The Student Room Group

Are unconditional offers actually unconditional?

I have been searching for a definitive definition of what an 'unconditional offer' is and haven't found one.

Please can I have some definitive answers to these questions and no advice as to not dropping out? I have read all that, and I have read that you must notify UCAS i you change the terms under which the offer was made. I want to know:

1/Do I still have to matriculate to x university? If I fail does this mean that the 'unconditional offer' can be revoked because of this condition?

2/I am doing BTEC so, how will this affect the above if at all?

I think the term is very misleading, and ought to be changed to 'less conditions' if indeed it is not actually unconditional.]

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ticktactical
I have been searching for a definitive definition of what an 'unconditional offer' is and haven't found one.

Please can I have some definitive answers to these questions and no advice as to not dropping out? I have read all that, and I have read that you must notify UCAS i you change the terms under which the offer was made. I want to know:

1/Do I still have to matriculate to x university? If I fail does this mean that the 'unconditional offer' can be revoked because of this condition?

I think the term is very misleading, and ought to be changed to 'less conditions' if indeed it is not actually unconditional.]

Thanks.

It means you dont have to get certain grades to get in. The university has to let you in even if you fail (which im sure you wont :wink:)
Original post by The Sikh Surgeon
It means you dont have to get certain grades to get in. The university has to let you in even if you fail (which im sure you wont :wink:)

I hope this is true as I worked out that it would be impossible for me to pass and get less than the minimum requirements anyway, which would make it no better than a conditional to me lol.
Personally for me, the offer is only unconditional (guaranteed no matter what grades I get) if I place it as my firm choice. The offer will become conditional if it is placed as my insurance - which I'm annoyed about. I think universities or UCAS need to highlight that a bit more. It's unconditional with conditions.
Original post by Stooggy
Personally for me, the offer is only unconditional (guaranteed no matter what grades I get) if I place it as my firm choice. The offer will become conditional if it is placed as my insurance - which I'm annoyed about. I think universities or UCAS need to highlight that a bit more. It's unconditional with conditions.

At least they do not seem to try to hide this fact. They explicitly explain that this is a condition. What I am confused about though is that there is no mention of things like passing in the letter which I got, although there are people on threads suggesting that this is the case.

I intend to only firm this 'unconditional offer' if I know come May that I am likely not to get the requirements for where I want to go (I do btec). So I am using it as a sort of insurance in that sense but I need to know that failing will not make the offer void.
(edited 7 years ago)
Just for piece of mind, hypothetically could the offer being revoked if you completely dropped out?
Reply 6
Just for piece of mind, hypothetically could the offer being revoked if you completely dropped out?

Yes. You need to at least sit the exams, otherwise you are changing the terms of your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Yes. You need to at least sit the exams, otherwise you are changing the terms of your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are no exams, its BTEC.

Thanks.

All you have to do is pass your course to get in. If you're unsure you should check with the uni what grade or how many UCAS points you need.
There are no exams, its BTEC.

Then you need to complete the course.

Your application stated you would complete those qualifications. The offer was made on the assumption that your application is accurate. You change what you're offering and the university can change their side too
Reply 10
How can a university accept a student that doesn't have necessary qualifications? Your degree will rely on your previously knowledge, if you can't pass college exam how do you want to obtain a higher education degree?
Original post by PQ
Then you need to complete the course.

Your application stated you would complete those qualifications. The offer was made on the assumption that your application is accurate. You change what you're offering and the university can change their side too

What if I fail a unit? Would I still have to complete the other units?
Reply 12

You need to complete the course.

You could, if you chose, submit all your assessed work as a picture of a monkey and deliberately fail. Or you could try your hardest and still fail. But you need to actually finish the course and receive a grade, even if that grade is "fail". Dropping out would leave you with no grade and so wouldn't count.
It means that you have already fulfilled all of their criteria for accepting you, i.e you could drop out of school now and they'd still let you in.

That is what unconditional means - there are no conditions to their offer.

Most people have conditional offers, e.g. we will let you in on the condition that you get XYZ grades in your A levels / BTEC etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
i received an unconditional offer from a uni but they've said its only unconditional if i put it as my firm. in the footnotes of the email it also states i have to get an A in a certain subject, so its not really unconditional at all.
Original post by Juno
You need to complete the course.

You could, if you chose, submit all your assessed work as a picture of a monkey and deliberately fail. Or you could try your hardest and still fail. But you need to actually finish the course and receive a grade, even if that grade is "fail". Dropping out would leave you with no grade and so wouldn't count.

I see.
Reply 16
What if I fail a unit? Would I still have to complete the other units?

As per PQ, and note your BTEC still has a value. You will have it on your CV for future job applications so it's not sensible to drop out from that perspective either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by baznoy
i received an unconditional offer from a uni but they've said its only unconditional if i put it as my firm. in the footnotes of the email it also states i have to get an A in a certain subject, so its not really unconditional at all.

Bizarre, it just says that I should keep doing it because of future employers and that sort of thing. Obvs if it has a grade requirement then it isn't an unconditional.
the ' unconditional if firmed' offier is NOT an unconditional offer in the terms that the vast majority of people understand it to be ...

a genuine unconditional UCAS offier is only given if you already hold the qualifications required to enter the course.
Original post by jneill
As per PQ, and note your BTEC still has a value. You will have it on your CV for future job applications so it's not sensible to drop out from that perspective either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed, can't say I think much of it as being valuable for preparation, mostly just googling stuff. I hate it, can't wait for university lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending