for a masters course always gets it, provided they have the degree class required (2:1 or above in this case)?

4. I heard about the funding for the masters courses: the Postgraduate Loan. Is there a deadline to apply for that as it is not very clear on the website? And is this loan given based on the household income or you can apply for a maximum amount regardless of the income?

I would really appreciate any advice and help with this. I had a different career plan but things happened and I am reconsidering to potentially convert to research and academia so am pretty new to the masters application process as I have not really looked into this in that much detail before. Thank you! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
If the applications are open all year round then yes you can still get a place but bear in mind that there will be a limit on places and they may be making offers all year round. They will probably stop accepting applications if they run out of space so no you aren't guaranteed a place. If you meet the entry requirements you have a good chance but the rest of your application is also important (personal statement, CV, refs) so don't ignore them. Student finance should be able to tell you if you're eligible to apply and what the process is if you email and ask.
Original post by alleycat393
If the applications are open all year round then yes you can still get a place but bear in mind that there will be a limit on places and they may be making offers all year round. They will probably stop accepting applications if they run out of space so no you aren't guaranteed a place. If you meet the entry requirements you have a good chance but the rest of your application is also important (personal statement, CV, refs) so don't ignore them. Student finance should be able to tell you if you're eligible to apply and what the process is if you email and ask.

Thank you very much for a quick response! I also had a thought, do I need to have much of previous lab experience? I have 6-weeks experience in a microbiology lab and 8-10 weeks in cancer research lab. Is this sufficient or is it not so important?
Lab experience is very beneficial especially if it's relevant. It shows commitment to the field and that you know your way around the lab. It isn't an entry requirement though. Most people will have come straight from undergrad so may not have much more experience than their undergrad projects.
Lab experience is very beneficial especially if it's relevant. It shows commitment to the field and that you know your way around the lab. It isn't an entry requirement though. Most people will have come straight from undergrad so may not have much more experience than their undergrad projects.

That's alright then, thank you! At least I have something to put on my application :smile:
Do you know if the personal statement should be written as though I am applying for a job? Or does it need to be a more "fancy" one, if you see what I mean? I wrote PS for medicine and for jobs and they are not quite of the same style? And is there some sort of a word/character count? I know you apply through the university website rather than UCAS so am not entirely sure how different the systems are?
(edited 7 years ago)
Each uni will have a different system of applying and word/character counts will vary. If there isn't one specified then 500-1000 words or a page will do. Email and ask for clarification though.

Start with who you are and why you want to do the course. Then a few paras on your skills experiences and interests. Then a para or two about the uni, course and dept-make sure these things are unique to show you've done your homework. Then a conclusion which wraps everything up.
Each uni will have a different system of applying and word/character counts will vary. If there isn't one specified then 500-1000 words or a page will do. Email and ask for clarification though.

Start with who you are and why you want to do the course. Then a few paras on your skills experiences and interests. Then a para or two about the uni, course and dept-make sure these things are unique to show you've done your homework. Then a conclusion which wraps everything up.

Thank you very much, that's really helpful. Will need to start to put an application together. Thanks a lot for your help again :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending