The Student Room Group

Better music: USA or UK?

Poll

Which country is better?

Which country do you think is better for music?

vs

Scroll to see replies

US.
UK x100. Probably a bit biased seen as I've had more exposure to UK music but the fact of the matter is that it's just better.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
UK

[video="youtube;fJ9rUzIMcZQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ9rUzIMcZQ[/video]
Splitting it up into genres is the only way I can even attempt this.

In terms of global influence...I think I'm going to have to say UK; we have Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac (I'm counting them as British?), Elton John, Bee Gees etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
UK purely because of indie music which is my favourite genre and a lot of the rock bands. Tbh it depends what genre but in terms of what I like, it's UK hands down.
Country music is great but I'm gonna say UK, we punch way above our weight.
Original post by Mistletoe
Country music is great but I'm gonna say UK, we punch way above our weight.

I definitely think this is true.
UK all the way...

Lets quietly forget about Eurovision though
The UK easily.
With massively influential artists and huge names like Sabbath, Ozzy, The Beatles, Zepplin, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Judas Preist, The stones, David Bowie... I mean you could go on for days.

The US has plenty of great artists, but I feel like they fall short when it comes to influential artists.
Original post by TheMcSame
The UK easily.
With massively influential artists and huge names like Sabbath, Ozzy, The Beatles, Zepplin, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Judas Preist, The stones, David Bowie... I mean you could go on for days.

The US has plenty of great artists, but I feel like they fall short when it comes to influential artists.

The US has plenty of big hitters & Bowie was massively influenced by Little Richard, and also got his name from America. I don't see how the US isn't that influential, when a lot of the names being posted were influenced by US rock & roll (if you go back far enough).

Repped for Sabbath though, they definitely don't get enough credit IMO.
USA :yep:
Call me back when the UK has the likes of Stevie Wonder, Earth Wind & Fire, or Michael Jackson
Original post by TheMcSame
The UK easily.

Presley, Madonna, MJ, The Three Kings of Blues, all of the big cats in Hip Hop (Grandmaster Flash etc), Hendrix, Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan?
Reply 14
usa !
Original post by RF_PineMarten
More recently, you could say groups like Radiohead, Oasis, Coldplay, etc.

I voted UK btw, but Oasis and Coldplay should not be on that list.
Original post by Onde
The USA is more than five times larger than the UK in terms of population, so has an unfair advantage. The UK is probably better all things being equal.

What good music is coming out of China/India? :wink:

It's amazing how good we are at music.
France
Original post by hezzlington
I voted UK btw, but Oasis and Coldplay should not be on that list.

^^
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
France

Christine & The Queens, Justice, Daft Punk and Air, what else has France given us :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest