The Student Room Group

Trump 'to sign orders restricting refugees from Muslim nations'

Scroll to see replies

There are countries that kill christians and muslims so being banned isn't too bad. It is just muslims from where there are lots of ISIS. We bomb the **** out of 100's of muslims on a regular basis killed millions so I don't think we can say America is bad for banning certain ones
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
I suspect the conservatism is a temporary reaction facilitated by exposure to Salafi educational content from Saudi Arabia.

That's only one source of it. You could ban foreign funding for mosques and educational content from Saudi Arabia, but how would you deal with the countless YouTubers and others on the Internet who peddle the same on their own initiative?
Trump is doing what makes sense for the U.S. Honestly, it's about time someone actually calls out the real problem of terrorism stemming from radical Muslims. That fact really can't be debated, however, nobody feels they can actually say that at the risk of sounding bias against Muslims. The hard reality is Muslims have brought this upon themselves, unfortunately. There isn't an easy way to figure out if someone is a "standard Muslim", or whether they will soon become a "radicalized Muslim".

I have some friends whom are Muslim, but sometimes I even get concerned that my friends could turn radical.

For the safety of the U.S., Trump is taking the necessary steps to safeguard its people.
Another fact.. Look at Hindus, very peaceful, polite, respectful people. Never problems with Hindus, always stems from Muslim beliefs. It isn't said much, but reality is many Muslims would be fine with the concept of wiping out other religions (or atheists) because their religion says it is their responsibility to do so. Many will deny this, of course and say it's untrue, but many know this to be true,
Build that wall .
Reply 145
Original post by nulli tertius
There are some very high hurdles here and Trump appears to lack the subtlety to surmount them.

With respect, you said exactly this with regard to him being able to beat Hillary Clinton in the debates and in the election
Original post by great day

For the safety of the U.S., Trump is taking the necessary steps to safeguard its people.

The necessary step is to remove US troops from the various different Muslim countries.
Original post by Muwahid-
The necessary step is to remove US troops from the various different Muslim countries.

In many cases those troops are there at the request of the local government. Are you saying that the governments of Moslem countries cannot ask for help from the west? Or that the west should be attacked if they do?
Trump at the moment is enjoying his 'honeymoon' period in which he gets to make a lot of great big (and often controversial) Executive Orders on TV in a room full of people. It's his chance to keep the limelight and make sure he is the centre of attention. Some of them for example have been symbolic, ie pulling out of TPP, which Congress had rejected already. Others like the Wall will require Congress to approve funding.

The real challenge starts when he finds himself up against Congress. Trump is a man who prides himself on not compromising but with the American system, compromising is a given. Especially as many of the Republicans dislike him, though they'll work with him on some things. The building of the wall for example is something I can see just being delayed for a long time as right wing Republicans are not going to want to spend billions upon billions on a wall which many of them don't agree with in the first place.

Trump is a man used to getting his own way, all the time. No one has ever said no to him. The test will be how he deals with people telling him he can't do certain things.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
In many cases those troops are there at the request of the local government. Are you saying that the governments of Moslem countries cannot ask for help from the west? Or that the west should be attacked if they do?

I'm saying that the US needs to think long and hard about why the Muslim world dislikes them and what they can do to solve the problem.

I'm also not calling for anyone to be attacked.
I'm saying that the US needs to think long and hard about why the Muslim world dislikes them and what they can do to solve the problem.

I'm also not calling for anyone to be attacked.

And you say we're lumping all Muslims into one phrase...
I'm saying that the US needs to think long and hard about why the Muslim world dislikes them

Do you think the Moslem world dislikes the USA because of its presence in Saudi Arabia and Turkey? Do these countries not have a right to ask the USA to help protect them? Or do you think Moslems in other countries have a right of veto any such requests?

This point is beating a dead horse. The US has massively scaled back troop numbers under Obama across a broad range of countries in the Middle East alone. And you realise the current war against ISIS isn't just the US, right? There's 60 countries. You think removing all and any US military personnel from Muslim majority countries is actually going to materially change anything? Give me a break.

On a broader point, pulling back overall from the region would worsen the badly needed leadership in the Middle East. You can bet that if America pulls out, any Shia/Sunni sectarian regional power is going to make long term peace all the more difficult.
This is certainly true. The sooner we ban the financing of religious institutions from abroad the better.

Saudi Arabia should've been top of that list.

Amen to that
Muwahid, U.S. actions won't have much influence on Muslims hatred toward the U.S. Muslims inherently hate the U.S. for its Christian based beliefs, for Hollywood and its movies, for it's power and influence on the world, and also due to the fact it's not s Muslim majority nation. What you should consider is it doesn't matter if the U.S. thinks long and hard about these things, it won't change the Muslims deep rooted feelings and beliefs. Look at Israel, do you feel there is anything Israel could do to be loved by Muslims, short of mandating Islam as the new religion for Israel? The cold, hard reality is Muslims, given the opportunity, want to "win", and that is scary for the world. The U.S. will save itself from future terrorism and grief if it limits Muslims in its country. This may be unnerving to hear, but deep down we know it to be true.
Original post by Palmyra
Why are Afghanistan, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia not included in Trump's list of "Muslim countries"?

And India.
Original post by ThatOldGuy
There is a difference between not opening up your country to any immigration and opening the doors wide. Germany let in millions of people with no plan on how to integrate and no idea of how bad things could get. It was made worse by the media trying to cover it up.

What those people did was terrible and there -should- have been a public outcry about it. And the police -should- have reacted much more strongly than they did.

But I don't think this is the answer.

But nothing bad will happen with a complete ban, whereas bad things do happen with doors even remotely open.
Original post by sayan98
And India.

Well, India isn't a "Muslim country" so to speak, so that exclusion at least makes sense (even if India has a large Muslim population).
Do you think the Moslem world dislikes the USA because of its presence in Saudi Arabia and Turkey? Do these countries not have a right to ask the USA to help protect them? Or do you think Moslems in other countries have a right of veto any such requests?

I think there are several reasons as to why the Muslim world dislikes the US. Some from the Muslim world might dislike US presence in Saudi Arabia but I think the primary reason is the policies of the US in Muslim lands. Indiscriminately droning Muslims isn't going to get you the support of Muslims anytime soon.

Original post by SolomonP
This point is beating a dead horse. The US has massively scaled back troop numbers under Obama across a broad range of countries in the Middle East alone. And you realise the current war against ISIS isn't just the US, right? There's 60 countries. You think removing all and any US military personnel from Muslim majority countries is actually going to materially change anything? Give me a break.

On a broader point, pulling back overall from the region would worsen the badly needed leadership in the Middle East. You can bet that if America pulls out, any Shia/Sunni sectarian regional power is going to make long term peace all the more difficult.

I didn't mention anything concerning ISIS. On the topic of ISIS though, was it not the Americans who invaded Iraq and handed it over to the Shia? Was it not Shia atrocities which caused the rise of ISIS? ISIS didn't just magically appear from nowhere. They are a product of the US completely dismantling Saddam's army and Shia oppression of Sunnis in the region.
Original post by Palmyra
Well, India isn't a "Muslim country" so to speak, so that exclusion at least makes sense (even if India has a large Muslim population).

Are you implying only Muslims are terrorists?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending