The Student Room Group

Is It Racist To Say This?

Was at a party last night, we started talking about BREXIT and one guy who's from the country said that he didn't like that there were so many Polish people in his village because in his experience a lot of them were rude, pushing past others in queues and being arrogant to strangers and stuff. And he had Polish young neighbours who kept playing music loudly and leaving passive aggressive notes.

Anyway half the guys had a massive argument and the 1st guy got called racist/xenophobic. I didnt say anything lmao :ninja:

Was my friend racist/xenophobic?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I can confirm he is a racist, xenophobic fascist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pulse.
I can confirm he is a racist, xenophobic fascist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And you are an ideological fascist typical of the
modern left.

To answer OP: concerns about immigration are not racist, if he was saying "white British is the best race on the planet and everyone else is untermenschen," then yeah, sure, if he dislikes elements of polish culture and the fact that they aren't assimilating then that is not racist.
Original post by Connor27
modern left.

To answer OP: concerns about immigration are not racist, if he was saying "white British is the best race on the planet and everyone else is untermenschen," then yeah, sure, if he dislikes elements of polish culture and the fact that they aren't assimilating then that is not racist.

Making derogatory remarks about Polish people most definitely is racist.
modern left.

Pretty sure he was joking. :P

I didn't think so either :dontknow: Or how it was "xenophobic".
Reply 5
Original post by PrinceWilliams
Was at a party last night, we started talking about BREXIT and one guy who's from the country said that he didn't like that there were so many Polish people in his village because in his experience a lot of them were rude, pushing past others in queues and being arrogant to strangers and stuff. And he had Polish young neighbours who kept playing music loudly and leaving passive aggressive notes.

Anyway half the guys had a massive argument and the 1st guy got called racist/xenophobic. I didnt say anything lmao :ninja:

I personally don't mind Polish people, I think more should move into areas like Luton, Bradford, Dewsbury, Birmingham and the Tower Hamlets
Original post by RedManc
I personally don't mind Polish people, I think more should move into areas like Luton, Bradford, Dewsbury, Birmingham and the Tower Hamlets

Bit harsh. :redface:
Original post by l'etranger
Making derogatory remarks about Polish people most definitely is racist.

Read the OP, he didn't make any derogatory remarks.

The guy clearly has had some bad experiences with poles and that has influenced his opinion.
Reply 8
Bit harsh. :redface:

Those areas need high eastern european immigration to lessen the threat of extremism.
Read the OP, he didn't make any derogatory remarks.

The guy clearly has had some bad experiences with poles and that has influenced his opinion.

Saying Polish people are rude, unpleasant and passive aggressive clearly is racist.
Nope. "Polish" is a nationality, not a race.

I'm going to assume the person that is being accused of being racist is White. Polish people are White, people of the same race cannot be racist to each other by definition.
Original post by benji177
Nope. "Polish" is a nationality, not a race.

I'm going to assume the person that is being accused of being racist is White. Polish people are White, people of the same race cannot be racist to each other by definition.

Racism is prejudice based on perceived differences rather than actual scientifically measurable ones. Race doesn't exist on a scientific level so this is not a satisfactory justification.
No I wouldn't say so. But it is very rude
Racism is prejudice based on perceived differences rather than actual scientifically measurable ones. Race doesn't exist on a scientific level so this is not a satisfactory justification.

Don't know why you're making it complicated. Polish isn't a race. Racism is being against a specific race.
Original post by PrinceWilliams

Frankly, it depends on the narrative you are trying to push.

Poles and other slavs are considered a separate race and a minority if Britons or other natives use target them.

In most other cases slavs (and those of Slavic descent) are just your average privileged white person.
Original post by Cherub012
Don't know why you're making it complicated. Polish isn't a race. Racism is being against a specific race.

This **** pisses me off more than anything else. Scientifically there is no such as thing as race, it's bogus made up, it's a delusion, yet racism is still something which exists because it's based on hatred of perceived differences therefore hatred of Polish people by British people is still racism, because the racist has created a situation whereby he perceives Polish people to be part of the outgroup and dislikes them on that basis.
(edited 7 years ago)
Unfair generalization, but I wouldn't get my knickers in a twist about it. Although, then again, I'm not Polish (yes, that flag on my profile is not a polish flag)
This **** pisses me off more than anything else. Scientifically there is no such as thing as race, it's bogus made up, it's a delusion, yet racism is still something which exists because it's based on hatred of perceived differences therefore hatred of Polish people by British people is still racism, because the racist has created a situation whereby he perceives Polish people to be part of the outgroup and dislikes them on that basis.

A race is a social construct - not science. Racism is based on this social construct. It's in the dictionary.

What do you mean perceived differences? Is perceived differences of homosexuals racism too?
A race is a social construct - not science. Racism is based on this social construct. It's in the dictionary.

Right so the racist in being racist is perceiving Polish people to be different from himself on account of his race.

What do you mean perceived differences? Is perceived differences of homosexuals racism too?

No it's homophobia because race and sexuality are not the same thing :dunce:
Right so the racist in being racist is perceiving Polish people to be different from himself on account of his race.

Except it's not on the account of his race - because Polish isn't a race.

No it's homophobia because race and sexuality are not the same thing :dunce:

I was referring to when you said racism is just based on perceived differences and not race since race is not scientific. I probably didn't understand what you said.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending