The Student Room Group

When you think of Asian, who do you think of first?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
brown people
which brit thinks of orientals when they hear asian?
Interesting so many people associate "Asian" with indians or "Brown" people. I've always associated the term with orientals.

I wonder if the strong association in Britain of "Asian" with Indians and Pakistanis etc is partly due to the usage in the press, referring to "Asian paedophile" rings. These "Asians" were never oriental and were always South Asian.
(edited 7 years ago)
anime
Context is everything. I tend to think of both asian as indian and pakistani and asian as oriental.
Reply 24
Original post by habeas.corpus
Interesting so many people associate "Asian" with indians or "Brown" people. I've always associated the term with orientals.

I wonder if the strong association in Britain of "Asian" with Indians and Pakistanis etc is partly due to the usage in the press, referring to "Asian paedophile" rings. These "Asians" were never oriental and were always South Asian.

No it has sweet fa to do with Asian paedophile rings and it has everything to do with the fact that areas high with south Asian and pakistanis(e.g. London/Bradford) have those guys refer to themselves as Asian and in other areas where people are less accustomed to those guys but know american culture refer to Oriental people as Asian.

I use it interchangeably as I know East Asian and South Asian people in my area but when I hear Asian I usually think India/Pakistan.
China etc.

Original post by Nerry
brown people
which brit thinks of orientals when they hear asian?

me

Original post by retro_turtles
Yup :h:

but you're so pale :confused:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
I think of myself

Myself

:five: Never knew that you were an Asian anyway. Thought that u were a white.
Reply 27
@retro_turtles everyone thinks you're white and everyone thinks I'm black :rofl:

Little do they know..
Original post by Reshyna
I think of myself

'a white'

:laugh:
Original post by CordialBoogie
anime

Just LMAO @ you if you don't have an anime gf

Lee min ho :biggrin:
Original post by UWS
@retro_turtles everyone thinks you're white and everyone thinks I'm black :rofl:

Little do they know..

i know hahaha

Original post by Reshyna
I think of myself

I'm pakistani haha

Original post by ChickenMadness
China etc.

me

but you're so pale :confused:

Spoiler

:lol:

A cyborg
Corner shops. Is that bad?

I'm pakistani haha

When I saw ur childhood photo in 'post a pic of yourself' I thought that u looked like a muslim kid. Pls don't mistake me. That's how muslims in sri lanka look like. Most of them are fair. But I never thought that u could be a pakistani. So u r in the UK or Pakistan?
Original post by Reshyna
When I saw ur childhood photo in 'post a pic of yourself' I thought that u looked like a muslim kid. Pls don't mistake me. That's how muslims in sri lanka look like. Most of them are fair. But I never thought that u could be a pakistani. So u r in the UK or Pakistan?

I'm in the UK
My dads fairly paler than my mum which can explain the pictures really
I'm in the UK
My dads fairly paler than my mum which can explain the pictures really

Ah alright. My parents are fair and I'm fair. I'm becoming fairer and fairer. Some people don't believe that I'm a hindu.
Original post by Reshyna
Ah alright. My parents are fair and I'm fair. I'm becoming fairer and fairer. Some people don't believe that I'm a hindu.

Awh haha
I think most white British people (that I know anyway) go straight to Chinese/Japanese/Singapore/Thai etc

Personally because I've got a lot of Indian/Pakistani/Sri Lankan etc friends I tend not to jump straight into any assumptions

Quick Reply