The Student Room Group

Oxford medicine help!!

Hi! Basically, I was really hoping to apply to medicine at Oxford however I'm a little stuck. My a levels atm are Chemistry, biology, maths and economics. However I'm not sure which to drop? I was considering taking all 4 but a lot of my teachers are urging me not to :frown:. I got 10A*s in my GCSEs and have a few extra curriculars as well but I still don't know if my application will be competitive enough unless I do 4 a levels. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated
Reply 1
Three A levels and a brilliant personal statement would be more the enough, it really comes down to the interview and showing them that you are passionate about the course. If you want to do 4 Alevels next year go for it but it is alot more more then AS'.
Dude I find it ridiculously stupid that your teachers are encouraging you to drop an A-level when you want to go to OXFORD, this is OXFORD we're talking about ... you do those 4 A-levels and don't think twice about it! especially the fact that you got 10A* at GCSE just shows that you're more than capable of doing the work. Go for it mate. 4 A-Levels puts you at the top of the pile when it comes to Oxford!!!
However if you do start to find A-levels hard then you've got to be prepared to cut down on extra curricular activities, and manage your time well ... do the extra activities of course - that'll be the basis of your personal statement ... but A-levels are your priority. That's my advice anyways.
Oxford aside, medicine is one of the most competitive courses out there if not THE most competitive ... 4 A-levels will stand you in good stead not just for Oxford but also other universities around the UK and internationally.
Hope all goes well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thanks for the very fast replies! Do you guys think it makes a whole lot of difference that I go to a very good private school as well? (In the event that I take 3 rather than 4). I just don't want jeopardise my chances as I am really passionate about studying medicine and I've honestly always wanted to go Oxford (this isn't even a lie). 😄
Original post by amjam441
Hi! Basically, I was really hoping to apply to medicine at Oxford however I'm a little stuck. My a levels atm are Chemistry, biology, maths and economics. However I'm not sure which to drop? I was considering taking all 4 but a lot of my teachers are urging me not to :frown:. I got 10A*s in my GCSEs and have a few extra curriculars as well but I still don't know if my application will be competitive enough unless I do 4 a levels. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated

Economics isn't really a relevant subject anyway - do three, especially if you're doing Linear A levels where you have to remember two years of work for the exams in Y13
Original post by amjam441
Thanks for the very fast replies! Do you guys think it makes a whole lot of difference that I go to a very good private school as well? (In the event that I take 3 rather than 4). I just don't want jeopardise my chances as I am really passionate about studying medicine and I've honestly always wanted to go Oxford (this isn't even a lie). 😄

I think the fact that you go to a private school probably helps yes. It shows you've been able to get into a top school. But at the end of the day it depends on results doesn't it? If you feel in your heart that you're capable of doing 4 A-levels then honestly go for it! But if you feel that there maybe even a 0.1% chance you'll find it hard ... then do 3 - and do your best with those three! ... at the end of the day it's how hard you're able to work and apply yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I doubt you would be able to get in with those gcses. You still have a chance.

Just that the average oxford applicant has around 15A*s. Obviously there are people who got lower then you due to certain circumstances.
Original post by Kholmes1

Just that the average oxford applicant has around 15A*s. Obviously there are people who got lower then you due to certain circumstances.

tbh A-levels are much more important.
Plus more and more youngsters each year are achieving less GCSE's, it really isn't a big deal if you have less than 15 GCSE's - the grades matter, and what you do outside of education is also a huge factor. There are plenty of people who got into Oxford doing less than 15 GCSE's since it depends on what high school you go to - that is out of your hands. However the number of A-levels you do is in your hands.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Knackle123
tbh A-levels are much more important.
Plus more and more youngsters each year are achieving less GCSE's, it really isn't a big deal if you have less than 15 GCSE's - the grades matter, and what you do outside of education is also a huge factor. There are plenty of people who got into Oxford doing less than 15 GCSE's since it depends on what high school you go to - that is out of your hands. However the number of A-levels you do is in your hands.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. Sorry. That was a joke.
I would recommend you take a look at the actual statistics here

To summarise:

* The mean number of GCSE A*s for successful applicants is 10.5

* 60% of applicants do only 3 A Levels

* The proportion of successful applicants is the same for both state and private schools

* The mean BMAT score for successful applicants is 64%
https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

GCSEs are good. An adjustement is in place for those that go to under-performing schools so that would count against you slightly, but is outweighed by your higher chance of getting good grades in the first place. You will probably also get help with the BMAT and interviews, which state students don't get.

Most people do 3 A-levels. There is no correlation between doing more and getting in. You need to do the A-level combination that means you are most likely to meet the offer, currently A*AA. You need to keep bio and chem (bio for other unis), so there are 3 options: drop maths, drop geography, keep all 4.

The most important discriminators are the BMAT and then interview.

Original post by Kholmes1

Ironically, the average Oxford medicine acceptance does have more than 10A*s!

But its not a barrier to the OP of course.
Reply 11
Thanks a lot everyone for the advice! I think I'll go for 3 and drop econimics. I would have done more than 10 but my school wouldn't allow it. I'll make up for 4th a level with a great bmat score if I can and lots of extra reading! Thanks all

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending