The Student Room Group

Who here voted remain and who leave?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Voted remain on the basis of it being the only way to protect this country's R&D industry (which has to be the way forward for us - become a technology hub, not a corporate tax haven) and at this point I'm unhappily looking forward to being proven right. Definitely don't regret voting the way I did, even if it was futile.

The government cans till invest in science without the EU
Voted to leave, would do it again. Since we technically haven't left the EU yet this may be a question to revisit in the future.

I also believe however, if the remain campaign wasn't built so heavily on the negative side of leaving and all the scaremongering, And instead focussed on the benefits of being in the EU and why it was better in their eyes to remain the results may have been very different.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by karl pilkington
a poll would be useless as it would just be fifty fifty and wouldn't tell me anything I wanted peoples' views

It wouldnt have been useless at all. It would have given you the split of all four groups and you would have had more responses.. Mich more efficient way of collecting data. If they had wanted to make further comment then they could have done so.
Reply 63
a poll would be useless as it would just be fifty fifty and wouldn't tell me anything I wanted peoples' views

Then ask an open rather than a closed question.

50:50? There are many possible options that you could realistically have included. 999tigger is right as people would more than likely have elaborated as they have done.

1) Was and still Leave
2) Was and still Remain
3) Was Remain but now Leave
4) Was Leave but now Remain
5) Was Remain but now undecided
6) Was Leave but now undecided
7) Was Undecided but now Leave
8) Was Undecided but now Remain
9) My head hurts
10) What is the question again?

I'm a 1 fwiw and posts #66 and #67 save me typing some of the reason(s) why
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AHappyTeddybear

I also believe however, if the remain campaign wasn't built so heavily on the negative side of leaving and all the scaremongering, And instead focussed on the benefits of being in the EU and why it was better in their eyes to remain the results may have been very different.

I kind of agree. If they had focused more on significant reform right to the heart of the EU (not just Cameron's token reforms) - things like CAP, their democratic deficit with the EU commission, etc then I would have maybe voted to remain. I was undecided right until the end, and decided on Brexit because I felt a remain vote would just be seen as a vote of confidence in the EU and nothing would ever change, and we would then be stuck to it for the next 30-40 years at least.

Instead of anything to address all that, we got rubbish about Britain turning into North Korea, misleading claims about families losing x amount of money, and of course the "Brexit supporters are just stupid/uneducated/racist/xenophobic/whatever and don't understand politics and economics stuff that we still see from remainers months later. This snobbish "clearly we are right and we're so clever and educated and progressive and those leave voters are just stupid and don't know what they're on about" attitude was probably what lost them the referendum, yet they still don't seem to have learnt from it.
Leave, because the EU is a steaming pile of crap, which is growing by the day.

If I'm not wrong, most of the same vomit was spewed out about Britain being outside for the single currency debate - we stayed out, the Euro is an abject failure, has caused misery for tens of millions in southern Europe - and no-one talks about whether Britain was right or wrong to be out of the Euro any more.

The thing I really, really don't get is that prior to last year - no-one I know really gave a hoot about the EU. Everyone was incredible meh about it, until it came to leaving, and then people got really concerned that suddenly it was a pivotal part of human existence.
Original post by RF_PineMarten
I kind of agree. If they had focused more on significant reform right to the heart of the EU (not just Cameron's token reforms) - things like CAP, their democratic deficit with the EU commission, etc then I would have maybe voted to remain. I was undecided right until the end, and decided on Brexit because I felt a remain vote would just be seen as a vote of confidence in the EU and nothing would ever change, and we would then be stuck to it for the next 30-40 years at least.

Instead of anything to address all that, we got rubbish about Britain turning into North Korea, misleading claims about families losing x amount of money, and of course the "Brexit supporters are just stupid/uneducated/racist/xenophobic/whatever and don't understand politics and economics stuff that we still see from remainers months later. This snobbish "clearly we are right and we're so clever and educated and progressive and those leave voters are just stupid and don't know what they're on about" attitude was probably what lost them the referendum, yet they still don't seem to have learnt from it.

This they didn't focus on the positive aspects of the eu they either said everything was gonna go to **** if we leave or called Farage racist. They also didn't address the problem of free movement
Original post by 999tigger
It wouldnt have been useless at all. It would have given you the split of all four groups and you would have had more responses.. Mich more efficient way of collecting data. If they had wanted to make further comment then they could have done so.

jeez what is your obsession with polls get over it
It's also interesting that Tony Blair is trying to intervene if he had his way he would just block the result he also lied about giving us a referendum when he was in power
Original post by ChickenMadness
I didn't vote.

Didn't really care about the outcome enough. I would have been fine with either.

Same really, pros and cons for both and it's impossible to accurately envision exactly how either is going to pan out. Staying could have provided a chance to correct any mistakes or we could have just continued going down the pan, likewise leaving might either work out well or badly but again, no way to tell but I didn't see each choice as being either disastrous or the answer to all of this country's problems, so I didn't really care.
I would have voted remain.

I really want to travel all around Europe and with Brexit the prices will go up which is depressing :cry2:
Reply 71
Original post by SilverWater
I would have voted remain.

I really want to travel all around Europe and with Brexit the prices will go up which is depressing :cry2:
Show us your workings

If Sterling increases in value after the UK extricates itself from the EU and the economy continues to grow and strengthen as a result travelling to other European countries would actually be cheaper
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RF_PineMarten

It's not able to reform things like the CAP other than sovereignty that IS the issue with the EU

Posted from TSR Mobile
I voted leave, no regrets.
The government cans till invest in science without the EU

They could, but they won't. Domestic investment is a disgrace while we were net beneficiaries of the eus research budget - and successive governments have shown pure contempt for STEM (the sacking of professor nutt, the appointments of trennedick and dories to science based select committees...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Never
would do so again in a heartbeat given how we now have a us special relationship and due to the huge economic success thus far. Also, the chair of the polling council supports this view.
According to him, you are just holding onto the wishful thinking that there is some sort of buyer's remorse- there isn't. get over it.
Reply 77
We can't change what we did, although it won't affect us as much as it would effect our next generation, we decided their fate. to some it may be positive, to some it may be negative, we can't all have what we want, so just learn to deal with it, that's how life works. :smile:
I voted Leave and don't regret it at all.
Original post by viffer
Show us your workings

If Sterling increases in value after the UK extricates itself from the EU and the economy continues to grow and strengthen as a result travelling to other European countries would actually be cheaper

But the sterling has fallen and hasn't recouped its value since Brexit.

Sure the "experts" are saying sterling will rise this year which may happen but would sterling be as strong if the UK were in the EU than out of it? Answer is no.

More importantly why would sterling rise at the moment or the near future greatly?I mean investment from FDIs isnt exactly attractive if you leave on of the largest markets.

Yes, if sterling rises due to us leaving the EU then my point is null but to me this won't be happening any time soon.

Quick Reply

Latest