The Student Room Group

GF eating habits changed

So my friend recommended this place as he said I'd (hopefully) get some support here. Recently, my GF has been asking whether I think she looks fat or not. Now she's actually relatively skinny and she looks fine in my opinion. I told her this and even added on (half jokingly as she is quite skinny and she would look a little more healthy at an average weight) that she might even look better with some extra padding. I think she may have taken a bit seriously. The next day she cooked a full English breakfast but ended up eating most of it herself (eggs, bacon, toast etc...) she must have had about 3 plates worth. Later on we went out and we went to this little cafe, I only had some hot chocolate as I was quite full from the breakfast but she had a large stack of pancakes with French toast and a large hot chocolate. After that we walked around town for a bit, got a few things then went to get lunch. This time, we went to McDonalds where she had some Chicken Select (I think it was 5 piece) a mocha frappe and 2 chocolate chip muffins. As we were walking away, she saw a shop selling cheesecake (her favourite lol 😂). She got three slices, 1 and a half for each of us. I managed a bit but I was sort of full and I'm not too keen on cheesecake so she finished the rest. After this, she said she was thirsty so we went to the newspaper shop and we both got the usual, some coke. Whilst we were there, she also got a Cornish pasty as a quick "snack". Once we got home, we ended up watching some film in which she got through two "sharing" bags of Doritos (not much sharing going on there). After all this, she said she felt slightly sick (really didn't surprise me) and kind of just sat back. Her stomach looked like it wanted to try and get rid of everything inside it at this point as she had to completely undo her trousers lol. After a few hours and a bit of a nap for her, we went out with a few friends who never came along once we were there so she suggested we go to the buffet near where we were. At the buffet, she got about three full plates of food and a large bowl of pudding, me on the other hand had 2 plates with a normal sized bowl of pudding. We actually had to wait a bit as she felt pretty uncomfortable with standing up. Just as we're about to leave, I said I needed the loo so I go there and come back to find she got another bowl of pudding as they had restocked their cheesecakes which weren't there before. Naturally, I start laughing as I know what it's like with her and her cheesecake. She proceeds to give me this evil look (not serious though) and proceeds to eat the rest of her food. Afterwards we go back (she looked a bit unsteady walking at this point but we got back into the car hassle free). I drive slowly as she tells me she ate way too much and it's uncomfortable. When we get back home we watch a little more TV. Just before we go to bed, she has another "snack" of digestives and hot chocolate (hot chocolate is one of our favourites 😅) but finishes about half the new packet of chocolate digestives. Looking back, she ate loads that day and she's certainly been eating more for the past week. I'm not sure whether it's just me but I'd say she's gained a bit since then as she seems a bit more softer than usual. Unfortunately, she's now been asking me if I think she's getting fat and whether I've noticed any weight gain. I've said no every time she's asked me as she always looks upset. I now feel really guilty, was it the jokingly made comment that I said early on? I don't mind her weight gain and I certainly wouldn't break up if she gained a significant amount as we get on so well! It's just I don't want her to feel bad or anything. Sorry this dragged on for so long, it's been eating me up (no pun intended) for the last few days and I really want to reassure her about this but I'm worried about what she might say and whether she takes it the wrong way. Any help would be appreciated 😓
Original post by Anonymous
So my friend recommended this place as he said I'd (hopefully) get some support here. Recently, my GF has been asking whether I think she looks fat or not. Now she's actually relatively skinny and she looks fine in my opinion. I told her this and even added on (half jokingly as she is quite skinny and she would look a little more healthy at an average weight) that she might even look better with some extra padding. I think she may have taken a bit seriously. The next day she cooked a full English breakfast but ended up eating most of it herself (eggs, bacon, toast etc...) she must have had about 3 plates worth. Later on we went out and we went to this little cafe, I only had some hot chocolate as I was quite full from the breakfast but she had a large stack of pancakes with French toast and a large hot chocolate. After that we walked around town for a bit, got a few things then went to get lunch. This time, we went to McDonalds where she had some Chicken Select (I think it was 5 piece) a mocha frappe and 2 chocolate chip muffins. As we were walking away, she saw a shop selling cheesecake (her favourite lol 😂). She got three slices, 1 and a half for each of us. I managed a bit but I was sort of full and I'm not too keen on cheesecake so she finished the rest. After this, she said she was thirsty so we went to the newspaper shop and we both got the usual, some coke. Whilst we were there, she also got a Cornish pasty as a quick "snack". Once we got home, we ended up watching some film in which she got through two "sharing" bags of Doritos (not much sharing going on there). After all this, she said she felt slightly sick (really didn't surprise me) and kind of just sat back. Her stomach looked like it wanted to try and get rid of everything inside it at this point as she had to completely undo her trousers lol. After a few hours and a bit of a nap for her, we went out with a few friends who never came along once we were there so she suggested we go to the buffet near where we were. At the buffet, she got about three full plates of food and a large bowl of pudding, me on the other hand had 2 plates with a normal sized bowl of pudding. We actually had to wait a bit as she felt pretty uncomfortable with standing up. Just as we're about to leave, I said I needed the loo so I go there and come back to find she got another bowl of pudding as they had restocked their cheesecakes which weren't there before. Naturally, I start laughing as I know what it's like with her and her cheesecake. She proceeds to give me this evil look (not serious though) and proceeds to eat the rest of her food. Afterwards we go back (she looked a bit unsteady walking at this point but we got back into the car hassle free). I drive slowly as she tells me she ate way too much and it's uncomfortable. When we get back home we watch a little more TV. Just before we go to bed, she has another "snack" of digestives and hot chocolate (hot chocolate is one of our favourites 😅) but finishes about half the new packet of chocolate digestives. Looking back, she ate loads that day and she's certainly been eating more for the past week. I'm not sure whether it's just me but I'd say she's gained a bit since then as she seems a bit more softer than usual. Unfortunately, she's now been asking me if I think she's getting fat and whether I've noticed any weight gain. I've said no every time she's asked me as she always looks upset. I now feel really guilty, was it the jokingly made comment that I said early on? I don't mind her weight gain and I certainly wouldn't break up if she gained a significant amount as we get on so well! It's just I don't want her to feel bad or anything. Sorry this dragged on for so long, it's been eating me up (no pun intended) for the last few days and I really want to reassure her about this but I'm worried about what she might say and whether she takes it the wrong way. Any help would be appreciated 😓

I think giving her some reassurance wouldnt do any harm, it could be that she did take your joking comment badly.
Reply 2
Yes, you were a little harsh even if you didn't mean it. She basically thinks that by gaining weight you'd find her more attractive so she's forcing herself to eat much more.

Even if she would look more healthy, I'm not sure that eating all that unhealthy food in a great amount is actually beneficial for her.

Tell her she doesn't have to change her diet for you as you find her beautiful anyway, but if she still wants to gain more weight to be more careful and to cook at home rather than eating out.
wow what a pig.
You should be eoncouraging her to eat healthily. Her binging and poor choices will make her gain weight and will be detrimental to her health.
Reassurance is what she needs. Tell her she doesn't need to change the way she eats because of you. You like her just fine. But if she wants to, then go about the change slowly and make sure to keep it healthy.
Reply 6
Original post by WoodyMKC
Jesus H. Christ... if Trump's wall is as big as your huge wall of text then it's safe to say that the US will be free of illegals from Mexico.

And we're paying for it...
In my opinion, I think she may just be binging, which is a natural thing to do if she has been restricting her food intake previously. Whilst your comment may have made her want to eat more, I highly doubt it would have made her want to eat this excessive amount of food.
Perhaps she has a history of going through the restrict/binge cycle, and after hearing that you would prefer her if she gained some weight, she might feel more comfortable eating around you when she binges.
Attachment not found

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
The next time she asks if she's fat just sit her down and tell her she looks great, she'd look great 10lbs lighter and she'd look great 10lbs heavier and you really don't care providing she's happy and healthy. Then ask her if everything is okay (because that's really not a normal amount of food to eat, especially if she's struggling to walk + in pain from eating).
Thanks, for the replies! She's downstairs watching TV so I'll bring it up with her tomorrow as it's getting late and I don't want an argument or something before bed. She binged out again today unfortunately but she hasn't asked me about if she's getting fat as I said she looked fine. She does seem to be in a better mood than usual since I've reassured but I do agree that this is unhealthy and I should at least try to get her to do it a bit more healthily if she does want to gain weight.

Before, she was pretty skinny as I could see her ribs poking out. She never really ate much before, always tried to eat healthily (like salads and low calorie foods).
she is eating too much
Original post by ciara london
she is eating too much

Thanks, for the replies! She's downstairs watching TV so I'll bring it up with her tomorrow as it's getting late and I don't want an argument or something before bed. She binged out again today unfortunately but she hasn't asked me about if she's getting fat as I said she looked fine. She does seem to be in a better mood than usual since I've reassured but I do agree that this is unhealthy and I should at least try to get her to do it a bit more healthily if she does want to gain weight.

Before, she was pretty skinny as I could see her ribs poking out. She never really ate much before, always tried to eat healthily (like salads and low calorie foods).

How the hell did I not notice your post lol?

Anyway, how much does this girl eat :gasp:? Jesus. Back on topic, good luck with tomorrow and I hope it turns out the best for both of you :crossedf::crossedf:.
Reply 14
Yeah you better speak to her becuase when the binge eating takes its toll she'll become bulimic. Eating habits should never drastically change too wuic and should be changed in context to your long term lifestyle unless supervised by a doctor or personal trainer
Original post by 152mmOfDerp
How the hell did I not notice your post lol?

Anyway, how much does this girl eat :gasp:? Jesus. Back on topic, good luck with tomorrow and I hope it turns out the best for both of you :crossedf::crossedf:.

Thanks for the appreciation. As to your question today she had 2 large bowls of porridge, the rest of a half eaten cheesecake left from yesterday, 3 slices of toast with nutella on top and some mocha for breakfast. After she had a shower, she went back downstairs and ate the rest of the porridge and 5 crumpets. After that, we did random stuff for the rest of the morning. Halfway through that, she had a microwave burger and some chocolate ice cream. We went to town after that as we didn't want to be stuck in the house all day. For lunch, we went to this restaurant where she had a 12oz steak with a side of skin on fries, bacon, salad and BBQ sauce. For desert, she couldn't decide between this chocolate brownie and a banana split so she got both.

After lunch we went to the park where she got a sausage roll and a slice of pizza with some strawberry milkshake. After that, we sat down for a while as she was too full to walk. We looked around the shops for the rest of the evening. Before we headed back, we saw some friends who we walked around with us for a bit. Once we walked around for a bit, they decided to go to the fish and chip shop. In there, she ordered 2 large cod and chips for both us, our friends did the same. As it started getting really cold we and our friends parted ways. In the car, I only finished 3/4 of mine as there was a lot. She was able to finish hers and once she saw I couldn't finish mine, she ate that as well.

As we were driving home, we stopped by the cinema as she wanted to watch Passengers. In there, she had a large fanta with a large box of salted popcorn. After the film, we went back home where she watched TV with one more "sharing bag" of Doritos. You could really see she'd eaten loads that day as her stomach was sticking out a little. Afterwards, she cooked some chicken and chips in the oven. She had legs of chicken and a large helping of chips while I had 2 legs and a smaller helping. For dessert, she had the rest of the ice cream with some chocolate chips cookies and whipped cream. She just sat there rubbing her belly for the next 10 minutes saying that she couldn't move. She didn't look like she was in pain, just really full

She really is eating a lot, she hasn't eaten like this everyday but this the second binge she's had :frown:
Thanks for the appreciation. As to your question today she had 2 large bowls of porridge, the rest of a half eaten cheesecake left from yesterday, 3 slices of toast with nutella on top and some mocha for breakfast. After she had a shower, she went back downstairs and ate the rest of the porridge and 5 crumpets. After that, we did random stuff for the rest of the morning. Halfway through that, she had a microwave burger and some chocolate ice cream. We went to town after that as we didn't want to be stuck in the house all day. For lunch, we went to this restaurant where she had a 12oz steak with a side of skin on fries, bacon, salad and BBQ sauce. For desert, she couldn't decide between this chocolate brownie and a banana split so she got both.

After lunch we went to the park where she got a sausage roll and a slice of pizza with some strawberry milkshake. After that, we sat down for a while as she was too full to walk. We looked around the shops for the rest of the evening. Before we headed back, we saw some friends who we walked around with us for a bit. Once we walked around for a bit, they decided to go to the fish and chip shop. In there, she ordered 2 large cod and chips for both us, our friends did the same. As it started getting really cold we and our friends parted ways. In the car, I only finished 3/4 of mine as there was a lot. She was able to finish hers and once she saw I couldn't finish mine, she ate that as well.

As we were driving home, we stopped by the cinema as she wanted to watch Passengers. In there, she had a large fanta with a large box of salted popcorn. After the film, we went back home where she watched TV with one more "sharing bag" of Doritos. You could really see she'd eaten loads that day as her stomach was sticking out a little. Afterwards, she cooked some chicken and chips in the oven. She had legs of chicken and a large helping of chips while I had 2 legs and a smaller helping. For dessert, she had the rest of the ice cream with some chocolate chips cookies and whipped cream. She just sat there rubbing her belly for the next 10 minutes saying that she couldn't move. She didn't look like she was in pain, just really full

She really is eating a lot, she hasn't eaten like this everyday but this the second binge she's had :frown:

Yeah, there's no need to tell us the story every time she binges hehe.
She needs to break up with you lol
She doesnt even love herself and the way she looks.
Christ. She's letting herself go. You think if the boot was on the other foot she would not tell you/stay with you? Sometimes you need to be ruthless and tell the truth
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest