The Student Room Group

Casual homophobia

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by JackG9
I think to an extent people need to understand people are using them sort of phrases not to insult but to just call something bad. I'll admit i've made gay jokes and described stuff in that manner but i don't mean. I think it's pathetic how a minority of gays are still complaining especially in the UK, there are gays getting thrown off buildings in muslim countries and mob hunt for gays and gang attacks on gay in eastern countries and you're here complaining about someone using a phrase not literally saying stuff like "fag". It's pathetic, realise you have equal rights and stop taking everything literally. Pathetic.

So because things are worse somewhere else in the world we're not allowed to complain? The problem is homophobia, it's a universal issue. Stop acting like the problem is the LGBT community 'whining' when we're only reacting to intolerance and stupid homophobic slurs and insults.
Reply 41
Oh he they used a naughty word oh oh no gonna go kill myself. C'mon everyone gets called things they don't like ... not just gays. I've been called all sorts for a whole host of reasons. If you're going to take every word literally then everyone is going to be offended by something. I'm not homophobic and i still call people names that descend from homophobic slurs. Language changes with time and most words have different meanings and they're not literal meanings nowadays. search the definition of F4gg0t on urban dictionary; i'd link it but it gets censored. www.Urbandictionary.com
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JackG9
I think to an extent people need to understand people are using them sort of phrases not to insult but to just call something bad. I'll admit i've made gay jokes and described stuff in that manner but i don't mean. I think it's pathetic how a minority of gays are still complaining especially in the UK, there are gays getting thrown off buildings in muslim countries and mob hunt for gays and gang attacks on gay in eastern countries and you're here complaining about someone using a phrase not literally saying stuff like "fag". It's pathetic, realise you have equal rights and stop taking everything literally. Pathetic.

One leads to the other.You would not get gays being thrown off roofs if there was not widespread homophobic sentiment.These things don't just happen.Homophobic beliefs lead to homophobic words which lead to homophobic actions.Words are not harmless despite what the old saying says.
I don't think gay people are treated as equally as you think.In the USA we have a vice president who advocates conversion therapy,in Australia in some states "gay panic" is literally a defense for murder. The Catholic church teaches that gay people are "intrinsically disordered" and a lot of people still feel the same way.
Reply 43
Original post by Robby2312
One leads to the other.You would not get gays being thrown off roofs if there was not widespread homophobic sentiment.These things don't just happen.Homophobic beliefs lead to homophobic words which lead to homophobic actions.Words are not harmless despite what the old saying says.
I don't think gay people are treated as equally as you think.In the USA we have a vice president who advocates conversion therapy,in Australia in some states "gay panic" is literally a defense for murder. The Catholic church teaches that gay people are "intrinsically disordered" and a lot of people still feel the same way.

For one I've been brought up catholic and I've never seen and discrimination towards gays. There are plenty of open gays in my catholic school and they get no discrimination at all. Another thing is that the Trump administration has repeatedly said they have no problem with gays and there's no place for homophobia stating that 'We are all Americans no matter sexual orientation , race and religion' Get REKT. And funnily enough i don't think a few uses of a few words without literal intention is going to lead to widespread homophobia, you're just playing the victim to get attention.
Original post by JackG9
For one I've been brought up catholic and I've never seen and discrimination towards gays. There are plenty of open gays in my catholic school and they get no discrimination at all. Another thing is that the Trump administration has repeatedly said they have no problem with gays and there's no place for homophobia stating that 'We are all Americans no matter sexual orientation , race and religion' Get REKT. And funnily enough i don't think a few uses of a few words without literal intention is going to lead to widespread homophobia, you're just playing the victim to get attention.

When the Catholic church's official teaching is that gays are wrong and disordered it's hardly a welcoming environment is it? Trump would say that but his actions speak louder than words.He hired mike pence who believes gays can be cured.He also had a pastor at his inauguration who has notoriously anti-gay views and has called them miserable and filthy.He is the president of the united states.He could hire any priest at his inauguration but he chooses one with anti-gay views.That sends clear messages.It's not an accident who he hires to serve in his goverment.Combined with the fact that he is a republican it suggests he is not exactly tolerant and believes similar things.
Reply 45
When the Catholic church's official teaching is that gays are wrong and disordered it's hardly a welcoming environment is it? Trump would say that but his actions speak louder than words.He hired mike pence who believes gays can be cured.He also had a pastor at his inauguration who has notoriously anti-gay views and has called them miserable and filthy.He is the president of the united states.He could hire any priest at his inauguration but he chooses one with anti-gay views.That sends clear messages.It's not an accident who he hires to serve in his goverment.Combined with the fact that he is a republican it suggests he is not exactly tolerant and believes similar things.

there is no reasoning with you is there? hahahaha the fact that you just accused all republicans of being homophobic ahahaha lmao
Original post by JackG9
there is no reasoning with you is there? hahahaha the fact that you just accused all republicans of being homophobic ahahaha lmao

Not all.But as a general rule if a US politician is homophobic then he often turns out to be both a republican and a Christian.
Reply 47
Not all.But as a general rule if a US politician is homophobic then he often turns out to be both a republican and a Christian.

but you're generalising...
Reply 48
Original post by JackG9
Oh he they used a naughty word oh oh no gonna go kill myself. C'mon everyone gets called things they don't like ... not just gays. I've been called all sorts for a whole host of reasons. If you're going to take every word literally then everyone is going to be offended by something. I'm not homophobic and i still call people names that descend from homophobic slurs. Language changes with time and most words have different meanings and they're not literal meanings nowadays. search the definition of F4gg0t on urban dictionary; i'd link it but it gets censored. www.Urbandictionary.com

But words like ****/idiot/****/******/knob etc are all random and generic insults that anyone can use and anyone can be called because they don't mean anything. They're just your standard insults. Of course everyone in society is going to be called names like these because these names were basically invented as insults.

Have you ever been called "straight" as an insult? Could you imagine your reaction if a kid said to another kid in the playground "oh you're so straight"? It would be the most random and awkward thing ever, yet somehow it's acceptable to throw the word gay around as if it's a way of humiliating someone.

It's this stupid culture where young guys are so insecure and nervous to be seen as anything other than a "proper lad" that if they even do the slightest feminine thing, they have to cover it up by calling other people "gay" or a "******" to divert attention from them. Guys can't even compliment their friends or say "nice haircut" or "yeah you look fine" without having to quickly add on "NO HOMO!!!". There's the stupid culture on social media where guys are tagging eachother on memes of gay couples kissing and making jokes and even when it was suggested that footballers were rainbow laces to support the Orlando nightclub shooting last year, instead of everyone being like "yeah that's a good idea", there were people STILL commenting saying "Why do we need to pander to gays? People get shot all the time!" and rubbish like that.

There's just this weird thing about some people where they just CAN'T turn their other cheek and actually support it (not asking them to attend pride events or start marching for us), they still need to find a reason to be against it.
Reply 49
Original post by Shadow2009
But words like ****/idiot/****/******/knob etc are all random and generic insults that anyone can use and anyone can be called because they don't mean anything. They're just your standard insults. Of course everyone in society is going to be called names like these because these names were basically invented as insults.

Have you ever been called "straight" as an insult? Could you imagine your reaction if a kid said to another kid in the playground "oh you're so straight"? It would be the most random and awkward thing ever, yet somehow it's acceptable to throw the word gay around as if it's a way of humiliating someone.

It's this stupid culture where young guys are so insecure and nervous to be seen as anything other than a "proper lad" that if they even do the slightest feminine thing, they have to cover it up by calling other people "gay" or a "******" to divert attention from them. Guys can't even compliment their friends or say "nice haircut" or "yeah you look fine" without having to quickly add on "NO HOMO!!!". There's the stupid culture on social media where guys are tagging eachother on memes of gay couples kissing and making jokes and even when it was suggested that footballers were rainbow laces to support the Orlando nightclub shooting last year, instead of everyone being like "yeah that's a good idea", there were people STILL commenting saying "Why do we need to pander to gays? People get shot all the time!" and rubbish like that.

There's just this weird thing about some people where they just CAN'T turn their other cheek and actually support it (not asking them to attend pride events or start marching for us), they still need to find a reason to be against it.

Maybe I'm weird but I've complimented my mates plenty of times without the need of 'no homo' I honestly think you're just taking it horribly out of proportion because most people who say them things are not homophobic. I understand that you lot take everything literal and at the end of the day a few words isn't going to do some harm ffs you get gays who openly call themselves ******s. It's humor and it's humane to joke around. One of my favorite speakers Milo Yianopolous literally called his tour 'the dangerous ******' and he makes plenty of jokes about gays, straight. ATM people like you want to censor humor and people like you need to ****ing deal with words... they're not going to hurt you... they are just words. Pathetic.

Do you support the legalisation of recreational drugs?
Original post by AperfectBalance
If you are gay just act normal and be gay, people that are flamboyant and push their sexuality constantly are very annoying.

If you want society to accept you more stop all these gay pride parades, I do not want to see tons of men and women half naked with crossdressers waltzing around it really gives them a bad image as being wacky and out there. Anyone that lets their sexuality define them is normally annoying just keep it to yourself for the most part, 99% of people will accept you if you just act normal and happen to also be gay.

You do understand that just like straight people gays can be annoying too?

I do agree with you in principle and my first post in here will show that, but sometimes caution does need to be taken with the whole camp issue, since some men genuinely just are feminine in nature and aren't putting on the act. I think at gay pride soooo may people do put on that act, but in everyday life if someone acts camp I wouldn't immediately jump to claim that they're trying to define themselves by they're sexuality - they're probably just normally feminine. So caution needs to be exercised before criticising people for how they actually are lmao.

Original post by AMGJ98
It's not about being thinskinned, the majority of terms don't offend me, and are easy to brush off, but if in certain cases if I feel offended, you have no input into whether my offence is justified or not.

And yeah, I'm not out here speaking for communities I'm not part of lmao, that's different to standing with them.

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
Reply 52
Original post by JackG9
Maybe I'm weird but I've complimented my mates plenty of times without the need of 'no homo' I honestly think you're just taking it horribly out of proportion because most people who say them things are not homophobic. I understand that you lot take everything literal and at the end of the day a few words isn't going to do some harm ffs you get gays who openly call themselves ******s. It's humor and it's humane to joke around. One of my favorite speakers Milo Yianopolous literally called his tour 'the dangerous ******' and he makes plenty of jokes about gays, straight. ATM people like you want to censor humor and people like you need to ****ing deal with words... they're not going to hurt you... they are just words. Pathetic.

Classic passive aggressive "I'm not a homophobe" response.

"It was just a joke" - tick
"You lot" - tick
"Someone I know/like is of a certain minority and that one particular person is okay with it" - tick
"They're just words" - tick

All we're missing is a "My best friend is gay so I'm not a homophobe" and it would have been the ultimate cliche.

Clearly you aren't understanding the issue or what I'm trying to say so I'll just leave it for now. :smile:
Original post by Inexorably
I do agree with you in principle and my first post in here will show that, but sometimes caution does need to be taken with the whole camp issue, since some men genuinely just are feminine in nature and aren't putting on the act. I think at gay pride soooo may people do put on that act, but in everyday life if someone acts camp I wouldn't immediately jump to claim that they're trying to define themselves by they're sexuality - they're probably just normally feminine. So caution needs to be exercised before criticising people for how they actually are lmao.

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."

But I dont like peope that are camp
Original post by AperfectBalance
But I dont like peope that are camp

There's nowt wrong with that and I don't either, but that's not my point. My point is not to just assume that in everyday life all camp are trying to define themselves by their sexuality and instead might just be that way naturally.
How can you not agree with a noun?

Homophobia is a noun. It exists. I presume you don't disagree with it then?
Original post by Arima
"im not homophobic but i dont want my children to be gay"

If my child is gay then I will deal with it, but it's not something I would wish for. How is that homophobic?
By saying that you don't want your children to be disabled, does that mean you discriminate against disabled people? No. You just want your child to have the best in life and you know that they are more likely to be penalised and victimised if they're a minority.
Reply 57
Original post by tazarooni89
Homophobia is a noun. It exists. I presume you don't disagree with it then?

Homophobia is a behaviour, not a sexuality.
Homophobia is a behaviour, not a sexuality.

"Behaviour" is also a noun. How can you disagree with a noun?
Reply 59
Original post by tazarooni89
"Behaviour" is also a noun. How can you disagree with a noun?

Is this honestly the best argument you have because I'm sort of cringing at this.

Homophobic behaviours can be changed. Homosexuality cannot.

Do you understand it now??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending