The Student Room Group

When you think of Asian, who do you think of first?

When people say Asian, Chinese/japanese/Filipino and them lot pop up in my head. Not Indians Pakistanis and them lot. Don't know why though. My area is basically India. A lot of Indians in my area :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Myself
Curry ofc
"them lot"

Original post by retro_turtles
Myself

It's weird cos thought you were white then looked closer and realised you're not
Original post by emerald7770
It's weird cos thought you were white then looked closer and realised you're not

Yup :h:
Reply 6
orientals are usually the ones people are referring to when they say "asians". If an asian in question is brown, they'll be politely referred to as "south asian" or "indian"
Reply 7
I thought this said "Aslan" when I read it at first.
But yeah, oriental Asians come to mind first
Brown people tbh
So indians/iranians/pakistanis/arabs

Although now when the word pops up I am starting to think of East asian and SE asian too - jap/chinese/viet/korean
Pakistanis
Without context, both.
Reply 12
Original post by Rhythmical
Curry ofc

I was gonna say this but thought it'd be offensive then I see you... wow :tongue:
Living very near to Bradford I default to 'brown people'.

If you meant yellow people or browny-yellow people you'd need to specify that with East or South-east asian...

Otherwise I assume south asian/persian/arab.
Bao the hot Asian, shirtlesss bartender that served me in Vietnam.
Back in London it's brown people, in uni most people use it to refer to oriental people so now that's what I think first. If someone is brown just say indian or south asian.
East Asians.

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I thought this said "Aslan" when I read it at first.
But yeah, oriental Asians come to mind first

Reza. :tongue:
ermm like chinese people ect? :erm:
Reply 19
Indian/Pakistani for me

Quick Reply

Latest