The Student Room Group

We are the worst animal...

"Scientists have created a human-pig hybrid in a milestone study that raises the prospect of being able to grow human organs inside animals for use in transplants."

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/jan/26/first-human-pig-chimera-created-in-milestone-study?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

No other species has anything on us when it comes to inflicting misery.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathemagicien
lol

Animals don't just kill what they need. Animals often don't kill their prey "humanely". Many animals like to 'play' with their prey before eating them. Animals go around raping each other, committing infanticide.

You think I don;t know that?

A Cheetah has no choice but to slowly choke its prey to death due to its jaw being to week to kill it any other way. It's jaw is weak as a by product of evolving to be the fastest land mammal.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
"Scientists have created a human-pig hybrid in a milestone study that raises the prospect of being able to grow human organs inside animals for use in transplants."

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/jan/26/first-human-pig-chimera-created-in-milestone-study?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

No other species has anything on us when it comes to inflicting misery.

Blimey, sounds like the story Oryx & Crake is suddenly a reality!
You think I don;t know whether you do know that or not?

A Cheetah has no choice but to slowly choke its prey to death due to its jaw being to week to kill it any other way. It's jaw is weak as a by product of evolving to be the fastest land mammal. I know what nature is.

I don't care what you do or don't know. Your smug nihilist dismissal of my OP can do one though. Please show me the other animal that factory farms its food and will mess with the DNA of another animal to harvest organs.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
A Cheetah has no choice but to slowly choke its prey to death due to its jaw being to week to kill it any other way. It's jaw is weak as a by product of evolving to be the fastest land mammal. I know what nature is.

I don't care what you do or don't know. Your smug nihilist dismissal of my OP can do one though. Please show me the other animal that factory farms its food and will mess with the DNA of another animal to harvest organs.

Agreed.

Our descendants will look back in horror at how we treat animals. It is obscene.
I don't see how this is any crueller then the meat industry...
I think they will look upon vegans with more horror.

Got any other stupid comments?
For all their supposed cruelty, many humans seem to care a lot about animals' feelings, even to their own - and humanity's - detriment. If no other animals can match us in their cruelty, they also cannot match us in empathy.

So because a big cruel lion kills a zebra, we should take it out on farmed animals who are the most docile, submissive and passive creatures on earth?
Animals commit rape, male animals eat the offspring of their rivals and literal tear other animals apart for food. Humans do science, philosophy, have codes ethics but apparently we're the bad guys.
Yeah, that's precisely what I said... :rolleyes:

Who cares about scientific progress, the real reason we do experiments on animals is to take out our frustrations on farmed animals (many of which were bred to be docile, submissive and ultimately enslaved by humanity).

You said "For all their supposed cruelty (by non-farmed animals), many humans seem to care a lot about animals' feelings (of farmed animals)"

I think you are forgetting it is 2017 and there are plenty of other alternatives than the barbaric tests on animals
(edited 7 years ago)
If no other animals can match us in their cruelty, they also cannot match us in empathy.

Or stupidity.

(generalised point, not aimed)
Name ... a person dumber than the average koala.

You've spent enough time on TSR, you know they exist in their droves.
[video="youtube;5diQgv20ewg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5diQgv20ewg[/video]

That's amazing :rofl:
I love thoughty2 :biggrin:

Spoiler

Name an animal smarter than Einstein, or a person dumber than the average koala.

Chimps have been shown to have a far greater short term memory than most humans barring a few savants. That makes them smarter at doing that than Einstein was.
Original post by astutehirstute
Agreed.

Our descendants will look back in horror at how we treat animals. It is obscene.

That's weirdly progressive of you.
I find the way human beings can love their cats, dogs and bunny rabbits yet happily murder and eat other animals, rather horrific.

Animals, like humans are capable of feeling emotion and showing affection. Like humans they love and protect their young.
Original post by Bornblue
That's weirdly progressive of you.

That speaks to a stereotype you seem to have that I am reactionary. (And the fact that you seem preternaturally concerned with my views. :biggrin:). And/or perhaps a confusion inherent in the rebranding of a mishmash of "left wing " causes as "progressive."

I wish to see the House of Lords and Monarchy abolished. The only argument against both these things has always been the difficulty of agreeing what system would replace them. Is that progressive?

I would like the Public Schools to be all closed down (although I can't see how that would be done). Is it progressive to want to erode class privilege and the denial of equality of opportunity?

I am straight but think the prejudice that gay people still receive is appalling and that their right to marry was several decades late in coming. Is that reactionary?

And yes, I find mankind's exploitation of and extraordinary cruelty to animals morally abhorrent.
Original post by astutehirstute
That speaks to a stereotype you seem to have that I am reactionary. (And the fact that you seem preternaturally concerned with my views. :biggrin:). And/or perhaps a confusion inherent in the rebranding of a mishmash of "left wing " causes as "progressive."

I wish to see the House of Lords and Monarchy abolished. The only argument against both these things has always been the difficulty of agreeing what system would replace them. Is that progressive?

I would like the Public Schools to be all closed down (although I can't see how that would be done). Is it progressive to want to erode class privilege and the denial of equality of opportunity?

I am straight but think the prejudice that gay people still receive is appalling and that their right to marry was several decades late in coming. Is that reactionary?

And yes, I find mankind's exploitation of and extraordinary cruelty to animals morally abhorrent.

Wow I almost agree with all of that.
Except abolishing the House of Lords which is an important check on the government.

You clearly are intelligent, so I'm even more surprised as to why you've been such a troll and wind up merchant recently.

You're argument that water boarding isn't torture, was one of the most ridiculous I've seen on here.
He's "clearly intelligent" because he agrees with you? And he's a troll because he sometimes disagrees with you?

Intelligent because of nuanced positions. Troll because he's made numerous threads/posts goading others and trying to wind them up.
Reply 19
Original post by Bornblue
I find the way human beings can love their cats, dogs and bunny rabbits yet happily murder and eat other animals, rather horrific.

Animals, like humans are capable of feeling emotion and showing affection. Like humans they love and protect their young.

It's not really that horrific, people don't form bonds to farm animals tens and hundreds of miles away. Would you rather kill someone on a different continent or your own child?

Regardless, if the animals are killed instantly, and humanely I don't see the problem.

Quick Reply

Latest