The Student Room Group

A-level Biology: How does everyone cope with the amount of content?

How does everyone cope with the amount of content for A-level Biology? I feel like there is just way too much to learn/remember! Also, how do you get your head around some of the difficult processes? :frown:
Are you in Y13? I think I have the content down, but the applying to exam questions is my downfall XD

There is a lot to remember, I'm afraid the only way is to go at your own pace and make sure you keep refreshing it in your mind to remember it. For the processes and cycles, again go slow at each stage, take your time to describe and explain each stage of the process. There are some parts of processes where it happens simultaneously but when you're going through the process, think of a mental flowchart or write it down "in order" that makes sense to you.
Original post by RedLight27
Are you in Y13? I think I have the content down, but the applying to exam questions is my downfall XD

There is a lot to remember, I'm afraid the only way is to go at your own pace and make sure you keep refreshing it in your mind to remember it. For the processes and cycles, again go slow at each stage, take your time to describe and explain each stage of the process. There are some parts of processes where it happens simultaneously but when you're going through the process, think of a mental flowchart or write it down "in order" that makes sense to you.

I'm a mature person self-teaching the A2 Biology (Edexcel) content as I learnt the AS material last year so technically I could be considered as a year 13! I just feel like I get overwhelmed with all the stuff that I have to remember that I start forgetting other things for the subject :frown: I too believe that my exam technique lets me down, how can I work on this?

What materials do you use to study?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hmm perhaps choose a topic and make a mindmap on everything in the A-level syllabus that is related to it. For example if you chose to do DNA, you would write down everything you know about the DNA structure, DNA and protein synthesis, enzymes, amino acids, transcription and translation etc. When you write something that is in A2, link it to AS.

I'm on AQA exam boards so I use their textbooks which have fast recall and application questions and past exam papers
Original post by Philip-flop
How does everyone cope with the amount of content for A-level Biology? I feel like there is just way too much to learn/remember! Also, how do you get your head around some of the difficult processes? :frown:

lol, you haven't truly experienced what a lot of content is yet, wait till uni :P but yh I understand that it can feel like there's a lot, but there really isn't if you put the time in. Start making notes now so you can revise them closer to the exam. Also, try flashcards, they work really well. As for understanding, ask a teacher, or even ask me! :biggrin:
Original post by AortaStudyMore
lol, you haven't truly experienced what a lot of content is yet, wait till uni :P but yh I understand that it can feel like there's a lot, but there really isn't if you put the time in. Start making notes now so you can revise them closer to the exam. Also, try flashcards, they work really well. As for understanding, ask a teacher, or even ask me! :biggrin:

Yeah I can't imagine how difficult university must be!! Are you studying Biology at Uni?
Can I ask when you had all your notes ready for the exams when you were doing A-level Biology?
Original post by Philip-flop
Yeah I can't imagine how difficult university must be!! Are you studying Biology at Uni?
Can I ask when you had all your notes ready for the exams when you were doing A-level Biology?

I'm studying medicine, which is quite similar to biology. I had all my notes ready by the easter holidays as far as I can remember, easter is a good time to write your notes
Original post by RedLight27

ohmylord same! Understanding the content is actually not that difficult, it is the application that pulls me down.
Original post by AortaStudyMore
I'm studying medicine, which is quite similar to biology. I had all my notes ready by the easter holidays as far as I can remember, easter is a good time to write your notes

Incredible!! Congrats on getting into Med School! Can I ask what resources you found useful when you were studying A-level Biology? Do you think it's worth getting a tutor?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending