The Student Room Group

Better music: USA or UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hezzlington
Splitting it up into genres is the only way I can even attempt this.

In terms of global influence...I think I'm going to have to say UK; we have Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac (I'm counting them as British?), Elton John, Bee Gees etc.
If you go with their earlier lineup, they were British and they were awesome.

Totally got it though.
The UK. And not because of it's influential artists. I've found ridiculously good music from some of the most underrated/lesser known artists in the UK. There's just this insane diversity in the UK that you would normally expect from the US, given its size and all...
Original post by DarkEnergy
UK. The US only beats us when it comes to hip-hop and rap, but even then we're slowly catching up.
Also just noticed I voted for the wrong option, oops.

What great hip hop artists do we have?

I use the word great, not popular or good. (Gorillaz don't count)

The state of hip hop in the US is a f***ing mess tbh. Most of our grime MCs piss all over the Americans, and considering that most grime MCs also do hip hop.... yeah :tongue:
Original post by WoodyMKC
The state of hip hop in the US is a f***ing mess tbh. Most of our grime MCs piss all over the Americans, and considering that most grime MCs also do hip hop.... yeah :tongue:

Still lots of good hip hop coming out, you just have to sift through the drivel. I hate grime so no comment :wink:
More or less the same stuff is played in both countries. I think the UK produces the better music but music is all personal taste anyway.

That is a very bold statement. Out of interest, which ones?
Original post by Wilfred Little
That is a very bold statement. Out of interest, which ones?

Most of them tbh. Devlin, definitely as good a lyricist as any American rapper, he could even battle Eminem and hold his own. Guys like Skepta, Wiley, JME, they've just got everything you could ask for in an MC. Krept & Konan, who can make pure pop music and then come back in and still show how great they are on freestyles and serious tracks. Giggs epitomises UK gangsta rap and can go as hard as any American I can think of these days.

Just off the top of my head and my own opinion of course, and I do genuinely believe that any US rapper you can pick, you could pick a UK rapper or MC that could outdo them.
Most of them tbh. Devlin, definitely as good a lyricist as any American rapper, he could even battle Eminem and hold his own. Guys like Skepta, Wiley, JME, they've just got everything you could ask for in an MC. Krept & Konan, who can make pure pop music and then come back in and still show how great they are on freestyles and serious tracks. Giggs epitomises UK gangsta rap and can go as hard as any American I can think of these days.

Just off the top of my head and my own opinion of course, and I do genuinely believe that any US rapper you can pick, you could pick a UK rapper or MC that could outdo them.

What album by a UK artist could match something like Illmatic (not even a Nas fanboy, generally think his discography is kinda bad).

Pharoahe Monch? Mos Def, Talib Kwel? Any of the older guys? ATCQ?
(edited 7 years ago)
What album by a UK artist could match something like Illmatic (not even a Nas fanboy, generally think his discography is bad).

I wouldn't compare. I'm generally talking about nowadays, the UK are better than the US. American rap in the 90s is unbeatable, IMO. I'd still say 2Pac and Biggie's works are unparalleled, by any rapper alive UK or US. Could Nas make anything remotely as good as Illmatic these days? No chance :lol: but since the turn of the millennium, as the years have gone by, the UK MCs have become better than the Americans.
(edited 7 years ago)
What album by a UK artist could match something like Illmatic (not even a Nas fanboy, generally think his discography is kinda bad).

Boy In Da Corner is often compared to it. I'm not saying it's as good as Illmatic but I can understand the comparison. It's constantly seen as the benchmark every time something half decent is released as tbh it's pretty much the only genuinely great album to come from Grime.

Albums are where it's at though. Lots of guys can make tracks and sound good spitting but too often when the album comes out it doesn't cut the mustard.
Original post by Amefish
Let's forget this monstrosity :eek:

[video="youtube;OYgE7O0OLyw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYgE7O0OLyw[/video]

Was that the year that the awesome monster metal band won? I think it was and that was first time I watched Eurovision :rofl: I remember how traumatised I was by the British entry :p:
Original post by Craghyrax
Was that the year that the awesome monster metal band won? I think it was and that was first time I watched Eurovision :rofl: I remember how traumatised I was by the British entry :p:

I think so! Exactly the same for me :smile:
Surprised at the results of the poll tbh.
Reply 53
I voted US. The UK put out a lot of good rock acts and it was always ahead in the punk and post-punk scenes, but all the best

Hip Hop
Soul
RnB
Jazz
Folk

artists are/were from the US. Overall it's not even close tbh.

As a side note, I can't believe one guy in this thread is saying the likes of JME and Devlin are better than American Rappers!! Although given the artists he's mentioning are JME, Wiley, Giggs and Eminem, etc. it seems like he probably hasn't actually listened to any music since about 2008. :rofl: Just my opinion of course, no hard feelings!
Reply 54
Original post by alexschmalex
Call me back when the UK has the likes of Stevie Wonder, Earth Wind & Fire, or Michael Jackson

The U.K. doesn’t have the likes of them artists, we have better
Original post by Roga35
The U.K. doesn’t have the likes of them artists, we have better

Better than Stevie Wonder?
Historically and currently, most of the music I'd consider to be top quality has come out of the UK. The yanks either ripped it off or we took and made it better. Currently, the UK is almost as influential in the pop scene as it was in the 80s.
Reply 57
Original post by Wilfred Little
Better than Stevie Wonder?

Yes
Reply 58
USA 100%
Original post by Roga35
Yes

I can't really see anyone from the UK better than him.

I think the UK does pop music and maybe a couple of other things better and the US does blues, soul, country & Hip-Hop better.

Quick Reply

Latest