The Student Room Group

Anyone doing A level English literature

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Paracosm
:hello:

Othello, A Streetcar Named Desire, A Thousand Splendid Suns and Wuthering Heights. :smile:

Plus two poetry anthologies that I can't quite remember the names of. :colondollar:

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini??? Omg I absolutely love that book. I didn't know this could be a book to study? I so wish I was studying that.
Original post by Nadine_08
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini??? Omg I absolutely love that book. I didn't know this could be a book to study? I so wish I was studying that.

Yep! Omg it's so brilliant, it made me cry though! :tongue:
Original post by Paracosm
Yep! Omg it's so brilliant, it made me cry though! :tongue:

Me too! It's one of my fav books ever.
Original post by England113
I am bad at English literature. I got E in the mock.

A bad mock grade doesn't necessarily mean you're bad, you just might not have the technique down. What dropped you the marks?
Im in Year 13 on the Edexcel Spec and doing:

The Picture of Dorian Gray
The Little Stranger

John Donne Poetry
Poems of the Decade Anthology

1984 - Coursework
The Handmaid's Tale - Coursework

How are you guys finding the coursework at the moment - if you are doing it? My question is asking about Dystopian Literature and whether or not it is characterised by totaltarian societal control leading to the destuction of the indivudal. I'm really enjoying the topic! But, finding it a bit difficult to keep under the word count lol.
Reply 25
Not explaining ideas
Original post by England113
Not explaining ideas

Ah okay. The best thing to help with that would probably be to look at model answers to get an idea of how much explanation you need. Just remember to back up every idea with an example from the text, and then explain how the example proves your initial idea is correct.
The Winters Tale
Persuasion
Regeneration
My Boy Jack
and war poetry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Currently doing CIE A-levels :smile:

Texts I did for my AS:
Selected poems by Ted Hughes
The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare
Absurd Person Singular by Alan Ayckbourn

Texts I'm currently doing for my A2:
Poems by W.B.Yeats
The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga
Othello by William Shakespeare
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
Original post by LeapingLucy
Othello, A Streetcar Named Desire, Heart of Darkness , A Passage to India

John Donne poetry, Poems of the Decade

And Great Gatsby and The Waste Land for coursework

I read A Passage to India last summer and found it hard work! I did not see how that would link that well to Post-colonialism and its Aftermath that well. You're with Edexcel which is a really good exam board.

Good luck!
We're doing Othello, and Death of a salesman
Reply 31
The Great Gatsby
Othello
Pre-1900s Poetry Anthology
Feminine Gospels
The Handmaid's Tale
A Streetcar Named Desire
and for my coursework I my set text was The Yellow Wallpaper, and I chose Wide Sargasso Sea
Hamlet, A Streetcar Named Desire, The Duchess of Malfi. The poetry anthologies are Carol Ann Duffy- Mean Time, Phillip Larkin- Whitsun Weddings and The selected poems of John Donne. I'm also stuck with the idiots that are WJEC :s-smilie:
How are people planning on revising English? I always struggle?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EmilyJade1999
I'm in year 13 doing AQA. I'm doing:
Wuthering Heights
Pre-1900 poetry
Othello
The Handmaids Tale
Carol Ann Duffy poetry
All My Sons

Almost the same except for All My Sons :smile:
Reply 35
Me!

I’m doing;
Story of Ourselves vol.2
The Namesake
Twelfth Night
Philadelphia, Here I Come!
Richard II
The Franklin’s Prologue and Tale

But i’m having trouble in writing essays & often get 12 out of 25marks during mock tests :frown: any help/advice on writing good essays?
Is anyone comparing A Doll’s House to Paradise Lost 9&10??
I’m also doing The Grapes of Wrath, The Great Gatsby and Hamlet - already handed coursework in for TS Eliot and The Road and A Streetcar Named Desire
Original post by Calicozone
How are people planning on revising English? I always struggle?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do revision cards of character quotes and themes and then critics - for hamlet I did it within acts and scenes instead though. It depends on the usual layout of the exam question. Then I just memorise. I usually also bullet point a small sheet on context and highlight key dates and info
Reply 38
Hi! Do you happen to remember what the Gatsby question was from your final alevel?
Reply 39
Hey everyone! Can anyone that sat the OCR English lit exam last year (2017) remember what the Gatsby question was?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending