The Student Room Group

TFL Strikes - Are they fair?

Today has been hell in terms of commuting around London. TFL workers conveniently decided to strike near where I live and therefore neighbouring stations including mine were all closed. I took a different route to another station in a different borough - and what should have taken 40 minutes instead took just over 1 hour 20 minutes.

I am sick and tired of TFL workers striking. For starters, those drivers get paid a lot more than a lot of young office workers. There are a lot of people in this great city who earn less than £40K a year - you don't see them striking. People who also work in a position that requires a lot of technical skills such as Computing do not even get paid around the £40K - if anything they would be lucky! These drivers have to just ensure that the "computer" controlling the train is doing its' job properly. It is just simply pressing buttons here and there - no real brain work involved. Personally, I think they are getting overpaid! They work less hours than the people earning less than them and even if they did work more hours - it would be justified.

On the whole, if you have a problem with something or somebody be brave enough to STAND UP TO THEM. Don't put a city at ransom! I hope the trains become automated and controlled solely by computers like the DLR - then there won't be any strikes. I deserve to rant because I pay a lot of money too to travel - TFL is expensive and inefficient.

Who else agrees that these strikes are unfair? If I was in charge I would sack them all - I don't care if I went behind bars!
The whole point is to piss people off
They are just squeezing TfL for everything they have before they automate the entire system and put almost all of them out of work.
Reply 3
Not really, I never hear of them solving any of the issues they're disputing as the stand offs continue for many more months, really not fair on the millions of people who use it every day
Reply 4
Original post by Willy Pete
They are just squeezing TfL for everything they have before they automate the entire system and put almost all of them out of work.

I bloody hope everything becomes automated! I am sick and tired of these jobsworths striking over pay and working conditions. If you don't like it LEAVE! I am sure there are thousands of unemployed people who are willing to do the job for the same salary without complaining
They're striking and getting away with it because there isn't much replacement for them currently.

Wait for automation to almost fully take over and they'll get the sack just for thinking about striking
Reply 6
Original post by AMGJ98
Not really, I never hear of them solving any of the issues they're disputing as the stand offs continue for many more months, really not fair on the millions of people who use it every day

My point exactly! Nothing ever gets resolved. You don't see police officers or even doctors striking like this. It is ridiculous that these jobsworth are striking over pay and conditions. Mate, if I had a job where I got paid that much money to just simply press buttons - I would be more than happy
Original post by yunglife
I bloody hope everything becomes automated! I am sick and tired of these jobsworths striking over pay and working conditions. If you don't like it LEAVE! I am sure there are thousands of unemployed people who are willing to do the job for the same salary without complaining

They love their jobs, the drivers are getting paid a fortune because TfL can't afford to lose them. But why settle for less?

There are plans to automate the entire system, but as you can guess with a public works this huge it won't be for a few more years.
Reply 8
Original post by Kravence
They're striking and getting away with it because there isn't much replacement for them currently.

Wait for automation to almost fully take over and they'll get the sack just for thinking about striking

Yeah I bloody hope so too!

TFL should have automated the trains years ago - when they automated the DLR!

These workers are pushing it too far - especially the unions.

If I went on strike, my workplace would find a way to dismiss me
Reply 9
Original post by Kravence

Lmfao
Reply 10
They love their jobs, the drivers are getting paid a fortune because TfL can't afford to lose them. But why settle for less?

There are plans to automate the entire system, but as you can guess with a public works this huge it won't be for a few more years.

Yeah true about the automation.

Man what do you mean why settle for less? They get overpaid - more than the average Londoner working in an office job or a police officer
Reply 11
Original post by Casisalive
The whole point is to piss people off

Yeah whats the point in that though?

Lets see how these people feel when they are in need for medical treatment and all the doctors go on strike...
Yeah true about the automation.

Man what do you mean why settle for less? They get overpaid - more than the average Londoner working in an office job or a police officer

They are able to keep pushing fore more money, so why would they settle for less when they could have more? They are greedy like most humans and they know they could be out of a job eventually.

Might as well make the most of the conditions and harvest all you can before you are out of the job.
Reply 13
They are able to keep pushing fore more money, so why would they settle for less when they could have more? They are greedy like most humans and they know they could be out of a job eventually.

Might as well make the most of the conditions and harvest all you can before you are out of the job.

Yeah but people are made rendundent in any job in life. Do they complain and strike like a b1tch?

The approach in doing this is completely wrong. If I want something I go ask that person or company directly! NOT put a group of people or a city at ransom!!!

What are you trying to say man? That maybe striking is good or something? Mate, have you seen the prices to use the train network? People who use it regularly like me pay hundreds and hundreds of £££
Most complains are about working conditions and job stability tho not how much they are being paid
Reply 15
Original post by Casisalive
Most complains are about working conditions and job stability tho not how much they are being paid

Yeah but mate, surely they should know about the working conditions prior to starting the job? Even if they don't like the conditions then why are they even working there?

You don't see people in stressful jobs such as anaesthetic doctors going on strike because of "working conditions". This is a step WAY TOO FAR! If everyone from any job would do this and get away with it - then there wouldn't be much of a life!

If you don't like your job - LEAVE! Simple as. Don't cause an inconvenience to others because of your selfishness.
Yeah but people are made rendundent in any job in life. Do they complain and strike like a b1tch?

The approach in doing this is completely wrong. If I want something I go ask that person or company directly! NOT put a group of people or a city at ransom!!!

What are you trying to say man? That maybe striking is good or something? Mate, have you seen the prices to use the train network? People who use it regularly like me pay hundreds and hundreds of £££

Wow, so defensive.

I was just explaining why the staff strike. Enjoy the tube. :biggrin:
Stupid strikes - yeah they are so pointless. God knows what they are trying to achieve

Quick Reply

Latest