The Student Room Group

Splitting a function into 2 intervals

Consider the function h(x)=ex+ex2h(x)=\frac{e^x+e^{-x}}{2} for <x<-\infty < x < \infty

How should I split this into two intervals (,0)(-\infty,0) and (0,)(0,\infty) ?

Thanks.
Original post by AishaGirl
Consider the function h(x)=ex+ex2h(x)=\frac{e^x+e^{-x}}{2} for <x<-\infty < x < \infty

How should I split this into two intervals (,0)(-\infty,0) and (0,)(0,\infty) ?

Thanks.

Just say that x0x\not= 0 since the split interval does not account for it.
Original post by RDKGames
Just say that x0x\not= 0 since the split interval does not account for it.

Can you explain a little more? Like how do I break it down to get the two intervals?
Can you explain a little more? Like how do I break it down to get the two intervals?

Well the function hh is defined on R\mathbb{R} so when it comes to the interval (,0)(0,)(-\infty,0)\cup (0,\infty) it disregards x=0x=0 so your function get split such that h(0)h(0) is undefined.

In essence you have h(x)=cosh(x)=ex+ex2h(x)=\cosh(x)=\frac{e^x+e^{-x}}{2} where x0x\not=0

At least that's how I'd define h(x)h(x) across these two intervals anyway.
Well the function hh is defined on R\mathbb{R} so when it comes to the interval (,0)(0,)(-\infty,0)\cup (0,\infty) it disregards x=0x=0 so your function get split such that h(0)h(0) is undefined.

In essence you have h(x)=cosh(x)=ex+ex2h(x)=\cosh(x)=\frac{e^x+e^{-x}}{2} where x0x\not=0

At least that's how I'd define h(x)h(x) across these two intervals anyway.

h(x)=12[ex+ex(1)]=12(exex)h^\prime(x)=\frac{1}{2}[e^x+e^{-x}(-1)]=\frac{1}{2}(e^x-e{^{-x}}) so h(x)=0h^\prime(x)=0 ?

12(exex)=0\frac{1}{2}(e^x-e^{-x})=0

ex=exe^x=e^{-x}

e2x=1e^{2x}=1

ln(e2x)=ln1=0\ln(e^{2x})=\ln1=0

x=0x=0

Is this correct?
h(x)=12[ex+ex(1)]=12(exex)h^\prime(x)=\frac{1}{2}[e^x+e^{-x}(-1)]=\frac{1}{2}(e^x-e{^{-x}}) so h(x)=0h^\prime(x)=0 ?

12(exex)=0\frac{1}{2}(e^x-e^{-x})=0

ex=exe^x=e^{-x}

e2x=1e^{2x}=1

ln(e2x)=ln1=0\ln(e^{2x})=\ln1=0

x=0x=0

Is this correct?

I'm not sure what you are trying to do here? Yes h(x)=12(exex)h'(x)=\frac{1}{2}(e^x-e^{-x}) and the stationary point is indeed at x=0x=0 but if that's following from the previous part then we have a problem.
I'm not sure what you are trying to do here? Yes h(x)=12(exex)h'(x)=\frac{1}{2}(e^x-e^{-x}) and the stationary point is indeed at x=0x=0 but if that's following from the previous part then we have a problem.

Yes this is a tad confusing.:lol:

Cosh is defined for all real xx but it's not clear what the OP is supposed to be doing here. :hmmmm:

I'm trying to find the interval on which h(x)h(x) is increasing. Now that I've split it into two intervals I can show that h(x)h(x) is always concave up? I think...
I'm trying to find the interval on which h(x)h(x) is increasing. Now that I've split it into two intervals I can show that h(x)h(x) is always concave up? I think...

Well if you're trying to find when it is increasing, setting h(x)=0h'(x)=0 won't help with that as this is the stationary point when the function is neither increasing nor decreasing.

If a function is increasing on an interval then h(x)>0h'(x)>0 on that interval.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest