The Student Room Group

English Poem

Hi, I need help! I have got an English poem to write by tomorrow but I don't know what to write. It needs to have 5 stanzas.
The poem is about: What it means to be welsh?
Try to include the key features of Wales such as the sports, landscapes and monuments, weather, culture etc.
I'll be very grateful if anyone could help me out as soon as possible. Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lily54321
Hi, I need help! I have got an English poem to write by tomorrow but I don't know what to write. It needs to have 5 stanzas.
Try to include the key features of Wales such as the sports, landscapes and monuments, weather, culture etc.
I'll be very grateful if anyone could help me out as soon as possible. Thank you!

This is fun. I'm not Welsh, but here in under an hour, is a poem that illustrates a couple of techniques you can use:

My dragon-rid land, my dragon-rid land,
I’ll speak from my heart of the Celtic heartland
To extol all the virtues of culture and song;
To do so in English just seems a bit wrong.

Now harken with passion to what I will say
About forefathers noted from back in the day,
Whose deeds give us pride and with feelings not bland
I wish I did witness them all at first-hand.

From Rhodri the Great whom none can degrade
To Gruffydd Llywellin so sadly betrayed;
Resounding with splendour, there’s surely none shrewder
Than the victor of Bosworth, and that’s Henry Tudor.

His spirit lives in us, no Welshman’s a mug be
He a boxer from Wrexham, a player of rugby,
A singer of anthems, of opera grand,
Or simply the lead of a popular band.

The climate, conducive to making us dour,
Yet gives us beauty like that of the Gower,
And ruggedness looms o’er the land of our birth
So never forget your birthright has worth.

Find some icons to talk about, that meet the specification. I've covered sport, music, the countryside and the history.

Pick a form, perhaps a metre and rhyming pattern that attracts you, and that helps convey your message (mine was bit tongue in cheek, of course, bit so could yours be). You can do this by looking at a poem you have seen. I used "A Subaltern's Lovesong" by John Betjeman as my model, which is a famous poem which gives an unreliable narrative of a real (unrequited) relationship, which seemed appropriate for my tongue in cheek approach.

Don't be afraid to use poetic or obsolete words, or even change the language a bit. here you see harken, and the reversed phrase opera grand, as well as the invention dragon-rid, which is analogous to hag-ridden (infested by hags), but could also mean free of dragons (as Wales really is). I've also lost an "ap" in a hero's name for the sake of scansion. All, that is fair game.

The key to poetry is compression, I think, giving the message in a shortened form, while waxing lyrical.

if you look at it, it isn't very complicated and tells a simple message of pride. You could choose something else, but that seemed to suit the brief.

Finally, I did it very quickly for a bit of fun, and you can too.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you so much! You have really helped with my homework.
Original post by Good bloke
This is fun. I'm not Welsh, but here in under an hour, is a poem that illustrates a couple of techniques you can use:

Find some icons to talk about, that meet the specification. I've covered sport, music, the countryside and the history.

Pick a form, perhaps a metre and rhyming pattern that attracts you, and that helps convey your message (mine was bit tongue in cheek, of course, bit so could yours be). You can do this by looking at a poem you have seen. I used "A Subaltern's Lovesong" by John Betjeman as my model, which is a famous poem which gives an unreliable narrative of a real (unrequited) relationship, which seemed appropriate for my tongue in cheek approach.

Don't be afraid to use poetic or obsolete words, or even change the language a bit. here you see harken, and the reversed phrase opera grand, as well as the invention dragon-rid, which is analogous to hag-ridden (infested by hags), but could also mean free of dragons (as Wales really is). I've also lost an "" in a hero's name for the sake of scansion. All, that is fair game.

The key to poetry is compression, I think, giving the message in a shortened form, while waxing lyrical.

if you look at it, it isn't very complicated and tells a simple message of pride. You could choose something else, but that seemed to suit the brief.

That is really terrific.
Thank you so much! You have really helped with my homework.

Just be prepared to sit down at it for an hour or two and concentrate, typing words and being prepared to backtrack and try again. A rhyming dictionary online might help too, and a thesaurus.

Original post by cambio wechsel
That is really terrific.

Thank you, but I feel many people could do something at least as good, as long as they have some facility with words and are motivated to do it. The key is that it really can be good fun.
Reply 5
Thank you for the advise! It really has helped!
Reply 6
What could be a good title to this poem?

I hope you're not thinking of submitting Good bloke's poem (?)
Original post by cambio wechsel
I hope you're not thinking of submitting Good bloke's poem (?)

That would be a terrible idea. The teacher could be a member on TSR, or at least a lurker.

I have decided to call it (slightly ironically, of course) A Welsh Heart Stirs.
Reply 10
No, I meant what will be a good title this topic.
Reply 11
Would "My Wales" be a suitable title?
Would "My Wales" be a suitable title?

Of course!
Reply 13
Thank you!
Thank you!

Have you written a poem? Or are you still working on it?

It would be great if you posted it here (after it has been marked, of course) if you feel happy to do so.

this may help Blodwen:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=60182949#post60182949

you could make it into five stanzas easy.

Don't be afraid to use poetic or obsolete words, or even change the language a bit. here you see harken, and the reversed phrase opera grand, as well as the invention dragon-rid, which is analogous to hag-ridden (infested by hags), but could also mean free of dragons (as Wales really is). I've also lost an "ap" in a hero's name for the sake of scansion. All, that is fair game.

wow.you should become a poet.This poem is breath-taking....
under an hour?wow.It would take me over a year to write like this.
Original post by tamil fever
wow.you should become a poet.This poem is breath-taking....under an hour?

Thank you. For fast poetry you should take a look at this old thread, linked below, and note the times between the poems (only haiku, limericks and clerihews though). It was a funny troll thread almost entirely in poems. I was a mod at the time which explains some of the comments, and Bear was there to enjoy the fun too.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=35394196#post35394196

See, poetry is great fun!
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you. For fast poetry you should take a look at this old thread, linked below, and note the times between the poems (only haiku, limericks and clerihews though). It was a funny troll thread almost entirely in poems. I was a mod at the time which explains some of the comments, and Bear was there to enjoy the fun too.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=35394196#post35394196

See, poetry is great fun!

Happy time !!

TSR is a powerhouse of poems... a repository of rhyme... an overdose of odes....
Original post by the bear
Happy time !!

TSR is a powerhouse of poems... a repository of rhyme... an overdose of odes....

... a hoard of haiku ... a surfeit of stanzas ... a veritably vibrant vein of verse ... a lyrical, luxuriant lavishness of limericks and a cornucopia of clerihews!

All boosted by the bounty of Bear's bright bonanza of beautiful balladry!

Quick Reply

Latest