The Student Room Group

Am I screwed?

I was studying my A-levels at a place called Lymm High 6th form college, and despite the fact I asked to be tested for dyslexia for extra time in the exams they turned me down. Of course when the exams came I did crap (C/D/E), and this happened for both As and A2.

I went to resit my A-levels at somewhere else called Trafford College and once again asked to be tested for extra time. Guess what? Lymm High was wrong, and I did need extra time. With the extra time I got an A in my maths mock test.

The issue is that my UCAS points are **** and the only uni I can get close to getting into is Liverpool John Moores University despite being able to get A grades. I really want to study biology at a good university, is there any way I can fix this? Is LJMU good? Does what uni I go to matter?

Please, I'm really worried about my future. I feel I should have gotten better grades the last two years but got screwed over.
Original post by Moomoon
I was studying my A-levels at a place called Lymm High 6th form college, and despite the fact I asked to be tested for dyslexia for extra time in the exams they turned me down. Of course when the exams came I did crap (C/D/E), and this happened for both As and A2.

I went to resit my A-levels at somewhere else called Trafford College and once again asked to be tested for extra time. Guess what? Lymm High was wrong, and I did need extra time. With the extra time I got an A in my maths mock test.

The issue is that my UCAS points are **** and the only uni I can get close to getting into is Liverpool John Moores University despite being able to get A grades. I really want to study biology at a good university, is there any way I can fix this? Is LJMU good? Does what uni I go to matter?

Please, I'm really worried about my future. I feel I should have gotten better grades the last two years but got screwed over.

Do you know what you want to study after graduating? If its teaching, you won't struggle to find work: there's even bursaries available as the country lacks science teachers.
Reply 2
Original post by Moomoon

I don't understand what the need for extra time in maths. DO you find it hard to read or write out your working? because there isnt much to read in the questions
Reply 3
Original post by KyleH123
Do you know what you want to study after graduating? If its teaching, you won't struggle to find work: there's even bursaries available as the country lacks science teachers.

I wanted to go into working with animals or research, something like that but I feel like thats all gone out of the window now.
Original post by Moomoon
I wanted to go into working with animals or research, something like that but I feel like thats all gone out of the window now.

Perhaps Zoology would be more appropriate then?

How old are you? You could do an access course if you're 19 or over.
Reply 5
Original post by Dafock
I don't understand what the need for extra time in maths. DO you find it hard to read or write out your working? because there isnt much to read in the questions

I sufer from really bad visual stress, it takes me a long time to read the questions, even when they're short.
Reply 6
Original post by Moomoon
I sufer from really bad visual stress, it takes me a long time to read the questions, even when they're short.

fair play, I guess you trouble on C4 then because they seem to prefer writing the information needed in essay form.
As long as you get a 1st in your uni course it doesn't really matter where you get it from. Just dont get anything lower than a 2:1
Reply 7
Perhaps Zoology would be more appropriate then?

How old are you? You could do an access course if you're 19 or over.

19 in march. I didnt know about access courses. Ill look into them, thanks a lot :smile:
Original post by Moomoon
19 in march. I didnt know about access courses. Ill look into them, thanks a lot :smile:

no prob, did you see my pm? :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by Dafock
fair play, I guess you trouble on C4 then because they seem to prefer writing the information needed in essay form.
As long as you get a 1st in your uni course it doesn't really matter where you get it from. Just dont get anything lower than a 2:1

Thanks, this has made me feel a lot better. Ive heard mixed messages about university choice being important. Some people say its really important and others say what you do and get in the uni is what makes the difference.
Reply 10
no prob, did you see my pm? :biggrin:

Oh sorry. Just noticed it XD. Thanks again for your help.

Quick Reply

Latest