The Student Room Group

Should I go to A&E with my anxiety? (doctors/med students please HELP)

I've been suffering from 'death anxiety' (fearing I will die due to an accident performing normal day to day tasks) ever since my grandpa passed away unexpectedly last October.
However, over past few weeks my symptoms got worse. Its not just the death anxiety, I am basically scared/panic all the time. It gets to the point where the feeling overwhelms me so much I feel like the only way to release that pressure is to self-harm. I don't have necessary tools to do so (I used to self-harm using drawing compass to avoid blood), but I am reaching the point where I don't mind using the kitchen knife just so that feeling stops.
I am a medical student, currently learning about various infections and I find myself wishing that I get some very serious condition, just so that physical pain overtakes the mental one.

I organised a date for my boyfriend on Saturday, but I am so anxious about it. It makes me wanna cry, thats how bad it is. My bf suffers from depression himself and he told me its very hard on him to deal with that and support me and my anxiety. That naturally led me to become anxious he will break up with me and I can see our relationship suffering because of me. After all, it is not normal to be scared of your boyfriend (hes not abusive in any way, never hit me or even said something to harm me on purpose) and the thought of that is driving me insane.

Today I overslept for my lectures and it made me feel so bad. Like, not just 'damn, what a moron I am' bad, but bad as if I slept through an exam or something. I need to catch up on these lectures but the anger of missing them prevents me from looking at them. Furthermore, I already know most of that stuff as its a recap module and its something that interests me. Nevertheless, its very hard for me to stay focus and I get overwhelemed with very basic things that I used to know very well. Overall, I struggle way more than I should and I don't find it as interesting as I know I should.

So based on all that, I am currently in a VERY BAD mental state and I am quite tempted to just cut myself. I live next to a hospital and I told myself I will go there if things go bad. But now I am not so sure. A&E is understaffed and I don't want to be a burden on anyone. I also don't know if what I experience is severe enough to bother these doctors. I don't think I experience a mental breakdown, but I feel it is very close.
Reply 1
What you are dealing with sounds so painful and horrible. I'm not a medic or a doctor but I think you should go and speak to your GP and see how they can help you. Please don't feel you will be burdening anyone. Yes, the NHS is understaffed and overstretched but it is there for times like this when you need it. What you are going through is distressing and not healthy and therefore you have every right to seek medical help. I hope you do and I hope they help you to reduce your anxiety.
Reply 2
Original post by nrana1
What you are dealing with sounds so painful and horrible. I'm not a medic or a doctor but I think you should go and speak to your GP and see how they can help you. Please don't feel you will be burdening anyone. Yes, the NHS is understaffed and overstretched but it is there for times like this when you need it. What you are going through is distressing and not healthy and therefore you have every right to seek medical help. I hope you do and I hope they help you to reduce your anxiety.

I spoke to my GP and I also start CBT therapy next week. But I am not sure I can last till then
Reply 3
Just want to say that that's great start in itself. I know through personal experience how difficult it can be to actually speak to the GP about these things. Have you got any family that you can stay with until you start your CBT or perhaps they can come stay with you? Have you tried calling 101 to see what they think too?
Reply 4
Original post by nrana1
Just want to say that that's great start in itself. I know through personal experience how difficult it can be to actually speak to the GP about these things. Have you got any family that you can stay with until you start your CBT or perhaps they can come stay with you? Have you tried calling 101 to see what they think too?

No, im international student so family is far away. And they dont have any respect towards mental illnesses, they don't believe in depression and anxiety....you are either normal or psychic (schizophrenia etc).
My boyfriend is the only person who knows and as I said, he struggles himself and I don't want to burden him anymore. He also just finished exams so its beer and party time, not A&E with girlfriend.

I spoke to 111 once, they put me through to crisis call centre and the lady spoke with me...it calmed me down, but now its a different situation
Reply 5
anyone?
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I've been suffering from 'death anxiety' (fearing I will die due to an accident performing normal day to day tasks) ever since my grandpa passed away unexpectedly last October.
However, over past few weeks my symptoms got worse. Its not just the death anxiety, I am basically scared/panic all the time. It gets to the point where the feeling overwhelms me so much I feel like the only way to release that pressure is to self-harm. I don't have necessary tools to do so (I used to self-harm using drawing compass to avoid blood), but I am reaching the point where I don't mind using the kitchen knife just so that feeling stops.
I am a medical student, currently learning about various infections and I find myself wishing that I get some very serious condition, just so that physical pain overtakes the mental one.

I organised a date for my boyfriend on Saturday, but I am so anxious about it. It makes me wanna cry, thats how bad it is. My bf suffers from depression himself and he told me its very hard on him to deal with that and support me and my anxiety. That naturally led me to become anxious he will break up with me and I can see our relationship suffering because of me. After all, it is not normal to be scared of your boyfriend (hes not abusive in any way, never hit me or even said something to harm me on purpose) and the thought of that is driving me insane.

Today I overslept for my lectures and it made me feel so bad. Like, not just 'damn, what a moron I am' bad, but bad as if I slept through an exam or something. I need to catch up on these lectures but the anger of missing them prevents me from looking at them. Furthermore, I already know most of that stuff as its a recap module and its something that interests me. Nevertheless, its very hard for me to stay focus and I get overwhelemed with very basic things that I used to know very well. Overall, I struggle way more than I should and I don't find it as interesting as I know I should.

So based on all that, I am currently in a VERY BAD mental state and I am quite tempted to just cut myself. I live next to a hospital and I told myself I will go there if things go bad. But now I am not so sure. A&E is understaffed and I don't want to be a burden on anyone. I also don't know if what I experience is severe enough to bother these doctors. I don't think I experience a mental breakdown, but I feel it is very close.

A&E is appropriate if you are worried you are going to hurt yourself. There may not be much they can do other than keep an eye on you or arrange for you to speak to a mh team, but you can always go there if you feel you need to. You are not a burden for trying to help yourself and prevent harm to yourself. It's a wise choice to protect yourself.

Calling 111 is also appropriate. They can tell you what places there are around you and can even call you an ambulance if things are that bad. You can also call Samaritans for somebody to talk to.
I wouldn't go to A&E if you can help it. My experience is that they generally aren't very good with mental health stuff and unless they're going to section you (which takes A LOT as an adult, I know people who've attempted suicide and still not been kept in longer than medical treatment required) all that will happen is that you speak to a psychiatrist for a few minutes and then get discharged again after sitting there and waiting for hours. You should go if you think you might kill yourself or if you self harm badly and need medical care but I wouldn't go if you think you might self harm.

If you can't cope in the meantime making an emergency appointment with your GP ( you can usually do this on the day, if you call as soon as they open) and talking to people on helplines is a good idea.

Quick Reply