The Student Room Group

IKEAPanda37's Surviving A-levels (and other stuff) Adventure :)

Bonjour people and welcome to my Surviving A-levels (and other stuff) Adventure :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

You may have seen my 30 day mindfulness blog which I really enjoyed writing because it allowed me to open up to other people about my life. In fact I enjoyed it so much I decided to make a new blog which people may or may not be interested in, so people can find about my crazy life :h:

So who are you?
First, let me introduce myself. My name is IKEAPanda37 and if you haven't guessed already, I'm a tiny bit obsessed with IKEA and I also like pandas too:biggrin:

What year are you in?
I'm in Year 13 which means I'm taking on the dreaded A-levels. I'm currently taking French, Geography and Travel and Tourism

How did AS go?
Not great tbh. I got BCDD and dropped Economics (which I didnt want to take in the first place until I was told to take a 4th subject)

How is A2 going?
Not amazingly well but I'm trying to stay positive

What about uni?
I applied for French, Beginners Spanish and Translation (and Interpreting) at Cardiff, Swansea, Leicester, UEA and Newcastle. Got all (conditional :frown:) offers back in November. Visiting them again in February before replying

What about other stuff?
- I've been playing the guitar for about 10 years :thumbsup: and I'm currently practicing for my Grade 6 exam in July
- I started learning Welsh last year which I hope to get back into

What will I talk about in this blog?
- A-levels
- Stuff going on at home
- Positive things that happen each day
- Negative things (just to get them off my chest)
- Things I'm looking forward to
- I'll finish each post with a song from my awesome music taste :music:

Just tagging a few people who may be interested :thumbsup: If you are interested, tell me and I'll tag every day:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IKEAPanda37
Bonjour people and welcome to my Surviving A-levels (and other stuff) Adventure :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

You may have seen my 30 day mindfulness blog which I really enjoyed writing because it allowed me to open up to other people about my life. In fact I enjoyed it so much I decided to make a new blog which people may or may not be interested in, so people can find about my crazy life :h:

So who are you?
First, let me introduce myself. My name is IKEAPanda37 and if you haven't guessed already, I'm a tiny bit obsessed with IKEA and I also like pandas too:biggrin:

What year are you in?
I'm in Year 13 which means I'm taking on the dreaded A-levels. I'm currently taking French, Geography and Travel and Tourism

How did AS go?
Not great tbh. I got BCDD and dropped Economics (which I didnt want to take in the first place until I was told to take a 4th subject)

How is A2 going?
Not amazingly well but I'm trying to stay positive

What about uni?
I applied for French, Beginners Spanish and Translation (and Interpreting) at Cardiff, Swansea, Leicester, UEA and Newcastle. Got all (conditional :frown:) offers back in November. Visiting them again in February before replying

What about other stuff?
- I've been playing the guitar for about 10 years :thumbsup: and I'm currently practicing for my Grade 6 exam in July
- I started learning Welsh last year which I hope to get back into

What will I talk about in this blog?
- A-levels
- Stuff going on at home
- Positive things that happen each day
- Negative things (just to get them off my chest)
- Things I'm looking forward to
- I'll finish each post with a song from my awesome music taste :music:

Just tagging a few people who may be interested :thumbsup: If you are interested, tell me and I'll tag every day:smile:

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jumphug: :grouphugs: :hugs: :penguinhug:
You can do this :rave: :smile: So glad you are making this, I hope it helps you!
Subbed, can't wait :ahee: :party: :woo: :rave:
Subbing! You can do this :woo:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jumphug: :grouphugs: :hugs: :penguinhug:
You can do this :rave: :smile: So glad you are making this, I hope it helps you!
Subbed, can't wait :ahee: :party: :woo: :rave:

Awww thank you :hugs: :cube: :hugs: Yeah I hope it helps too :thumbsup:
First post tonight, it will be about both today and yesterday (French mock exam), I kinda fell asleep when posting:redface:
Hope you like it:h:
Original post by furryface12
Subbing! You can do this :woo:

Thank you :h: Hope you enjoy:smile:
Awww thank you :hugs: :cube: :hugs: Yeah I hope it helps too :thumbsup:
First post tonight, it will be about both today and yesterday (French mock exam), I kinda fell asleep when posting:redface:
Hope you like it:h:

No problem :hugs: Keep up the good stuff! :cube:
Ooh, I hope it went ok :hugs: aww :console: Early night tonight :wink:
I love it :biggrin:
Reply 6
Good luck IP37! Here's to good grades, IKEA, pandas and hardstyle :awesome:
Original post by UWS
Good luck IP37! Here's to good grades, IKEA, pandas and hardstyle :awesome:

Haha thank you :thumbsup: OMG yes, there will be plenty of that (well, maybe not good grades:tongue:):h::biggrin:
Subscribing :ninja: Will try and keep up with this as best as I can, to see how you're getting on :biggrin:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Subscribing :ninja: Will try and keep up with this as best as I can, to see how you're getting on :biggrin:

Oh dont worry, I won't be able to keep up either:tongue:
Hope you enjoy it :thumbsup:
Blog Post #1 (25th and 26th January)
So, my first post will cover both today and yesterday, I was meant to start it yesterday but I fell asleep whilst writing the first post:colondollar: But I'm here now :thumbsup:

Before I start, I just wanna clarify something:smile: Basically, I attend 2 schools, my actual school where I study Geography and Travel and Tourism, and another one where I now study French. My AS French teacher's wife teaches there so he arranged for me to study there so that I would get more support as there are other students doing it (I would be the only at my school) So that clears that up:biggrin:

25th

:france: French :france:

So I had my A2 French mock exam yesterday morning:eek::eek2::eek3::eek4:

It was weird because it was the first time I had ever taken an exam at another school:redface:

Overall, I didn't smash it, but I think I still did ok:h: Tbf, it was a difficult paper (harder than the practice one I did :frown:) - Reading = Slightly more difficult than I hoped, there was a sneaky synonym question, but I got there in the end :thumbsup: - Translation = Translation = French to English was absolutely horrendous, there were several words that I didnt know and there were some really dodgy phrases that I had no idea how to translate. Tbh, we haven't covered poverty yet. English to French went much better:smile: - Writing = Im not sure tbh, I answered the question about whether the director I studied used real scenarios to make something extraordinary. I think I had some good ideas but when reading it back it didnt seem right. Whether I answered the question correctly I dont know, but I'm happy with it anyway:h: - Listening = At first, I was struggling but the more I listened the more I understood so went fine :thumbsup:

Other stuff

Because I dont have any French this week, I had the rest of the day off:woo::woo::woo:

Completely caught up with Pobol y Cwm :thumbsup:

Went to my guitar lesson, we continued with my Spanish book. Will look at Grade 6 pieces again after half term

Me and my dad had to pick my mum up from work and go to the farm to sort out the pony

26th

:hide: Geography :hide:

We finally got biscuits :woo: :yum: They finally brought some in :rolleyes:

We were continuing our work on the decline and regeneration of the London Docklands

We were drawing pictures of the causes, impacts and responses etc. of the case study to make a story map, which basically proved that I'm not the best drawer:tongue:

Started having a go at an exam question on causes of urban decline

Teacher didnt make comments about contributing to discussions, probably because I had to present stuff :rolleyes:

Other stuff

Again, went home early because of no French lesson. Did actually have Travel and Tourism last but stayed at home and continued with my event management coursework there.

Watched an episode of Pobol y Cwm

Watched daytime TV (got to love Bargain Hunt:tongue:)

Ate a Twix and currently drinking Lucozade whilst chilling to music. Loving life:biggrin:

Stuff to look forward to

Going to a friend's birthday meal tomorrow:h:

The UK decides their Eurovision entry tomorrow, which clashes with my friend's birthday meal:dots:(haha no its fine:tongue:) From our national final, theres only 1 song I would like to win, but obviously because songs I like never do well, it wont win so I'm not too worried about watching it:redface:

Still have my applicant visit days in February, Cardiff is next Friday:h:

Because I appreciate you guys, I'm gonna give you 2 songs (to make up for yesterday:colondollar:)

First here's some deep house (because everyone loves those deep beats innit:rofl:)
[video="youtube;JpwMC9w5Tc4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpwMC9w5Tc4[/video]
Apparently, you can only include 1 video per post:colondollar:

Anyway, here's some hardstyle for the one and only @UWS (hope you like it) :h:
[video="youtube;vTqGdcK8xGg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTqGdcK8xGg[/video]
Blog Post #1 (25th and 26th January)
So, my first post will cover both today and yesterday, I was meant to start it yesterday but I fell asleep whilst writing the first post:colondollar: But I'm here now :thumbsup:

Before I start, I just wanna clarify something:smile: Basically, I attend 2 schools, my actual school where I study Geography and Travel and Tourism, and another one where I now study French. My AS French teacher's wife teaches there so he arranged for me to study there so that I would get more support as there are other students doing it (I would be the only at my school) So that clears that up:biggrin:

25th

:france: French :france:

So I had my A2 French mock exam yesterday morning:eek::eek2::eek3::eek4:

It was weird because it was the first time I had ever taken an exam at another school:redface:

Overall, I didn't smash it, but I think I still did ok:h: Tbf, it was a difficult paper (harder than the practice one I did :frown:) - Reading = Slightly more difficult than I hoped, there was a sneaky synonym question, but I got there in the end :thumbsup: - Translation = Translation = French to English was absolutely horrendous, there were several words that I didnt know and there were some really dodgy phrases that I had no idea how to translate. Tbh, we haven't covered poverty yet. English to French went much better:smile: - Writing = Im not sure tbh, I answered the question about whether the director I studied used real scenarios to make something extraordinary. I think I had some good ideas but when reading it back it didnt seem right. Whether I answered the question correctly I dont know, but I'm happy with it anyway:h: - Listening = At first, I was struggling but the more I listened the more I understood so went fine :thumbsup:

Other stuff

Because I dont have any French this week, I had the rest of the day off:woo::woo::woo:

Completely caught up with Pobol y Cwm :thumbsup:

Went to my guitar lesson, we continued with my Spanish book. Will look at Grade 6 pieces again after half term

Me and my dad had to pick my mum up from work and go to the farm to sort out the pony

26th

:hide: Geography :hide:

We finally got biscuits :woo: :yum: They finally brought some in :rolleyes:

We were continuing our work on the decline and regeneration of the London Docklands

We were drawing pictures of the causes, impacts and responses etc. of the case study to make a story map, which basically proved that I'm not the best drawer:tongue:

Started having a go at an exam question on causes of urban decline

Teacher didnt make comments about contributing to discussions, probably because I had to present stuff :rolleyes:

Other stuff

Again, went home early because of no French lesson. Did actually have Travel and Tourism last but stayed at home and continued with my event management coursework there.

Watched an episode of Pobol y Cwm

Watched daytime TV (got to love Bargain Hunt:tongue:)

Ate a Twix and currently drinking Lucozade whilst chilling to music. Loving life:biggrin:

Stuff to look forward to

Going to a friend's birthday meal tomorrow:h:

The UK decides their Eurovision entry tomorrow, which clashes with my friend's birthday meal:dots:(haha no its fine:tongue:) From our national final, theres only 1 song I would like to win, but obviously because songs I like never do well, it wont win so I'm not too worried about watching it:redface:

Still have my applicant visit days in February, Cardiff is next Friday:h:

Because I appreciate you guys, I'm gonna give you 2 songs (to make up for yesterday:colondollar:)

First here's some deep house (because everyone loves those deep beats innit:rofl:)
[video="youtube;JpwMC9w5Tc4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpwMC9w5Tc4[/video]

Congrats :hugs: Told you it wouldn't be too bad :cube: You don't give yourself enough credit! :penguinhug: :france:
Up for pinta soon? :mmm:
Love this! :ahee:
Well this is a refreshing change from the other study blogs ...
I was wondering what are you doing in travel and tourism
I actually haven't heard of it as an a level before
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Congrats :hugs: Told you it wouldn't be too bad :cube: You don't give yourself enough credit! :penguinhug: :france:
Up for pinta soon? :mmm:
Love this! :ahee:

Aww thank you :hugs: Haha thats what everyone says, I guess I'm too hard on myself:redface: I just need French to go well or I have no chance..... But yeah I'm trying to stay positive:h:

Oh yeah totally :thumbsup:
:biggrin:
Original post by Inspiringvisons
Well this is a refreshing change from the other study blogs ...
I was wondering what are you doing in travel and tourism
I actually haven't heard of it as an a level before

Is it really? Well I'm glad you think that:smile:

Yeah, its not really that common tbh, not many places do it and unfortunately the whole a level is being scrapped :frown:

Its mostly coursework (2 coursework pieces + 1 exam) and its basically learning about different types of tourism and stuff like that, there are different units you can do

At AS, we did coursework on Travel Destinations, where we had to compare 2 tourist destinations (I compared Chester in the UK to Mauritius) as well as Customer Service

At A2, we are doing Guided Tour, where we plan and carry out a guided tour and Event Management in which we plan an event (although for this, we're just doing the tour)

Hope that explains it:h:
Wooo I'm glad you found your French mock okay! :h:. Whatever the result ends up being, it will still have been good experience for the real thing!
Not going to lie, I envy you so much for doing A-level French because my sixth form don't offer it :tongue:. You know how there's that one person in each year group who is obsessed with horses? And how there's also that one person who is obsessed with French? I was the person who was obsessed with French... and then I couldn't continue it for A-level... I cry :cry:.

Also, what is Pobol y cwm about? It sounds interesting!
Original post by LeCroissant
Wooo I'm glad you found your French mock okay! :h:. Whatever the result ends up being, it will still have been good experience for the real thing!
Not going to lie, I envy you so much for doing A-level French because my sixth form don't offer it :tongue:. You know how there's that one person in each year group who is obsessed with horses? And how there's also that one person who is obsessed with French? I was the person who was obsessed with French... and then I couldn't continue it for A-level... I cry :cry:.

Also, what is Pobol y cwm about? It sounds interesting!

Thank you :smile: Yeah, thats true:h:

Really? That's really sad :frown: Idk what I would have done if my 6th Form didnt offer languages for A-level because they were the only thing I wanted to do:tongue: I would have to move although obviously I've had to study it elsewhere anywhere:biggrin:
Yeah, just like me :five: I'm literally obsessed with French and basically anything to do with languages:colondollar: Weirdly enough, used to have someone in our year who was obsessed with horses, after year 11 she moved away to study at an equine college:tongue:

And its a Welsh (:wink:) soap set in a village, where loads of stuff happens. A bit like other soaps except less deaths :thumbsup: and much better:u:
Thank you :smile: Yeah, thats true:h:

Really? That's really sad :frown: Idk what I would have done if my 6th Form didnt offer languages for A-level because they were the only thing I wanted to do:tongue: I would have to move although obviously I've had to study it elsewhere anywhere:biggrin:
Yeah, just like me :five: I'm literally obsessed with French and basically anything to do with languages:colondollar: Weirdly enough, used to have someone in our year who was obsessed with horses, after year 11 she moved away to study at an equine college:tongue:

And its a Welsh (:wink:) soap set in a village, where loads of stuff happens. A bit like other soaps except less deaths :thumbsup: and much better:u:

Looking back, I wish I would have just gone to a different college so that I could still do French haha :laugh:.
I guess we can be French twins then :h:.

Aaaah I guessed it was Welsh haha. It does sound quite interesting! Although I probably wouldn't understand much because my Welsh isn't great... I only know a few random words like coffi, draig, afal, patte(?) :tongue:
Original post by LeCroissant
Looking back, I wish I would have just gone to a different college so that I could still do French haha :laugh:.
I guess we can be French twins then :h:.

Aaaah I guessed it was Welsh haha. It does sound quite interesting! Although I probably wouldn't understand much because my Welsh isn't great... I only know a few random words like coffi, draig, afal, patte(?) :tongue:

Haha :tongue:
OMG totally :five: Bien sur :thumbsup:

Lol dont worry, I don understand most of it either, I need subtitles :rofl: although I'm picking up quite a few phrases. Same, I only know "coffi" from those 4:redface:, "ysgol" "pentre" "prifysgol Abertawe":wink: "gwasanaethau" and so on:h:

Quick Reply

Latest