The Student Room Group

Cambridge University and Grammar School

Hi , I go to Bosworth Academy in Leicester . I was wondering if it is an added advantage if I did my A Level's in a Grammar school to apply to Cambridge University. Please can one advise me what they did in terms of getting into Cambridge?
i'm assuming you are in A-levels so i would honestly suggest staying at your current school. Mainly due to the fact that if u manage to get those top grades that Cambridge are looking for from a state school it will look more impressive than if it were at a grammar school. Oxbridge usually compare your results relative to the school you attended to so if u want the best chance of going there id stay. :biggrin: If obviously you feel like you wont do as well in a state school than you would at a grammar school by all means go ahead.
Reply 2
Original post by Capsul
Hi , I go to Bosworth Academy in Leicester . I was wondering if it is an added advantage if I did my A Level's in a Grammar school to apply to Cambridge University. Please can one advise me what they did in terms of getting into Cambridge?

As long as you get good enough grades context doesn't matter. They only look at context for exceptionally bad students with bad GCSEs but then picked themselves up at AS level.
An added advantage if the standard of teaching is really good so you're likely to get good grades but that's about it. Getting good grades vs getting into Oxbridge are not the same thing as everyone who applies has good grades. There's plenty of very high achievers at non-selective state schools and Cambridge will not favour you because you attended a grammar school. It's not about what school you went to, it's about how good you are and how much you know about and love your subject. Going to a grammar school means nothing, they give offers based on meritocracy not based on what college you went to. My state college is non selective, and we get about 15 Oxbridge offers a year. It's about the individual, not the school. If you're smart enough and love your subject enough, you'll get in regardless of your sixth form. Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Capsul

It's not an "added advantage", no. What's important will be your A-level grades, not which school you went.

That said, if a candidate does very well *despite* going to a less good school that can play in their favour. In that sense, Cambridge pays attention to the context of an applicant's application.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/contextual-data

What course are you considering at Cambridge, and what A-levels are you planning on taking?

Edit to add: I can see that Bosworth Academy has successfully sent students to Cambridge recently, so moving to a grammar won't necessarily "help" you that much. Your current school must be doing something right already.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by rosie.mn
An added advantage if the standard of teaching is really good so you're likely to get good grades but that's about it. Getting good grades vs getting into Oxbridge are not the same thing as everyone who applies has good grades. There's plenty of very high achievers at non-selective state schools and Cambridge will not favour you because you attended a grammar school. It's not about what school you went to, it's about how good you are and how much you know about and love your subject. Going to a grammar school means nothing, they give offers based on meritocracy not based on what college you went to. My state college is non selective, and we get about 15 Oxbridge offers a year. It's about the individual, not the school. If you're smart enough and love your subject enough, you'll get in regardless of your sixth form. Good luck!

Thank you so much! I was under the impression that besidesgood teaching the Grammar Schools also encourage students to go for awards e.g C.G. Kiddell Bequest price for science which gives added advantage in the application.
Original post by Capsul
Thank you so much! I was under the impression that besidesgood teaching the Grammar Schools also encourage students to go for awards e.g C.G. Kiddell Bequest price for science which gives added advantage in the application.

I've never heard of that, but there are plenty of opportunities at non selective schools. Awards and stuff mean nothing if you can't express how much you love your subject etc. It comes down to your passion for your subject and ability at the end of the day, not awards or prizes.
Reply 7
Original post by jneill
It's not an "added advantage", no. What's important will be your A-level grades, not which school you went.

That said, if a candidate does very well *despite* going to a less good school that can play in their favour. In that sense, Cambridge pays attention to the context of an applicant's application.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/contextual-data

What course are you considering at Cambridge, and what A-levels are you planning on taking?

Edit to add: I can see that Bosworth Academy has successfully sent students to Cambridge recently, so moving to a grammar won't necessarily "help" you that much. Your current school must be doing something right already.

Thank you for the link on Cambridge. How are you able to know Bosworth Academy has sent students to Grammar School?
Original post by Capsul

It shouldn't really make a difference either way. I'd just go with what you'd personally prefer.
Reply 9
Original post by Capsul

It doesn't matter what school you go to they won't give you preference just because you went to a grammar school. I know a few people who went to a Community school and got into Cambridge.
Reply 10
Original post by Capsul
Thank you for the link on Cambridge. How are you able to know Bosworth Academy has sent students to Grammar School?

Not to grammar schools, they have specifically sent students to Cambridge.

Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 12.07.12.jpg

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/undergrad_admissions_by_apply_centre_2015_cyle.pdf
Reply 11

sorry, i meant Cambridge. Thanks for the info !:smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Capsul
sorry, i meant Cambridge. Thanks for the info !:smile:

No problem!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest