The Student Room Group

Received an interview invitation for a foundation course?

I have applied to do X foundation course. It is art related but due to it being an FDA you don't need to show a portfolio of any kind. I contacted X university and they told me...
''We invite all of our home undergraduate applicants to attend an interview. The interview gives you the opportunity to view the facilities as well as discuss any questions that you may have about the course''.

IMPORTANT: I left school 2 years ago. So i already have my results and so I should get an unconditional offer after the 'interview' or if I was to give a good reason why i couldn't go... I should still get it if it really is just about me asking about the course (aka not crucial).

I didn't lie on my application what so ever but I'm worried they may bring bits of it up and I will panic which often blanks out my thoughts etc. If it really is just a interview involving me asking questions I wouldn't benefit from it considering I've spoken to pupils on the course and to the course directors themselves.

I'd just rather avoid it at all costs. It will cost me £120 in train fees... the 5 hour journey there and back isn't too bad its the cost. My mum is able to drive me up to the open day they have scheduled around March due to going up to that area for a day to see an old friend... luckily ... so I'd rather just go then and check out the facilities.

But... if the person who replied telling me that was just playing it off as some it's not... aka it is practically a uni interview to see if they want you... I guess I'd have to go. But I don't know why they'd tell me its just to ask questions and also on the course page it doesn't say you may be asked to go to an interview etc...
Original post by James385
I have applied to do X foundation course. It is art related but due to it being an FDA you don't need to show a portfolio of any kind. I contacted X university and they told me...
''We invite all of our home undergraduate applicants to attend an interview. The interview gives you the opportunity to view the facilities as well as discuss any questions that you may have about the course''.

IMPORTANT: I left school 2 years ago. So i already have my results and so I should get an unconditional offer after the 'interview' or if I was to give a good reason why i couldn't go... I should still get it if it really is just about me asking about the course (aka not crucial).

I didn't lie on my application what so ever but I'm worried they may bring bits of it up and I will panic which often blanks out my thoughts etc. If it really is just a interview involving me asking questions I wouldn't benefit from it considering I've spoken to pupils on the course and to the course directors themselves.

I'd just rather avoid it at all costs. It will cost me £120 in train fees... the 5 hour journey there and back isn't too bad its the cost. My mum is able to drive me up to the open day they have scheduled around March due to going up to that area for a day to see an old friend... luckily ... so I'd rather just go then and check out the facilities.

But... if the person who replied telling me that was just playing it off as some it's not... aka it is practically a uni interview to see if they want you... I guess I'd have to go. But I don't know why they'd tell me its just to ask questions and also on the course page it doesn't say you may be asked to go to an interview etc...

Ask them honestly if it's an assessment but it sounds like it maybe, you have the prewarning so there ll be a cheaper train fare available.
Reply 2
Thanks I will ask them. I'm quite certain I'm choosing the other uni I applied for of which have given me an unconditional. It just seems like a lot of hassle and expense to go to an interview at a place where I likely will not go.
Thanks I will ask them. I'm quite certain I'm choosing the other uni I applied for of which have given me an unconditional. It just seems like a lot of hassle and expense to go to an interview at a place where I likely will not go.

If you are certain you don't want it then don't go :smile:
I would be very wary of any art course that accepts applicants without seeing a portfolio
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
I would be very wary of any art course that accepts applicants without seeing a portfolio

It's a foundation course. They often do not require portfolios. The main course (BA 3 years) does require one.
It's a foundation course. They often do not require portfolios. The main course (BA 3 years) does require one.

Even for a foundation course I'd be wary - it implies that you could be studying alongside people with a huge range of ability/interest levels because the course provider has accepted anyone who applied without making any judgements about their suitability for the course.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
Even for a foundation course I'd be wary - it implies that you could be studying alongside people with a huge range of ability/interest levels because the course provider has accepted anyone who applied without making any judgements about their suitability for the course.

Well their game design course is considered the best in the UK and all of their games courses are well regarded. Foundations are often for people who have had no academic experience... i enjoyed doing graphics but was persuaded not to pick it for my GCSE's. The course is Game Art btw.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending