The Student Room Group

co-ed vs single sex

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zangoose
You are. I cry myself to sleep each night, knowing I will never live up to your greatness. In fact, most nights I don't even sleep.

And, if you must know, I accumulated these red gems from butthurt users back in the good ol' days of 'neg-repping' but of course you're far too young to know what I'm talking about. Isn't it past your bedtime, young'un?

I know exactly what you mean. :h:

Prey tell, why did people 'neg-rep' you?
That is the question.
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Hahha this kinda proves her point lmao

That all girls are the same.
OK, mate. :h:
All single sex schooling achieves is threads on tsr's relationships section where some kid has never really spoken to the opposite sex and thinks they're some sort of alien race they have to handle totally differently to how they would talk to their own sex.
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
That all girls are the same.
OK, mate. :h:

I didnt really read the whole exchange , i just felt like annoying you ;(
Original post by TSR Mustafa
I didnt really read the whole exchange , i just felt like annoying you ;(

You achieved your goal.:angry:
I know exactly what you mean. :h:

Prey tell, why did people 'neg-rep' you?
That is the question.

IDK, you'd have to ask them. The word 'uffendid' springs to mind though. And stop putting smiley faces in your messages! Sheesh!
IDK, you'd have to ask them. The word 'uffendid' springs to mind though. And stop putting smiley faces in your messages! Sheesh!

Man, I'll have to stalk your post history.

:h: :h: :h: :h: :h:
Man, I'll have to stalk your post history.

:h: :h: :h: :h: :h:

Enjoy! Lemme know how it goes
Enjoy! Lemme know how it goes

Will do. :wink:
Co-ed. Academics aside, all the single sex schools I know (girls or boys) have far more sexual stuff going on than you'd think. And the old, single sex boys schools ALL have at least a few teachers who sexually harass the kids.
(Also, I have a friend who is at a single sex girls' school, and when I asked her about (I assumed) how there was probably not much relationship stuff going on, she just said that loads of the girls are lesbian - many just from peer pressure. Plus, apparently the bullying is very bad. Nope, co-ed for me!)
Original post by kiran.malik123
Just **** off lol you proved my point completely by *****ing at me for no reason. I'm not offended at all I just find you pathetic af. I'm not wasting anymore time arguing with you anyway so bye ***** have a nice life. :smile:

In single sex schools you're more likely to have more people trying to be the popular kid hence bullying is probs more common (happened to my mum, every school she went to school was girl only and she got heavily bullied. But that was just my mum. My dad came from a mix gender and he got bullied but nowhere near as much.

I personally feel mix gender is better as you get a feel of what the opposite gender is like so when you get to work life you won't be like "why are they acting wierd all the time" :P
I don't understand why single-sex schools still have teachers from the opposite sex. Yes, boys/girls can be a distraction but so can teachers in some cases. If you're going to segregate the genders, do it properly.
Not that I think it's right, but there is no logic behind making a school for one sex to attend and then hiring staff from the opposite sex.
Original post by Nottie
that is a fair point.
However, I don't think its the co-ed or single-sex school system that is to blame here.
Gender stereotypes arise (IMO) primarily due to bad parenting. Mothers raise their daughter to be 'good wives and mothers' and their sons to be 'rich heart-throbs'. Kids go to school with bad attitude already.

The article suggests that while parenting is at blame, too, it is not the only factor.

E.g. a feminist I know was shocked when her young kids made a comment about why she is never there and asking them what they mean the answer was "well mummies stay home and daddies go to work". It's what they saw in their social setting. It sets a bad example.

Incidentally, it is why I am personally so vehemently opposed to Islam - it is a dangerous ideology that brainwashes its followers into a certain way of thinking (that, in my personal opinion, is very harmful). E.g. the belief that being "modest" is a good thing and that a headscarf makes you modest, hence it is a good thing.
I see single-sex schools as largely archaic. I see no real reason for them. Oddly enough, some people are able to control their hormones.

Original post by LeCroissant
I don't understand why single-sex schools still have teachers from the opposite sex. Yes, boys/girls can be a distraction but so can teachers in some cases. If you're going to segregate the genders, do it properly.
Not that I think it's right, but there is no logic behind making a school for one sex to attend and then hiring staff from the opposite sex.

This would likely collide with the equality act.
(edited 7 years ago)
I went to an all girls Catholic school, and every single day there was at least one fight, bullying was awful, rumours were extreme and overall, everyone was a *****. However, I don't think I would've preferred to go to a Co-ed school, all co-ed school in my area are poor academically & behaviourally. Although, I would say that socially when it comes to speaking to guys, it is a bit difficult as I obviously spent 5 years not speaking to any guys, which I feel as though it has affected my social skills to a great extent.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by jonathanemptage
Is single sex or co-ed better?

Having gone to an all boys school i think co-ed is better there is too much aggression with an all boys school all trying to be top dog a couple of girls could have helped temper that i think how do you guys feel? I would have preferred co-ed.

I wish if i could have gone to a co-ed sex school. I went to an all boys school and i am soo nervous speaking to girls.....
Original post by jonathanemptage
Is single sex or co-ed better?

Having gone to an all boys school i think co-ed is better there is too much aggression with an all boys school all trying to be top dog a couple of girls could have helped temper that i think how do you guys feel? I would have preferred co-ed.

I've been to both and you're pretty much right there. Far, far better in co-ed schools. Single-sex schools are hellish and outdated.
Original post by cbreef
All male/All female schools probably benefit from the lack of distractions from the opposite sex. The last thing you need is a really attractive human of the opposite sex sitting next to you as you try to learn. :tongue:
schools are supposed to prepare you for life : since you will spend your life with the opposite gender, you might just as well start practicing as soon as possible
Reply 59
Mixed is way better than single sex school. you get to experience young love, although some time it isn't so nice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending