The Student Room Group

Why does nearly everyone want to work in IB

What's the big deal? The job seems boring
Reply 1
May not be boring to some. Good career for them.

May be boring to some, but money may is a greater motivator to them then enjoyment of their job.

Personally, I think it's dumb to waste your only life doing something you don't enjoy. I'd much rather get a job I like and make less money. Others are different.
I actually find the job interesting lol. The money is just a bonus

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
The exit opps are fricking awesome
Cos $$$$$

When people say they're going into IB and they're not looking for money, ask yourself if you'd be doing the same thing if you were getting paid half of what you're getting.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Because they watched the Wolf of Wall Street one time
The money. Bit like actuaries, the job is boring as **** (my friends brother is one, he says so) but they make bank while not being chartered (or whatever the equivalent is)
Original post by NobleLeather
What's the big deal? The job seems boring

Although a lot of people try chasing the cash,
some people fall into it naturally, depending on what they enjoyed most from their degree. I have a friend working in investment analysis after graduating with an Economics degree from LSE.

Though the money is good, competition is fierce. Not everyone is cut out for job, takes skill and a big set of balls.
It's a cut-throat industry
Reply 8
Money
Prestige and glamour of the job/industry
Reply 9
Many don't realise what the industry is like, how fierce and competitive it is. How boring it is, how stressful it is… I know people in my school who want to be IBers don't even know what the job is but have just seen the money… good luck to them. It's not a nice life for most of them
Money chasers
Theyre honest with themselves about what they want from a Job. Better than working as a geography tutor

Posted from TSR Mobile
i heard they get free dinners
An excuse to snort cocaine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
models and bottles innit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by an_atheist
The money. Bit like actuaries, the job is boring as **** (my friends brother is one, he says so) but they make bank while not being chartered (or whatever the equivalent is)

Your friend saying that it is boring doesn't mean that it is. I know quite a few actuaries and they all constantly talk about how much they like it. It's constantly listed on "best jobs" and "highest job satisfaction" lists.
Boring is subjective. Some people are very interested in finance/banking, some people are not.
I like walking out the building into a free taxi home, like a celebrity, it's how I get my kicks - I even wave at my non-existent fans

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by sinatraa
The exit opps are fricking awesome

What do you mean by this sorry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Foji
What do you mean by this sorry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

you build a strong set of various business skills quite early on which are transferable to many other lucrative roles in finance/business

Quick Reply